O Line

This is exactly right. The injuries were not appreciably more than all programs have to deal with and he had more than enough time and bodies to demonstrate that he is an effective coach and failed miserably. He's extremely lucky that KF is loyal to a fault.

Recruiting is never an exact science, but I see that as giving Barnett a pass. Our recruiting at the offensive line position (at least on paper) actually was quite good from '17 - '22 or so. The majority were 4-star or high 3-star rated coming out of H.S.
To be clear, my critique of BF's inability to recruit and develop the most important position on the field was a reference to QB. In fairness, Petras was a pretty highly rated recruit, so his is more development. McNamara is also highly rated. But Hill obviously was not and that is who he played. I agree recruiting is not a science, but BF's terrible eye for QB talent is outdone only by his inability to develop players at the QB position.

I am not as down as most on the OL. They are mostly 3 and 4 star kids, which is what KF gets. I also believe that the current group was asked to play too early in their careers due to injuries and recruiting misses in the classes before them. That said, I have seen growth. But again, the greatest OL in the world isn't going to be effective with a 9-man box in front of them and the bastard child of Jake Christensen and the Statue of Liberty behind them......

Barring injuries, I look at this year’s o-line as serviceable. If everyone stays healthy…does the o-line go beyond serviceable?

Wasn't there something also that Lester and KF put their heads together and changed some of the blocking schemes or potentially getting away from the zone blocking? Not sure, but thought I read that somewhere that KF was giving in some and open to some change.

Last edited:
Wasn't there something also that Foster and KF put their heads together and changed some of the blocking schemes or potentially getting away from the zone blocking? Not sure, but thought I read that somewhere that KF was giving in some and open to some change.
Who's Foster?

Yes, prob more straight blocking with Lester's scheme I would think.

Wasn't there something also that Foster and KF put their heads together and changed some of the blocking schemes or potentially getting away from the zone blocking? Not sure, but thought I read that somewhere that KF was giving in some and open to some change.

The pretty much abandoned the outsize zone last season because they recongnized that they didn't have the players to execute it as in the past.

Barring injuries, I look at this year’s o-line as serviceable. If everyone stays healthy…does the o-line go beyond serviceable?
I feel like this OL has the potential to be very good, but it will only go beyond serviceable if the QB play is good as well. Part of the stinkery the last few years is that we did not have good enough QB play to extend drives. Accurate passing, scrambles, making plays. Our QBs did none of that, so we rarely had sustained drives. If Cade is healthy and can make plays, that will lead to longer drives and the OL getting into a rythym.

I feel like this OL has the potential to be very good, but it will only go beyond serviceable if the QB play is good as well. Part of the stinkery the last few years is that we did not have good enough QB play to extend drives. Accurate passing, scrambles, making plays. Our QBs did none of that, so we rarely had sustained drives. If Cade is healthy and can make plays, that will lead to longer drives and the OL getting into a rythym.
When the O line sees their work go unrewarded play after play with balls thrown in the dirt, over the head, dropped passes it has an effect for sure.

When the O line sees their work go unrewarded play after play with balls thrown in the dirt, over the head, dropped passes it has an effect for sure.
Great point. I also think guys start to press thinking they have to do more than they are supposed to and then they screw up. Football success has a lot to do with confidence, and if you lose confidence in your QB and playcaller, its hard to have success.

Dunker
Stephens
Elsbury

It seems like there is a lot of upside with those 3.

Colby
Jones
Richman
Dejong

Those 4, it feels like we already know what we are getting.

You look at those 7 linemen and it screams serviceable. Btw, I am not complaining, because it gets you to 10-2.

Bottom line, if we have a Trent Dilfer kinda QB, we goin places. I think the Oline is ready to bust out. Just need a little cooperation from the passing game. Just give em a little. The talent experience and depth is in place and estimating a decent sized chip on some thick shoulders……..

Everyone & their dog knows that Iowa can’t pass the ball. Doesn’t commit to it, doesn’t want to & will never throw downfield or in the middle of the field to any degree unless absolutely forced to. The aversion Ferentz has & has had with it are well documented. It’s weird actually. So the entire football world figured out long ago that they were going to take away iowa’s dna…the running game. What does Ferentz do? Like anyone in denial, he doubles & triples down by trying to run more & harder despite being completely outnumbered in the box.

And every opposing coach knows it because Kirk hasn’t ever changed. This year, we are bringing in the shades & mirrors act in tim lester. He’ll use motion to try & confuse the defense, but at the end of the day, you still have to win in the box & without at least a fair fight, we aren’t winning that enough.

The answer isn’t motion. It’s personnel (which Ferentz will never have that advantage again) or being balanced enough in the passing game to level out the box. That’s the key moving forward with ferentz. Based on his track record, I have little confidence in this area

Bottom line, if we have a Trent Dilfer kinda QB, we goin places. I think the Oline is ready to bust out. Just need a little cooperation from the passing game. Just give em a little. The talent experience and depth is in place and estimating a decent sized chip on some thick shoulders……..
I would hope so but weve been saying and hoping for that 3 seasons now.

Dunker
Stephens
Elsbury

Colby
Jones
Richman
Dejong

You look at those 7 linemen and it screams serviceable. Btw, I am not complaining, because it gets you to 10-2.
In the West it gets us to 10-2. In the new B1G, not sure that will get us to 10-2. I hope it does though.

Dunker
Stephens
Elsbury

Colby
Jones
Richman
Dejong

So left to right what's it going to look like?

Richman, Stephens, Jones, Colby, Dunker?

I've seen Elsbury over Stephens mentioned by some but is that the only 'battle' for a spot going on? Only reason I favor Stephens a little is cause he's the biggest dude we have and I'd like to think he might be the best run blocker we have. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I'm going with for now.

In the West it gets us to 10-2. In the new B1G, not sure that will get us to 10-2. I hope it does though.
The schedule is very manageable. Its not far off from the normal West schedule.

On paper right now, we are either the favorite or a push in every game except OSU. We absolutely can win every game on the schedule except OSU.

Key takeaway is iowa's OL is extremely experienced this year. I anticipate 4+ypc average for the rb and if this happens the stars are aligned to be a special season.
I hope you are proven right. However, except for the center, I am having trouble getting excited about a returning O line that has not been very good.

I hope you are proven right. However, except for the center, I am having trouble getting excited about a returning O line that has not been very good.
Jones has had his troubles too. Could not get a snap off two years ago and there was talk about him losing the position last year when he was injured.

They have all struggled at times, but hopefully a little bit of playmaking from the QB position coupled with a competent playcaller and QB coach will be enough for these big boys to shine.

Due to a number of factors, I have no doubt the offensive line will be better, even perhaps good. There's really no excuses this season except for adaptation to a new OC (which is legitimate).

That said, they would have to be 2002-esque to convince me that Barnett is even an average coach. I maintain that Kirk probably came to the conclusion that he was a poor hire, but elected not to jettison him due to: 1. He prides himself on being patient and loyal, and, 2., He has trouble accepting/admitting that he made a poor choice.