Nunge

MiniMoeHawk

Does anyone know what is going on with his role? Did he already tell Fran he was transferring? Sick? Hurt? How does he go from starter to playing a handful of minutes?

Nunge should have a big impact on this team in a few years. It would be nice to know what happened.

Does anyone know what is going on with his role? Did he already tell Fran he was transferring? Sick? Hurt? How does he go from starter to playing a handful of minutes?

Nunge should have a big impact on this team in a few years. It would be nice to know what happened.
He's playing tentative out there from what I can see. When asked to play the 3 he's not fast/quick enough yet. He's a 4 man as of now. And there's a bit of a log jam at that spot for time. He's not going to get mins over Cook/Pemsl/or even Kreiner really now. It's not fair to have him out there guarding 6'6 or 6'7 guys that are so much faster and more athletic then him.
I also think it's not fair to be asking Ellingson to be a backup pg when he's just not good at it. I'd rather have Tyler Cook handling the ball then him in the open court.

The easiest answer is: He's a freshman. Not many of them play consistent enough to be counted on. If you are looking into it any further then that you likely don't remember such great Freshman hits as Jarrod Uthoff or Eric May...and who can forget how Peter Jok set the world on fire his Freshman season. Garza went through the same exact thing a month ago.

He's playing tentative out there from what I can see. When asked to play the 3 he's not fast/quick enough yet. He's a 4 man as of now. And there's a bit of a log jam at that spot for time. He's not going to get mins over Cook/Pemsl/or even Kreiner really now. It's not fair to have him out there guarding 6'6 or 6'7 guys that are so much faster and more athletic then him.
I also think it's not fair to be asking Ellingson to be a backup pg when he's just not good at it. I'd rather have Tyler Cook handling the ball then him in the open court.
What is Pemsl bringing to the game that deserves minutes? All he is doing is turning it over and missing bunnies. He even airballs two foot shots. Nunge would fit nicely in the 1-3-1 zone and can make shots.

Last edited:
What is Pemsl bringing to the game that deserves minutes? All he is doing is turning it over and missing bunnies. He even airballs two foot shots. Nunge would fit nicely in the 1-3-1 zone and can make shots.
Hey no argument from me on that. Pemsl stunk up the joint last night. It seems like Fran wants Nunge to play more 3 than 4. He's just not suited to do that at least not now. Nunge has scoring ability. I'd love for him to get his mojo going and play a little more. I want to see him post up which I can't remember seeing him even do.

It’ so weird with Fran because some guys get pulled for commiting a turnover or making a defensive mistake. See Nunge, see Moss last year.

But literally every guy on our team is commiting turnovers and playing terrible defense. It’s the strangest thing to me.

Nothing. Give Kriener his minutes and go with it. I’m also sick of watching Pemsl whine about everything

From what I’ve seen Nunge is a better option that both Kriener and Pemsl. He’s longer and can mover his feet better than both those guys.

Not to mention we are giving big minutes to Garza and Cook already who both like to spend their time on the block. It makes a lot more sense to me to play Nunge at the 4 because he is comfortable on the perimeter and allows those two space to operate whereas Pemsl and Kriener often just create spacing issues.

With the season in essence over it makes no sense not to be giving Nunge big minutes. He’s going to have to be a big part of our success going forward if we have it.

In regards to Ellingson, if he is not taking and making 3s there is zero reason for him to play. I didn’t get to watch last night but I don’t imagine he spent much time at PG. He played 12 minutes and I just look at that as 12 possible minutes that could have gone to Dailey, who only played 17.

It’ so weird with Fran because some guys get pulled for commiting a turnover or making a defensive mistake. See Nunge, see Moss last year.

But literally every guy on our team is commiting turnovers and playing terrible defense. It’s the strangest thing to me.
True but you can't literally bench everyone...haha. What we don't know is what's being emphasized in practice and whatnot that maybe is being totally done wrong buy some that irks him. Who knows. But like Moss he doesn't have a backup that's all that good. Same with JBo. So good bad or indifferent they gotta play a lot. Nunge and the 4 spot Iowa just has more options....

From what I’ve seen Nunge is a better option that both Kriener and Pemsl. He’s longer and can mover his feet better than both those guys.

Not to mention we are giving big minutes to Garza and Cook already who both like to spend their time on the block. It makes a lot more sense to me to play Nunge at the 4 because he is comfortable on the perimeter and allows those two space to operate whereas Pemsl and Kriener often just create spacing issues.

With the season in essence over it makes no sense not to be giving Nunge big minutes. He’s going to have to be a big part of our success going forward if we have it.

In regards to Ellingson, if he is not taking and making 3s there is zero reason for him to play. I didn’t get to watch last night but I don’t imagine he spent much time at PG. He played 12 minutes and I just look at that as 12 possible minutes that could have gone to Dailey, who only played 17.

Kriener played better D and rebounded better in the 2nd half last night then Nunge has all season. The problem is none of our bigs besides Cook have had any sort of consistency all year. You never know who's going to be that guy on a given night and that's pretty hard to plan a rotation on that basis.

I get what your saying. But if the guys confidence is in the toilet having him out there playing with his head down thinking too much isn't good... I'd love to see more of him instead of Pemsl. Pemsl has no skills and can't even finish around the basket like he did last yr. He's literally only good for a handful of fouls. A few rebounds and screening. All things a confident Nunge should be able to do as well and then some.

I think Pemsl needs to put his 30lbs back on so he can move guys around in the block. He just isn't the same player he was last year.

Kriener played better D and rebounded better in the 2nd half last night then Nunge has all season. The problem is none of our bigs besides Cook have had any sort of consistency all year. You never know who's going to be that guy on a given night and that's pretty hard to plan a rotation on that basis.
I do not feel that Nunge has even been given a chance to show consistency in recent games.

But again this season is over and this is about building for the future. Even if Kriener were a better option to win games right now (which is debatable), I still think you play Nunge as much as possible. The kid has all-conference type potential, and to me Kriener is a role player at best.

I do not feel that Nunge has even been given a chance to show consistency in recent games.

But again this season is over and this is about building for the future. Even if Kriener were a better option to win games right now (which is debatable), I still think you play Nunge as much as possible. The kid has all-conference type potential, and to me Kriener is a role player at best.

Easy for you to say, Iowa is 1-5 right now and people are calling for Fran's head. He needs to win. Nunge isn't ready. You get absolutely no disagreement that Nunge is a far superior player to Kriener with way more upside...but last night, he wasn't the better option.

He was sick a game or two ago and saw his minutes reduce because of it. I'm not sure if he is still weak from it? He'll probably see more playing time as Fran continues to search for consistency

If Kreiner is hitting that 15-17 foot shot...he opens the lane for others. That's huge. With Garza, Kreiner and Cook on the floor, Cook has alot more room to operate taking the ball the hoop when the other two have to be guarded at 17 feet away from the basket.

transfer? garza went from starter to playing a handful of minutes and now he's a starter again. Nunge was playing well and then he started playing poorly. fran is giving him some time to sit and watch and catch his second wind.

It's pretty simple. The adjustment to the B1G from HS can be daunting, especially for big guys. Nunge has all-conference ability and potential, but he has to learn what it takes at this level. His confidence is down, and you can see it in his facial expressions and body language, which could be dangerous depending upon his mindset going forward. It's on the coaches to get him over the hump, but I'm convinced that if he sticks with it and works hard, he will be a star for this team. Off-season workouts will be hugely important for him, as well as Garza.

As for Kreiner, I've been posting for some time that IMO he is an under-appreciated player and deserves more minutes. The only advantage Pemsl has on him is more refined low-post moves, but Kreiner has more length, is a better rebounder and has a surprisingly good mid-range shot. His biggest liability is he struggles with defensive positioning and rotations, but those are things that come with time. I really like his hustle and competitiveness.

Latest posts