Nunge

He should be playing. It is just plain ridiculous that he gets pulled after any and every mistake. No wonder he’s playing tentatively

He should be playing. It is just plain ridiculous that he gets pulled after any and every mistake. No wonder he’s playing tentatively

Fran has done that with Ellingson, Kriener, Garza, Nunge, Wagner and Pemsl, this season. All of those guys who have had stretches of poor play. Garza has regained his starters role. I do not think its a bad thing to earn your minutes on the hoops floor. Nunge is seeing a lot of minutes as a FR. There are still 12 B1G games left. Do you not think it's possible Nunge starts getting more minutes again?

Kreiner after the last couple of games deserves to play over Pemsl. Pemsl needs to watch for a while. I have no doubt a couple of three's and a dunk and Nunge will be back. It's being a freshman. People that had written off Garza are now singing his praises again. Now if the team can play better at home and win some games maybe the home court advantage will mean something again.

Fran's schizophrenic substitution patters...his in game time out usage...his in game manic outbursts...and his design of playing without a defensive plan is unsettling for many players..rightly so...especially freshmen.

A player can't settle into a battle rhythm...chaos and panic prevail...

Poor coaching and leadership lead to dog shit seasons...

It’ so weird with Fran because some guys get pulled for commiting a turnover or making a defensive mistake. See Nunge, see Moss last year.

But literally every guy on our team is commiting turnovers and playing terrible defense. It’s the strangest thing to me.

IMO Fran has lost this team to a degree, because of this!

Does anyone know what is going on with his role? Did he already tell Fran he was transferring? Sick? Hurt? How does he go from starter to playing a handful of minutes?

Nunge should have a big impact on this team in a few years. It would be nice to know what happened.
I'm glad he's sitting, need to shorten rotation let others find rythem, Garza.
Too many guys playing same position for all the guys to play. Would have liked to have seen him redshirt.
I can't stand the play 3 minutes and go back to bench. It's horrible for any player. So sitting him actually helps the other guys get more minutes and potentially play better.

Fran's schizophrenic substitution patters...his in game time out usage...his in game manic outbursts...and his design of playing without a defensive plan is unsettling for many players..rightly so...especially freshmen.

its called the motion offense. robbie hummel did one of the earlier iowa games and he said it was the perfect offense to run because you can't scout it because there are no set rules. what schizophrenic substitution patterns are you referring to? Fran plays upwards of 11 guys at a given time. he can substitute to match up with opponents substitutions, he can substitute to create mismatches for us, he can substitute for poor play, he can substitute to reward good play. an example of that is vs Illianoy where Pemls played horrible defense and kept fouling; enter Kriener who played well.

Fran's motion commotion confuses him...

Perfect offense...? Matched with a renewed defensive effort?

Should still make the Big Dance

I wish Nunge would have redshirted. Redshirting him would have simplified the rotation. He's just not ready for B1G. Throwing him out there to guard guys like Bates-Diop is silly. Wagner and even Uhl are better options at this point merely because they can defend these athletic wings.

I wish Nunge would have redshirted. Redshirting him would have simplified the rotation. He's just not ready for B1G. Throwing him out there to guard guys like Bates-Diop is silly. Wagner and even Uhl are better options at this point merely because they can defend these athletic wings.

both wagner and uhl are liabilities on offense, so whenever they are on the floor, the defense practically doesn't even guard them. At least with Nunge, he can score. I think Nunge just needs some time to watch; same thing that helped Garza. we shall see, but at face value, i don't agree wagner and uhl are more valuable players than Nunge. And Pemsl needs to be careful, also. if he doesn't develop that 15ft jumper, kriener will take his minutes.

Well Bates-Diop is arguably the best player in the conference right now so not many can guard him.

Iowa plays a lot of zone and Nunge was pretty good in the zone I thought. Plus he spaced our offense when he played the 4. I thought he was playing pretty well, then all the sudden Fran moved him back to 3 and stopped playing him. It was strange.

wow. I am amazed that you have become so negative recently...oh, wait, never mind.

both wagner and uhl are liabilities on offense, so whenever they are on the floor, the defense practically doesn't even guard them. At least with Nunge, he can score. I think Nunge just needs some time to watch; same thing that helped Garza. we shall see, but at face value, i don't agree wagner and uhl are more valuable players than Nunge. And Pemsl needs to be careful, also. if he doesn't develop that 15ft jumper, kriener will take his minutes.
At what point do you sacrifice some shooting/size, an area we are not lacking in, for more defense, our main deficiency?

At what point do you sacrifice some shooting/size, an area we are not lacking in, for more defense, our main deficiency?

between wagner and uhl, which is a better defender and scorer than Nunge? Keep in mind that Nunge does have shot blocking ability that he has displayed and he is a good rebounder and, he is 7'0" tall. to answer your question, if Nunge can't block shots or rebound, any longer, would i be ready to move him to the deep bench.

I agree completely with you that our main liability is defense. but, in my opinion, that is at the guard position. we're too slow and teams have been able drive the lane almost at will on us. That, also in my opinion, doesn't include Nunge, unless Fran has him at the 3 and he's guarding a quicker 3.

between wagner and uhl, which is a better defender and scorer than Nunge? Keep in mind that Nunge does have shot blocking ability that he has displayed and he is a good rebounder and, he is 7'0" tall. to answer your question, if Nunge can't block shots or rebound, any longer, would i be ready to move him to the deep bench.

I agree completely with you that our main liability is defense. but, in my opinion, that is at the guard position. we're too slow and teams have been able drive the lane almost at will on us. That, also in my opinion, doesn't include Nunge, unless Fran has him at the 3 and he's guarding a quicker 3.
What site lists him at 7’0? ESPN lists him at 6’11 which is two inches taller than rivals lists him. I’m not buying he has grown 2 inches that fast this late in his life. What about the paint defenders once they get past the guards ? We have no rim protection .

Seems there was a defensive plan last night and it worked well.

What site lists him at 7’0? ESPN lists him at 6’11 which is two inches taller than rivals lists him. I’m not buying he has grown 2 inches that fast this late in his life. What about the paint defenders once they get past the guards ? We have no rim protection .

He's 6'11" with a 7'1" wingspan. According to the University of Iowa. Is that acceptable rooney?

You know, when a team is playing a zone and the offensive player gets past the guards into the lane, the the bigs have to make a choice to come to stop the ball or not. If they do, then the ball get's passed to a teammate in the area the big left. if not, its a layup. So, shot blocking may or may not be relevant. Having said that; we do have some good (not great) but good shot blockers: Cook, Garza, Kriner (7'3" wingspan per U of I, if that's okay) Nunge and Baer.

Latest posts