O-Line Update

Leistikow posted an update. Sounds like Colby is moving out to RT with the current lineup being LT Richman, LG Elsbury, C Jones, RG Dunker, RT Colby. A lot of new faces but the article is optimistic of course.
“Of course“ is an understatement. Read the article, Hawk fans. This prediction could be very big. Much comes from Barnet, O line coach.

Boy, you know what is really strange and heard on the ratio the other night. All of Iowa's projected starters at OL are sophomores. I think Dunker is a RS Fr though. But damn, Iowa better make a run the next 3 years as there is not a mixture of upperclassman at this time. Iowa may have the best line ever by the time they are all seniors.

Boy, you know what is really strange and heard on the ratio the other night. All of Iowa's projected starters at OL are sophomores. I think Dunker is a RS Fr though. But damn, Iowa better make a run the next 3 years as there is not a mixture of upperclassman at this time. Iowa may have the best line ever by the time they are all seniors.
There's also a very good class coming in next year. That class should be able to get more seasoning before they're thrown into the fray.

The average size of those FR/SOs is 6’5” 305 lbs.

Last year we only had one guy on the entire OL over 300 and he was 302. Kyler Schott wasn’t even 6’ tall.

This year’s OL is an upgrade in every way other than Linderbaum

Agree with Fry about this line being an upgrade. And, it looks like all of them are sitting well above their listed weight at the beginning of camp. Beyond Jones, the other 4 guys are now all north of 310.

Center: I don’t think there will be as much drop off from Lindy as people think. That is a hot take and maybe disrespecting the best center in program history a bit. But, Lindy had a lot on his shoulders and was playing with less talent around him. He was amazing. But, Jones looks the part. He is a freak in the weight room and I bet he is closer to 290 by the start of the season. All these guys have packed on weight. 290 is plenty big enough for center. He may not get all the calls and blocks down as well as TL, of course, but I think he will be really good and get better as the season progresses. Could we really hit lightening in a bottle twice in row?????

With Colby kicking out to RT (thank god), we have two legit tackles at 6-6 315 ish who can block, have talent, and good starting experience. Tackle was a weakness last year. It will be a strength this year. I had assumed that Proctor would come in next season and plug and play at one tackle position. He may have to have an Eppy type role his freshmen year. Or start out at guard. That would say something.

If they stay with Els and Dunk at the guards, again you got two more guys north of 310. Those are big, tall and talented guards, but yes they are young and need reps. That is a big group to run behind with two thumpers at RB. The running game is going to be better this year, which means the passing game will be better.

What's also interesting is that there's a large 5 star kid from Altoona entering the mix next yr. Might he RS? Or is he plug and play at LT or guard? Granted this yr hasn't happened yet. If these guys still struggle that might be an easier decision. But if Richman is good it makes things interesting as far as what's next

Agree with Fry about this line being an upgrade. And, it looks like all of them are sitting well above their listed weight at the beginning of camp. Beyond Jones, the other 4 guys are now all north of 310.

Center: I don’t think there will be as much drop off from Lindy as people think. That is a hot take and maybe disrespecting the best center in program history a bit. But, Lindy had a lot on his shoulders and was playing with less talent around him. He was amazing. But, Jones looks the part. He is a freak in the weight room and I bet he is closer to 290 by the start of the season. All these guys have packed on weight. 290 is plenty big enough for center. He may not get all the calls and blocks down as well as TL, of course, but I think he will be really good and get better as the season progresses. Could we really hit lightening in a bottle twice in row?????

With Colby kicking out to RT (thank god), we have two legit tackles at 6-6 315 ish who can block, have talent, and good starting experience. Tackle was a weakness last year. It will be a strength this year. I had assumed that Proctor would come in next season and plug and play at one tackle position. He may have to have an Eppy type role his freshmen year. Or start out at guard. That would say something.

If they stay with Els and Dunk at the guards, again you got two more guys north of 310. Those are big, tall and talented guards, but yes they are young and need reps. That is a big group to run behind with two thumpers at RB. The running game is going to be better this year, which means the passing game will be better.
I still think Proctor will come in next year and probably start at RT, which will allow Colby to move back to the G spot where I think he's a better fit. But yeah, 2 years from now, that line could be elite. Add in a QB by then who has some mobility, and who knows...

The average size of those FR/SOs is 6’5” 305 lbs.

Last year we only had one guy on the entire OL over 300 and he was 302. Kyler Schott wasn’t even 6’ tall.

This year’s OL is an upgrade in every way other than Linderbaum
Great points. Last year's O line wasn't up to the size and strength standards required in the B1G. This year, it appears to be a different story. Hopefully this helps the running game, and gives ol' Spence another second to throw.

DEs destroyed our Tackles last year. (See Purdue and Michigan games).

Great points. Last year's O line wasn't up to the size and strength standards required in the B1G. This year, it appears to be a different story. Hopefully this helps the running game, and gives ol' Spence another second to throw.

DEs destroyed our Tackles last year. (See Purdue and Michigan games).
Yep. Karlaftis and Hutchinson could get up field and blow up plays anytime they wanted.

Given the rule changes in cut blocking I wonder if they have tweaked their philosophy in terms of less emphasis on mobility and more emphasis on power, man to man blocking. Instead of cutting a guy, you reach a guy and drive him back.

Yep. Was on preseason 2 deeps, but has been banged up most of camp.
I thought I read it was medical, which may be a bit different than injury. Anyway, he was in street clothes for the scrimmage. Let's hope he gets back. We need depth.

I still think Proctor will come in next year and probably start at RT, which will allow Colby to move back to the G spot where I think he's a better fit. But yeah, 2 years from now, that line could be elite. Add in a QB by then who has some mobility, and who knows...
Boy, from what I am reading and hearing, Colby is a natural tackle and has a good chance at the next level. He played guard last year out of necessity. But, he has the size and feet to be a tackle. If things go to chalk this season, I suspect either Proctor or Colby will have to move inside next year, but I would not count on displacing a really good upper classman. Nice problem to have!!!!!!

Boy, from what I am reading and hearing, Colby is a natural tackle and has a good chance at the next level. He played guard last year out of necessity. But, he has the size and feet to be a tackle. If things go to chalk this season, I suspect either Proctor or Colby will have to move inside next year, but I would not count on displacing a really good upper classman. Nice problem to have!!!!!!
It's really nice to be looking at some longer term quality and depth at O-Line. It's been a while since we've had this kind of optimism. Hope I'm not jinxing them but it seems like they have a shot to become one of the better lines under KF. Not necessarily this year but hopefully in the next couple.

They were 2 of the best Ends in all of football last year they did that to every OL they went up against. Kinda bad comparison.

Goodson led the country in runningbacks tackled behind the LOS with 47. Is that a sexier answer for you?