Now is when the Fran losers disappear until next season

As some of us mentioned at the time, that Northwestern game was the definition of lipstick on a Pig. Imagine if we didn’t get that one and at Rutgers. We’d be feeling very bubbly right now.

It's possible that if we lost to Northwestern, it would have changed the mindset of this team for the better and games after could have been way better. Or they could have tanked after it. It's tough to say with college kids.

When we were beating teams at the beginning of the year, we were beating teams that didn't take us that serious. Now we need to beat teams that are getting "up" for us. It's not really that surprising that this team isn't good enough to win under that scenario.

Here's the way I look at it. Fran is here for at least a few more years unless things get really bad. He's got this team in a position where we should be bubble team at least over that time. I'm going to still remain positive and hope things get better due to recruiting getting better. This is the last year that those 2 horrible recruiting classes will effect us. After that, our fate is in the hands of unknowns like Nunge, Joe T, and Patrick. It's still possible that Nunge can live up to his hype, Patrick can live up to his ranking, or Jow T can be like all the point guard recruits Fran has missed on in the past (the point guards that Fran has missed on is a pretty impressive list). We already know we have a potential all time great on the team to go with those guys. If all 3 of the things I listed happen, and Garza gets stronger, we should be pretty darn good over the next few years. That's it. That's all I got right now.
I like that core, again I’m higher on Nunge than most but I do like that core. The 2020 recruiting class is massive for Fran and this program. Regardless of how one feels about Fran we need to bring in some quality players in that class if we don’t want to fall back into the abyss.

When we were beating teams at the beginning of the year, we were beating teams that didn't take us that serious. Now we need to beat teams that are getting "up" for us. It's not really that surprising that this team isn't good enough to win under that scenario.

Here's the way I look at it. Fran is here for at least a few more years unless things get really bad. He's got this team in a position where we should be bubble team at least over that time. I'm going to still remain positive and hope things get better due to recruiting getting better. This is the last year that those 2 horrible recruiting classes will effect us. After that, our fate is in the hands of unknowns like Nunge, Joe T, and Patrick. It's still possible that Nunge can live up to his hype, Patrick can live up to his ranking, or Jow T can be like all the point guard recruits Fran has missed on in the past (the point guards that Fran has missed on is a pretty impressive list). We already know we have a potential all time great on the team to go with those guys. If all 3 of the things I listed happen, and Garza gets stronger, we should be pretty darn good over the next few years. That's it. That's all I got right now.
In position to be a bubble team....<sigh>.

Iowa has finished 3rd twice in the last 5 seasons. How do fans forget that quickly?

Because it’s not first place. That’s the goal isn’t it. I got the tux, the corsage, pick out the make out site. What more could s guy want than that? Hmmmmm something is missing here.

My definition of a collapse is when a team plays worse at the end of the year than they played during the rest of the year. I think most everyone would agree with my definition other than one guy who thinks a team can collapse at the beginning of the year too. If we use my (and almost everyone else's) definition, this will be the 3rd collapse if it ends how it looks like it will.

That is my definition also and I agree that I think it is 3 pretty bad collapses in the last 6 years, i think that it is 6 years.

50% of the time having really good teams collapse. That is not good. Yes maybe this years team wasnt as good as thought but they beat some big teams in the non-conf, then were rolling and handled Michigan. Now if the collapse continues you are looking at 21-11 record and 5-7 of those non-conf wins were against 'weak' teams.

Maybe the best barometer will be when Fran has a team that will pound the non-conf patsies consistently by 30+ points, beat the tough non-conf teams by 12 or so, and then just keep playing well in conference.

Hey as a longtime hawk fan who has seen and heard and read about some championship teams I want to see a Big 10 regular season championship. That is the main measuring stick. That is the guantlet. Big Ten tourney wins are special but when you see weaker teams go on a roll and win a tourney the tourneys are diminished.

Typical Chris Hassel. Bag on the Hawks,Bag on the Hawks,Bag on the Hawks. Go Drake,man love on Drake ( God please don’t let anyone ask why I won’t mention ISUs beatdown today..) Bag on the Hawks.
Speaking of ISU's beatdown, can ESPN's bracketology please remove them from the five line? For decency's sake? Because if they're a five seed than I'm an astronaut. Maybe it will get updated today and the right thing will be done. Because getting punked by Shaka Smart by 17 does not help a tournament resume.

EDIT: They're still a five. The only thing they're a five in is the standing in their own conference.

Last edited:
Because it’s not first place. That’s the goal isn’t it. I got the tux, the corsage, pick out the make out site. What more could s guy want than that? Hmmmmm something is missing here.

Oh, I see. You want to participate and be in contention to win it all. Stand behind the mediocre coach or stand aside. A participation ribbon is good enough around here.

No.
I face up every time.
Unlike most of you guys. Who vanish. Like now.

And enough of the 'negative' palaver.
We're the positive ones. We know Iowa can do better than Fran. That's being positive about Iowa Basketball.

There are 3 types of posters on this sight 1. the majority are pessimists that show up after every loss 2. the optimists that show up to defend Iowa , its coaches and players and 3. the realists who try to post thoughtfully looking at both what is good and what isn't good with the program ………… positive posters do not dump manure on the coaches , on the players or the U of I administrative staff, positive posters can most definitely question things on all 3 and debate what it will take to make things better , ….. personally , I think at the very least we need a change in assistant coaches , with emphasis on coaches that are great recruiters , also with in your face defensive coaching ability

And there it is. This is the exact post I knew I would see in response to that. Someone doesn't know a stat that seems like they should know before they post what they post, someone corrects them, and then they respond to the correction saying it doesn't matter because they didn't win. It's like a fan of the Bill's complaining because they can't ever make it to the super bowl, then another fan informing them that they made 4, then that fan coming back with "it doesn't matter because they didn't win".

Last summer most people didn't think there was any way that Iowa would even be close to an NCAA Tournament bid this year, yet here we are. Yes they have hit a wall and taken a step back but the season isn't over yet.

Francis is better at post game press conferences than coaching, it appears.

Often times teams do better with the asst taking over in a short duration. A good assistant has observed some of the negative patterns and has a few wrinkles the opponents don't expect. This game wasn't close to that. Makes Fran look like a great game manager.

I spend as much time as anybody on boards but I couldn’t tell you where Iowa State has finished for the most part. If you don’t win the conference it’s about playing for seed, and I could tell you the ncaa seeds much easier than a meaningless conference finish.

Do people on your board constantly bitch about where your coach finishes in the conference then have to be corrected over and over and over?

Fran isn’t a bad coach, he’s a mid major coach that talks a good game but just isn’t capable of a sustained run with the big dawgs so ultimately collapses down the stretch. His mid major coaching abilities and his mid major recruiting skills in a big time conference got him a nice raise and a killer buyout only because Barta is such a clueless chump.

Any other AD and Fran would’ve been back in the minors where he belongs several years ago. Any other AD and he wouldn’t have been hired in the first place.

If not for three buzzer beaters (against teams with a combined record of 16-37) this team would be 0-6 after the Michigan game. This team is not only not peaking at the right time, it is free falling at the same time as ever courtesy of a mid major coach who is in over his head. At least he isn’t in way over his head as Lickliter was. By comparison Fran seems like a good coach to those that are easily placated. Heaven help us if Barta is the one to choose KF’s eventual replacement.

If’s , but’s, candy, nuts

If’s , but’s, candy, nuts
Yep. There are only two binary outcomes to a basketball game.

No one gave us sympathy in 1995 when we lost three consecutive one point games. They stuck our ass where it belonged-the NIT.

I can't believe the posters here who want to all but classify a couple of those wins as losses. They were WINS. We've had thread after thread devoted to when our last buzzer beating win was. And how those always go in for the other team. Then we get two in a week (and very nearly three) and people still can't enjoy them.

If we revert back to something like 17-14 (8-12) next year people who didn't enjoy this season a little bit more are going to wish they did.

I’m right here, ain’t going no where. That was a bad loss, Iowa’s first and worst loss of the season. Team’s not playing well. I picked 10-10 for this team even up until a few weeks ago. Why would Fran supporters disappear, been a great season and Iowa is gonna dance in March.

At this point the season has not been great by any measure. How can you say great. It is above avg only compared to last year's mess. A 21-8 record when you add in at least 6 easy non-conf games is not great.

Period. Wake up fans.

They were worthy of bagging on-for one day. Rob himself suggested they may have been distracted by the events of the week when I argued that it should have given them an "us against the world" mentality. They knew Rutgers meant business. Rutgers themselves said two weeks ago they were looking for the rematch. And where did I mention Drake. I haven't mentioned them once.

If you would have my post instead of bagging on it, you would have observed that I had complemented them for clutch play. That hasn't changed, and it might serve them well in the postseason. But, until they show they can play above distractions, some trepidation still exists. You can't have that "woe is me" mentality because your coach has gotten into it with the refs again. They didn't have that mindset when they won two road games in January without Cook. Remember that team? Fearless, gritty, tough. It's time to get mindset back. Instead I'm seeing players pass up open shots and breakdowns all over the court on the defensive end.

Still plenty of season to play for. Time for the players to have a short memory. Wisconsin is one of the least athletic teams in the league. That should be a good matchup. And if senior night emotion means anything, it's time to turn that on a couple opponents. Or they could still find a three way tie for sixth and end up playing Minnesota or Ohio State in the BTT. But heck, maybe that's for the better.
Even if Iowa somehow goes 0-2 they will be a solo 6th. MN and OSU each have at least 1 (virtually guaranteed) lose left.

My definition of a collapse is when a team plays worse at the end of the year than they played during the rest of the year. I think most everyone would agree with my definition other than one guy who thinks a team can collapse at the beginning of the year too. If we use my (and almost everyone else's) definition, this will be the 3rd collapse if it ends how it looks like it will.
Iowa could go 2-0 and they could go 0-2. They will probably go 1-1. The magic number for me is 37. That’s our season 3 point shooting percentage. I think we will win all of the next 3 games that we hit that mark...and struggle in any game we’re under 30%.

I like that core, again I’m higher on Nunge than most but I do like that core. The 2020 recruiting class is massive for Fran and this program. Regardless of how one feels about Fran we need to bring in some quality players in that class if we don’t want to fall back into the abyss.
I like Nunge’s upside...and he was smart to RS. I’m also optimistic with Pemsl. I liked his form from the line, etc. during his ISU cameo. We are better this year than last year and I think we will be better next year than this year.

Iowa is in danger of falling into a tie for sixth place in the big ten. I don't see them finishing strong. Frans teams usually bomb out at the end of the year while other teams seem to get better. I think its because of the talent level on the teams. I think the other teams have figured out if they can slow Bohannon down a second or two they will slow down the Iowa offense. A second or two gives the other team plenty of time to set up their defense. Bohannons backup will never be a great player if he only plays basketball part time. The team needs a guy like Toussaint both for his defense and putting pressure on the other teams defense. Bohannon is a good player, but athletically he isn't big ten level. Probably ninety nine percent plus isn't athletic enough to play in the big ten so I'm not trying to knock Bohannon. It is the coaches responsibility though.

Latest posts