Now that the thrill has worn off...

Nah, I didn't see any definition of "bunny" in the dictionary in that context, if that's what you're talking about. Just the little cuddly, furry animal was all it had.
Probably said, “also, see DDThompson” ?

This is no knock on Tyler in the least, he is an amazing athlete and he draws double teams, draws fouls and is a pretty good foul shooter. However, I think we can get in to the mode of chasing fouls by pounding it in to Tyler, and Luka as well, and then it really stagnates our offense because everyone gets to standing around. Tyler is an incredible weapon, but when he has to make a post move 15 feet from the basket I am guessing his conversion percentage (score or foul + foul shot make) is less than the percentages of an outside open look to Jbo, Wiesy or Moss, and definitely so when you factor in the 3 points vs. 2.

I would like to see Tyler take higher percentage shots is all. But its not just him. It has seemed like lately that the wrong people are taking the right shots. If we want to open up the defense, I would like to see less of Luka, Kriener and Baer shooting threes, and more of Jbo, Wiesy and Moss. And then they can play inside/out, and we are truly unguardable.

You must be watching the ball when Tyler, Ryan and Luka get it in the post. Yes, they are making their moves, but I see the players on the outside rotating to the open spot. I'd guess about 8 out of 10 times when our three post players get a nice move and score inside, if you watch you'll see that there is at least one outside shooter available beyond the three point line who can get a good look. There is ALWAYS someone open beyond the three point line, but there isn't a good passing lane to them about 2 out of 10 times.

I have never met him, I can't dislike him.

I am simply saying less of him and more of the shooters. He is not a shooter or a gifted scorer unless he gets tons of touches and chances.

Cook was 5-13 from the field for 38% He was 9-13 from the FT line for 69% Plus two not even close misses of front ends of 1 and 1. He has zero assists. Under what definition is that an unstoppable post player?

When the "unstoppable post player" stopped getting the touches, Iowa had a miraculous comeback.

You like him, I got it, but the numbers don't support your "unstoppable" perception of him.

When they went away from him, Iowa started cooking.

I actually do like what he brings, just not so much of him.

You do realize that saying he was 5-13 from the field is a bit misleading. On 5 of his misses he was fouled and shot free throws (and contributed to the foul problems of Northwestern's frontcourt). You do get counted with a missed field goal attempt when you are fouled and miss the shot, you know. And 9-13 from the line is about his season average.

And the comeback that you so glibly try to write off his efforts... he had two made freethrows and four rebounds. (And don't think we don't notice that you didn't say anything about his 11 rebounds which led both teams)

You do realize that saying he was 5-13 from the field is a bit misleading. On 5 of his misses he was fouled and shot free throws (and contributed to the foul problems of Northwestern's frontcourt). You do get counted with a missed field goal attempt when you are fouled and miss the shot, you know. And 9-13 from the line is about his season average.

And the comeback that you so glibly try to write off his efforts... he had two made freethrows and four rebounds. (And don't think we don't notice that you didn't say anything about his 11 rebounds which led both teams)
I think you are incorrect, if you are fouled, it is not a FG attempt statistically.

9-13 wasn't the biggest issue, he clanked the front end of two one and ones, under pressure, leaving 4 points off the board, potentially. His FT stroke is better, but under pressure, it seems to revert to what it was.

You do realize that saying he was 5-13 from the field is a bit misleading. On 5 of his misses he was fouled and shot free throws (and contributed to the foul problems of Northwestern's frontcourt). You do get counted with a missed field goal attempt when you are fouled and miss the shot, you know.
no, I don’t think so. But everything else was spot on.

On the final play, I don't see where anyone thinks that NW doubled Tyler. They were man to man and Jbo set a screen for Tyler, Tyler's man fought over the top of the screen which made Jbo's defender hesitate and allow the space for Jbo to get the shot off. Why the guy from NW was guarding Tyler out at the 3 point line with 3 seconds left is the mistake because he never should have been caught on top of the screener there.

You don't think Gaines (who was guarding Bohannon on that play) hung back on purpose to stop the lob to Cook? He hung back until Pardon could recover from the screen so that the lob was no longer an option. That's called double teaming. Two guys trying to prevent the actions of one player. It's not always two guys simply guarding one guy.

It is counted as a "shot" if it is blocked.

He had zero offensive rebounds.

Get back to me when you understand what counts as a shot and what doesn't. You need some remedial research training before spouting off.

It is counted as a "shot" if it is blocked.

He had zero offensive rebounds.

Then I guess ESPN has its stats wrong. They have him credited with 2 offensive and 9 defensive rebounds for the game. In the final run, Iowa as a team had there were no offensive rebounds to be gathered. There was only one missed shot and there was a foul where a team offensive rebound was credited and in that exchange Cook was fouled (and made 1 of 2 free throws).

Get back to me when you understand what counts as a shot and what doesn't. You need some remedial research training before spouting off.

Rules have changed since I last played and coached. It was 30 years ago. I stand corrected as far as a shot attempt being counted when missed while in the act of shooting. When I played (and coached) they counted. The reasoning was that how can a player be fouled in the act of shooting if he wasn't attempting a shot?

Rules have changed since I last played and coached. It was 30 years ago. I stand corrected as far as a shot attempt being counted when missed while in the act of shooting. When I played (and coached) they counted. The reasoning was that how can a player be fouled in the act of shooting if he wasn't attempting a shot?
It is a shot attempt if the player makes a shot in the act of getting fouled. It is not counted as a shot if he is fouled and he misses the shot. FTs have nothing to do with that stat.

A block is counted as a missed shot.

It has been this way a long time.

Then I guess ESPN has its stats wrong. They have him credited with 2 offensive and 9 defensive rebounds for the game. In the final run, Iowa as a team had there were no offensive rebounds to be gathered. There was only one missed shot and there was a foul where a team offensive rebound was credited and in that exchange Cook was fouled (and made 1 of 2 free throws).
Cook had a lot of rebounds and Iowa won a squeaker, not much else matters.

You don't think Gaines (who was guarding Bohannon on that play) hung back on purpose to stop the lob to Cook? He hung back until Pardon could recover from the screen so that the lob was no longer an option. That's called double teaming. Two guys trying to prevent the actions of one player. It's not always two guys simply guarding one guy.

Gaines was helping Pardon because Pardon went on top of thrle screener, which was a mistake. Gaines of course had to stay back to prevent the lob, but that wasnt a double team, it was help defense. Pardon should hacmve went under the Jbo screen, allowing Gaines to guard Jbo tight and invite a pass to Cook behind the 3 point line with 3 seconds left. Given a choice of A. Jbo open look from 3 to win, or B. Lob to open Cook against a guard for a dunk to tie, or C. Cook 3 pointer to win of i was NW i would have taken C. What you saw was poor man to man defense, not a double team.

You must be watching the ball when Tyler, Ryan and Luka get it in the post. Yes, they are making their moves, but I see the players on the outside rotating to the open spot. I'd guess about 8 out of 10 times when our three post players get a nice move and score inside, if you watch you'll see that there is at least one outside shooter available beyond the three point line who can get a good look. There is ALWAYS someone open beyond the three point line, but there isn't a good passing lane to them about 2 out of 10 times.

Regardless of who our post players or wings are, out offense along with most others in basketball operate more efficiently when the ball is moving. I wasnt saying anything bad about Tyler, just saying i would like to see the ball move around more rather than stick with one player in a form of iso ball.

Cook had a bad game. It happens to players all the time. I agree with rev in the sense that we continued to feed a guy who didn't have it that night.

Scoring points doesn't help a team win. Scoring points efficiently does. Cook was not very efficient that game even if the stats say he was. Not counting a shot a miss if you're fouled is a double edged sword. If you miss your free throws, you cost your team a possession without adding a missed shot to your stats. It's a flaw in the way the stat is figured. So saying he scored 19 points on 13 shots is extremely misleading. He shot three 1 and 1s and scored 1 point. That's 1 point in 3 possessions and the stats showed that he scored that point efficiently. He had a rough game shooting but we won anyway. Hopefully he shoots better Saturday.

Cook makes us better. We just have to avoid losing the team concept to feed him at a crazy pace.

And Fran is really good with out of bounds plays. Someone was getting a good luck. Thank you clock review.

And I love the when JB takes it out then Connor steps out to take a pass and inbound to JB...ultimately putting JB on the line. Every team should use that pkay IMO.

Latest posts