Now is when the Fran losers disappear until next season

At this point the season has not been great by any measure. How can you say great. It is above avg only compared to last year's mess. A 21-8 record when you add in at least 6 easy non-conf games is not great.

Period. Wake up fans.
21-8 and being ranked in the top 25 all by 3 weeks of the season up until this point, is a pretty nice year. Everyone wants to go ahead a write this teams ending but the reality is nobody knows what is going to happen. Sit back and enjoy it either way. Watch them unfold or watch them reach for greater heights, but most of all, be a Hawkeye fan.

21-8 and being ranked in the top 25 all by 3 weeks of the season up until this point, is a pretty nice year. Everyone wants to go ahead a write this teams ending but the reality is nobody knows what is going to happen. Sit back and enjoy it either way. Watch them unfold or watch them reach for greater heights, but most of all, be a Hawkeye fan.

Being a Hawkeye fan doesn’t mean you have to be a Fran or Kirk fan. Nor does it mean you should have to accept mediocrity year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year. Yet some people are happy to do that.

CYCLONE mental disorder has made its way East.

Last edited:
Being a passionate Hawkeye fan is why we are so up and down with our university athletics and support. We all want to be competive at the national level, striving the same way the hospital and academia does as well. Being loyal does not mean you are complacent and accepting of poor effort and performance in all categories from coaches to students.

People’s lack of understanding of the college basketball landscape is outstanding.

With Iowa dancing this year that will be four out of the last 6 years going to the dance. That puts us ahead or on par with the following programs in terms of tourney appearances:

-Ohio State
-Maryland
-Minnesota
-Nebraska
-Indiana

Now a few of those schools have had better seed on occasion which is what Iowa should strive for, but to act like Iowa basketball is some complete dumpster fire of suck is far from accurate. We are likely ahead of Minny, Nebraska, and Indiana, as programs over the last 6 years. On par or close to Ohio State and slightly behind Maryland as a program over the last 6 years.

Matt Painter in years 7-10 missed the tourney twice and was a 9 and 10 seed the other years.

We are all hoping we can strive to the next level but to act like we are a complete disaster just isn’t factual at all.

I will watch the games and enjoy any remaining wins. Even if they don't win any more games, they will still finish at 21-12 - a lot better than I expected. With the talent and coaches we have that is pretty good improvement over last year. The only thing that would ruin this season for me is if GB extends the contract and increases the buyout.

My expectations for next year will be a little lower - TC gone, Baer gone (nobody else hustles consistently). Toussaint probably the next Trey Dickerson and Patrick McCaffery needs 50 lbs of extra bulk to be effective in the conference. Although Nunge and Pemsl will return, I don't think that offsets losing TC.

Being a Hawkeye fan doesn’t mean you have to be a Fran or Kirk fan. Nor does it mean you should have to accept mediocrity year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year. Yet some people are happy to do that.

CYCLONE mental disorder has made its way East.

so, now that Iowa has over achieved what was expected for it this season the narrative now is that's accepting mediocrity. How many times do we have to move the target this year? How can we accept anything or be accused of being happy with it when it isn't over or played out? There is plenty of time for these discussions. How can you call this season mediocre, it's still has all the good part left to play and Iowa has put itself in position to included in the NCAA?

so, now that Iowa has over achieved what was expected for it this season the narrative now is that's accepting mediocrity. How many times do we have to move the target this year? How can we accept anything or be accused of being happy with it when it isn't over or played out? There is plenty of time for these discussions. How can you call this season mediocre, it's still has all the good part left to play and Iowa has put itself in position to included in the NCAA?
Shouldn't we let it play out before we claim that they overachieved?

Shouldn't we let it play out before we claim that they overachieved?

They really have to this point have they not? Isn't that fair to say? This team has over achieved in every sense of the word compared to expectations. Now, if you want to argue that our expectations should be higher at this point, I doubt you'd get an argument from me.

But don't try and paint a 21-8 record as some sort of failure for Iowa basketball.

They really have to this point have they not? Isn't that fair to say? This team has over achieved in every sense of the word compared to expectations. Now, if you want to argue that our expectations should be higher at this point, I doubt you'd get an argument from me.

But don't try and paint a 21-8 record as some sort of failure for Iowa basketball.
I thought most of us were expecting 21 to 22 wins this year. I guess there might be a difference between what people thought they should do and what people thought would actually happen.

Considering what most were saying after last year wouldn't you consider what has already been accomplished as over achieving?
Not for super fans -they win no matter what. Before the year, they called you an idiot if you had NCAA aspirations for this team before or during the beginning of the season. Now that it's highly unlikely that Iowa misses the dance, they've changed the target and also upgraded what their and your expectation should be, which is much higher than even the most optimistic of Iowa fan would have imagined for this team. That way, they can still be let down and give others the business.

I thought most of us were expecting 21 to 22 wins this year. I guess there might be a difference between what people thought they should do and what people thought would actually happen.

Let me tell ya - I'll NEVER forget all the 21 and 22 win predictions from this off season, those were epic talks about how Iowa would get to 21 or 22 or maybe even higher. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Let me tell ya - I'll NEVER forget all the 21 and 22 win predictions from this off season, those were epic talks about how Iowa would get to 21 or 22 or maybe even higher. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Pull up the thread. It's in the archives somewhere.

I guess I was looking at it this way. None of us knew what to expect this year, but we had expectations that the BB team should meet. For me, I was thinking around 22 or more wins and a Sweet 16. This team is too experienced to expect less. I also don't believe they should have lower expectations simply because the previous season was horrible. :)

I only had 1 thread I had to find to show your expectations. You had them at 0% chance of the dance. So we got that out of the way, who's next?
I'm asking for the pre-season prediction thread. I thought you dug it up somewhere in an earlier thread.

I guess I was looking at it this way. None of us knew what to expect this year, but we had expectations that the BB team should meet. For me, I was thinking around 22 or more wins and a Sweet 16. This team is too experienced to expect less. I also don't believe they should have lower expectations simply because the previous season was horrible. :)

I know I didn't. I wouldn't lower my expectations with a coach in his 9th season unless something great had been accomplished and a core from that greatness was gone. Iowa has met my expectations this season thus far and played a little above it.

People’s lack of understanding of the college basketball landscape is outstanding.

With Iowa dancing this year that will be four out of the last 6 years going to the dance. That puts us ahead or on par with the following programs in terms of tourney appearances:

-Ohio State
-Maryland
-Minnesota
-Nebraska
-Indiana

Now a few of those schools have had better seed on occasion which is what Iowa should strive for, but to act like Iowa basketball is some complete dumpster fire of suck is far from accurate. We are likely ahead of Minny, Nebraska, and Indiana, as programs over the last 6 years. On par or close to Ohio State and slightly behind Maryland as a program over the last 6 years.

Matt Painter in years 7-10 missed the tourney twice and was a 9 and 10 seed the other years.

We are all hoping we can strive to the next level but to act like we are a complete disaster just isn’t factual at all.

How many tournament wins do those teams have compared to Iowa during that span?

Latest posts