Now that the thrill has worn off...

On Bohannon's game-winning shot, who did Northwestern double-team?

I'll give you a hint. It was Tyler Cook.

You don't like the kid. I get it. You qualify your statements by saying he's a good athlete and Iowa needs that but I don't think you really understand the value of an unstoppable post player.

And don't give me the "he just needs to stay on the low-block and shoot two-footers or get garbage points." It's a silly premise when the guy gets the guy draws double teams if he's within 15 feet of the hoop.
We keep winning games with three point shooting barrages like this and they won't be double teaming Cook much longer. And he has shown enough vision to find shooters on the perimeter

Now that the shine has worn off a bit, it might also be added that Northwestern has some talent, and has been somewhat of an underachiever this year. They pretty much schooled a top 20 team, on the road, for 37 minutes. This team was no pushover as the players and others might have assumed. Thus, it is a good win, although a squeaky win.

Law hasn't been fully healthy until last night. It showed. Dude is solid.

That last shot D still has me pissed off. You shut that down. Dude was wide the fk open.

Last play of the game. There's a photo of the inbound pass going over Kriener. It looks as though he touched it. Game would have been over before Pardon even caught the pass if that is correct.

Watch the defense on Joe on Iowa's last possession? The defender was literally hugging Joe, right in front of the ref. Didn't matter in the end but it's concerning when Garza is called on touch fouls & the opposing team can bear hug the home team on a play that can determine the outcome of the game.

Last play of the game. There's a photo of the inbound pass going over Kriener. It looks as though he touched it. Game would have been over before Pardon even caught the pass if that is correct.

Watch the defense on Joe on Iowa's last possession? The defender was literally hugging Joe, right in front of the ref. Didn't matter in the end but it's concerning when Garza is called on touch fouls & the opposing team can bear hug the home team on a play that can determine the outcome of the game.
Kriener came very close to FOULING him. I held my breath.

In the end I'm obviously glad the ref didn't send Wiescamp to the line. He would have needed two just to tie.

Kriener came very close to FOULING him. I held my breath.

In the end I'm obviously glad the ref didn't send Wiescamp to the line. He would have needed two just to tie.

Given the state of the game, every iowa fan in the country would have taken JW at the line shooting 2. Not really the point though. How is that allowed with 3 refs on the court.

Given the state of the game, every iowa fan in the country would have taken JW at the line shooting 2. Not really the point though. How is that allowed with 3 refs on the court.
Good question. Maybe that situation will come up again. Another story for another night.

This is no knock on Tyler in the least, he is an amazing athlete and he draws double teams, draws fouls and is a pretty good foul shooter. However, I think we can get in to the mode of chasing fouls by pounding it in to Tyler, and Luka as well, and then it really stagnates our offense because everyone gets to standing around. Tyler is an incredible weapon, but when he has to make a post move 15 feet from the basket I am guessing his conversion percentage (score or foul + foul shot make) is less than the percentages of an outside open look to Jbo, Wiesy or Moss, and definitely so when you factor in the 3 points vs. 2.

I would like to see Tyler take higher percentage shots is all. But its not just him. It has seemed like lately that the wrong people are taking the right shots. If we want to open up the defense, I would like to see less of Luka, Kriener and Baer shooting threes, and more of Jbo, Wiesy and Moss. And then they can play inside/out, and we are truly unguardable.

You don't like the kid. I get it. You qualify your statements by saying he's a good athlete and Iowa needs that but I don't think you really understand the value of an unstoppable post player.

And don't give me the "he just needs to stay on the low-block and shoot two-footers or get garbage points." It's a silly premise when the guy gets the guy draws double teams if he's within 15 feet of the hoop.
I have never met him, I can't dislike him.

I am simply saying less of him and more of the shooters. He is not a shooter or a gifted scorer unless he gets tons of touches and chances.

Cook was 5-13 from the field for 38% He was 9-13 from the FT line for 69% Plus two not even close misses of front ends of 1 and 1. He has zero assists. Under what definition is that an unstoppable post player?

When the "unstoppable post player" stopped getting the touches, Iowa had a miraculous comeback.

You like him, I got it, but the numbers don't support your "unstoppable" perception of him.

When they went away from him, Iowa started cooking.

I actually do like what he brings, just not so much of him.

This is no knock on Tyler in the least, he is an amazing athlete and he draws double teams, draws fouls and is a pretty good foul shooter. However, I think we can get in to the mode of chasing fouls by pounding it in to Tyler, and Luka as well, and then it really stagnates our offense because everyone gets to standing around. Tyler is an incredible weapon, but when he has to make a post move 15 feet from the basket I am guessing his conversion percentage (score or foul + foul shot make) is less than the percentages of an outside open look to Jbo, Wiesy or Moss, and definitely so when you factor in the 3 points vs. 2.

I would like to see Tyler take higher percentage shots is all. But its not just him. It has seemed like lately that the wrong people are taking the right shots. If we want to open up the defense, I would like to see less of Luka, Kriener and Baer shooting threes, and more of Jbo, Wiesy and Moss. And then they can play inside/out, and we are truly unguardable.
Concur exactly.

JFC, Cook had 19 pts and 11 rebounds in a game where Garza was non existent and Jordan was MIA for the first 35 minutes.
The plan was to go through Cook, it remained that way until Iowa was 15 points behind with time running out. Jordan was MIA because it was about Cook, who BTW had zero assists. When the shooters shoot, and not Cook, then Cook is better. The team is better.

Big Ten officials do a lot of guessing, and they aren't very good at it. Inconsistent, confusing.

I have never met him, I can't dislike him.

I am simply saying less of him and more of the shooters. He is not a shooter or a gifted scorer unless he gets tons of touches and chances.

Cook was 5-13 from the field for 38% He was 9-13 from the FT line for 69% Plus two not even close misses of front ends of 1 and 1. He has zero assists. Under what definition is that an unstoppable post player?

When the "unstoppable post player" stopped getting the touches, Iowa had a miraculous comeback.

You like him, I got it, but the numbers don't support your "unstoppable" perception of him.

When they went away from him, Iowa started cooking.

I actually do like what he brings, just not so much of him.

I already went through this with you last week. I showed you that other top big post players like Happ have a similar number of turnovers, that he leads the team in field goal percentage and is among the top 10 in the league, he's a top 30 player nationally in free throws attempted, etc. I showed you numbers that quantify his value.

You provide a stat here or a circumstance there to criticize the kid. Unstoppable is a figure of speech for an inside player that produces when he gets the ball. Cook does. Consistently. I think it's 14 double doubles this season in 22 games played.

Sorry. More statistics.

Not sure what your deal is with him but it seems personal. Maybe it's just that you don't have a concept of how important it is to have a dominant force inside who requires double teams, draw fouls and opens things up for the shooters.

Here’s a question I would like the Big Ten officiating office to explain on that hard foul on Cook: Their player wasn’t even going for the ball as he was no where near it. Why wasn’t that called an intentional foul? The other foul that was called an intentional foul was mild compared to the foul that sent cook to the floor hard.

I was wondering the same thing.

I already went through this with you last week. I showed you that other top big post players like Happ have a similar number of turnovers, that he leads the team in field goal percentage and is among the top 10 in the league, he's a top 30 player nationally in free throws attempted, etc. I showed you numbers that quantify his value.

You provide a stat here or a circumstance there to criticize the kid. Unstoppable is a figure of speech for an inside player that produces when he gets the ball. Cook does. Consistently. I think it's 14 double doubles this season in 22 games played.

Sorry. More statistics.

Not sure what your deal is with him but it seems personal. Maybe it's just that you don't have a concept of how important it is to have a dominant force inside who requires double teams, draw fouls and opens things up for the shooters.
Perhaps you have "a deal with him" that slants your views?

I was referring to the most recent game where too much Cook nearly cost a game. My point is, our scorers need to shoot and score more. His statistics were pedestrian. He gets lots and lots of touches and that edges out others. there are only so many to go around.

He can win me over to more shots and accolades if he can produce against some top talent.

My views aside, I think he is a valuable asset to the team and wish him well. He is not unstoppable, by any means.

And, Iowa has seldom had such athletic talent in one player. He has a lot of upside if he becomes a reflex shooter and gains confidence, other than dunking.

Sorry. More statistics.

The whole Grass Roots campaign of bashing Tyler Cook started when we won twice on the road without him. Not coincidentally, Garza had big games both times, and comments started popping up in those respective game threads. Then he got careless at Minnesota and against Michigan and now some want him on the bench.

I don't know much about the inner workings of this team. But I do know this. We need Cook on the floor to be at our best. Yes our offense bogged down for a while when we were forcing it to him and Northwestern had adjusted. It could have cost us the game. We found another way to make it happen in time to pull it out.

Now that the shine has worn off a bit, it might also be added that Northwestern has some talent, and has been somewhat of an underachiever this year. They pretty much schooled a top 20 team, on the road, for 37 minutes. This team was no pushover as the players and others might have assumed. Thus, it is a good win, although a squeaky win.

I agree. Iowa was also likely tired and a bit spent from the past (amazing) week. Fans don't think much about fatigue (mental and physical) as a factor. It's a really long season. And yet, they still won.

I'm glad they have nearly a week to prepare for the next game. I think they need a small break.

Perhaps you have "a deal with him" that slants your views?

I was referring to the most recent game where too much Cook nearly cost a game. My point is, our scorers need to shoot and score more. His statistics were pedestrian. He gets lots and lots of touches and that edges out others. there are only so many to go around.

He can win me over to more shots and accolades if he can produce against some top talent.

My views aside, I think he is a valuable asset to the team and wish him well. He is not unstoppable, by any means.

And, Iowa has seldom had such athletic talent in one player. He has a lot of upside if he becomes a reflex shooter and gains confidence, other than dunking.

So hold on here. Cook goes for 19 and 11 and “nearly” cost us the game? Would you say the same of Garza who went for 0 pts? Jordan was nonexistent for 35 of the 40 min himself, did that also “nearly” cost us the game?

So hold on here. Cook goes for 19 and 11 and “nearly” cost us the game? Would you say the same of Garza who went for 0 pts? Jordan was nonexistent for 35 of the 40 min himself, did that also “nearly” cost us the game?
You didn't mention that Cook got a lot of shots/touches and shot 38%. Jordan didn't get the touches for most of the game, they were going to Cook who had zero assists. Did you mention that? Lots of players can go for 19 if they get a lot of shots but it takes more of them if you miss a lot.

The point is, at least in this game, when the ball stopped going to Cook after Iowa was down by 15, and started going to the shooters JB/Wieskamp/Moss Iowa had a stunning victory. Shooters need the ball, the shots, that's how it works. Too much Cook clogs this team up too often. He has lots of strengths.

My nephew's team had to play against Cook in an AAU game in STL.

Cook scored at will. Everyone knew he was a prospective NBA talent.

They had five full days to get ready for us. They looked refreshed and poised for much of the game.

We won't have five days to get ready for Maryland, but we have a game with Rutgers. As dangerous as they are at home, it's a lot easier than what Maryland has to tangle with this week; Purdue, @Michigan.

They also had Law healthy for the first time in forever, and he played like it.

Latest posts