O Line

HuckFinn

Read Chad L.’s extensive interaction with our O Line coach. Lots of stuff totally new to me.

Key takeaway is iowa's OL is extremely experienced this year. I anticipate 4+ypc average for the rb and if this happens the stars are aligned to be a special season.

The Oline is veteran and has good size. That is a start. Of course, almost all of those starts have been for an offense that was completely incompetent.

I think the OL will benefit the most from improved QB play and playcalling. Its hard to be effective as an OL if the D knows it can load the box and sell out for the run or short pass on nearly every play. Lester's offense will be more multifaceted and that will hopefully keep the D less on their toes and more on their heels. BF's offense wasn't even one-dimensional. It was no dimensional.

I was fascinated with the “empty cupboard” comments that confirmed why the last O line coach was let go. Then, of course, multiple injuries, no depth, and as mentioned above, no passing attack and dismal QB play. Perfect storm.

Huck where was that comment made?

Huck where was that comment made?
All in Chad’s article. The necessary total rebuild left by Poleseck (sp?) was clearly stated. I may have overstated on why P. Was let go, but you should read the remarks. I just drew a conclusion. Other comments were clearly stated. I have a membership on Hawk Central. And, they often post freebies on Facebook.

Iowa will gain 2,500 rushing yards this year.
Please send me an ounce of what you're currently smokin' -- must be good stuff! (Payment to you when Hawks run for 2,501 yards.) What makes this unlikely is I read somewhere that something like 8 of Iowa's opponents this year have Defenses ranked in the Top 30 in the nation. Ain't gonna be easy sleddin', new OC or not.

Please send me an ounce of what you're currently smokin' -- must be good stuff! (Payment to you when Hawks run for 2,501 yards.) What makes this unlikely is I read somewhere that something like 8 of Iowa's opponents this year have Defenses ranked in the Top 30 in the nation. Ain't gonna be easy sleddin', new OC or not.
am i doing it right?

1720804958396.png

The Oline is veteran and has good size. That is a start. Of course, almost all of those starts have been for an offense that was completely incompetent.

I think the OL will benefit the most from improved QB play and playcalling. Its hard to be effective as an OL if the D knows it can load the box and sell out for the run or short pass on nearly every play. Lester's offense will be more multifaceted and that will hopefully keep the D less on their toes and more on their heels. BF's offense wasn't even one-dimensional. It was no dimensional.

No dimensional offense. Let me see here……… defensive scheme against our offense last season…………. Just lie down and they will just trip over us and fall to the ground.

Lester knows his crap and his offense will be multi dimensional. Plus he knows the QB position to help coach up the QB’s.

I have hopes that this OL will finally click and benefit from individual and group development. Barring the injury bug, there's no reason it shouldn't happen. The scheme change should help, in theory, but the struggles have gone far beyond stale scheme.

One issue could be that Iowa is more or less playing for five guards. Richman and Dunker are interior prospects for the NFL. They can be good enough at this level, however, if they've taken another step forward. Same with Colby, Jones and DeJong inside.

I do think saying that TP left a big rebuild for GB is misleading (I have not read article). There are cycles, yes, and there have been injuries, but there's no excuse for the OL at Iowa to be as bad as its been under GB. And it's not all on him but it wasn't all on KC at WR either.

You have to be able to develop most of the players at Iowa, especially on the lines. We're seeing it on the D-Line. It reloads.

No dimensional offense. Let me see here……… defensive scheme against our offense last season…………. Just lie down and they will just trip over us and fall to the ground.

Lester knows his crap and his offense will be multi dimensional. Plus he knows the QB position to help coach up the QB’s.
FIRE TIM LESTER!

I have hopes that this OL will finally click and benefit from individual and group development. Barring the injury bug, there's no reason it shouldn't happen. The scheme change should help, in theory, but the struggles have gone far beyond stale scheme.

One issue could be that Iowa is more or less playing for five guards. Richman and Dunker are interior prospects for the NFL. They can be good enough at this level, however, if they've taken another step forward. Same with Colby, Jones and DeJong inside.

I do think saying that TP left a big rebuild for GB is misleading (I have not read article). There are cycles, yes, and there have been injuries, but there's no excuse for the OL at Iowa to be as bad as its been under GB. And it's not all on him but it wasn't all on KC at WR either.

You have to be able to develop most of the players at Iowa, especially on the lines. We're seeing it on the D-Line. It reloads.
There was a lot of blame to go around for the pathetic offense the last three seasons, and OL coaching is certainly in that mix. But, I don't think you really need to go much past BF. His inability to recruit and develop the most important position on the field was what damned the offense. Lord knows he was not a creative enough playcaller to make up for the fact that whatever QB he stuck back there was either playing on one leg or should be playing right tackle for a Division II school. No offense can be successful with atrocious QB play and a 6-play playbook. GB's group damn well better perform this year. They are all out of excuses.

If we cannot pass we will not run against good D's. It pivots off the pass game. Pass game was abysmal, has been abysmal, gotta change or another version of bottom of the barrel offense, save us D kinda play upcoming. QB, receivers must be involved. Kinda like 95% of the rest of Div 1 and 2 offenses do.

This is a simple conclusion. I just don't think that those 4-5 offensive linemen are very good. What alarms me is nobody is beating them out. OK So maybe they are ok and its been scheme, injuries and previously it was inexperience and QB play. Or we've got a really bad problem with talent on #1s and 2s as well

This is a simple conclusion. I just don't think that those 4-5 offensive linemen are very good. What alarms me is nobody is beating them out. OK So maybe they are ok and its been scheme, injuries and previously it was inexperience and QB play. Or we've got a really bad problem with talent on #1s and 2s as well
I don't agree. They took their lumps as younger players and in a terrible offensive system. Its not like KF suddenly forgot how to develop OLs. They were just put into an impossible situation given the atrocious QB play the last three seasons. There are several midround draft picks on that line, but I don't see a first rounder right now.

I seem to recall a skinny LT named Gallery that didn't look amazing his first season or two. But, then he added 40 pounds and started blocking for Freddy and Banks and he looked pretty damn amazing. OL takes time. These boys have had that. Its time to perform now.

I don't agree. They took their lumps as younger players and in a terrible offensive system. Its not like KF suddenly forgot how to develop OLs. They were just put into an impossible situation given the atrocious QB play the last three seasons. There are several midround draft picks on that line, but I don't see a first rounder right now.

I seem to recall a skinny LT named Gallery that didn't look amazing his first season or two. But, then he added 40 pounds and started blocking for Freddy and Banks and he looked pretty damn amazing. OL takes time. These boys have had that. Its time to perform now.
Good stuff, North.

This is exactly right. The injuries were not appreciably more than all programs have to deal with and he had more than enough time and bodies to demonstrate that he is an effective coach and failed miserably. He's extremely lucky that KF is loyal to a fault.

There was a lot of blame to go around for the pathetic offense the last three seasons, and OL coaching is certainly in that mix. But, I don't think you really need to go much past BF. His inability to recruit and develop the most important position on the field was what damned the offense. Lord knows he was not a creative enough playcaller to make up for the fact that whatever QB he stuck back there was either playing on one leg or should be playing right tackle for a Division II school. No offense can be successful with atrocious QB play and a 6-play playbook. GB's group damn well better perform this year. They are all out of excuses.
Recruiting is never an exact science, but I see that as giving Barnett a pass. Our recruiting at the offensive line position (at least on paper) actually was quite good from '17 - '22 or so. The majority were 4-star or high 3-star rated coming out of H.S.