Note from the Publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the iowa team kneels for the anthem, i will take it as a metaphor for kneeling on the neck of this country. no more iowa football for me, in that scenario. let's see how 68k fans feel, should that happen. disrespecting the country is not going to solve one damn issue. you flip the entire country the bird, then demand respect back? nope, the world doesn't look that way. i wonder how the man in charge apparently was absolutely clueless this had been going on for years and years and years and "change in that culture is long overdue" but he gets to say "gee, i didn't know." right.

The problem with your view is that you begin with the assumption that kneeling by an individual or a team means they are disrespecting our Country.. You are dead wrong. They are respecting the country by standing up for all of us being better.

As put to another...try being anti racist than non racist. It will help. Try supporting crime victims rather than screaming.....your a victim mentally. Just try.

Are you suggesting we just blindly believe everything everyone says?

"Doing it the right way!" Just try it. For quite a few years The Athletic Dept has been trying to it the right way. But what does the "RIGHT WAY" mean and is it a racist concept?

If it means expecting players that represent the university to behave responsibly in a social setting and avoid getting any form of notoriety then it maybe the crux of all the negative comments about the personnel in the football program. The instance a young man commits to playing football or basketball at The U of I they become a celebrity. If he or she is under 21, gets arrested for being in a bar illegally, it is automatically front page news above the fold.

So when an athlete, regardless of race, first steps on to campus they are in for a cultural shock. It is especially difficult for someone from the inner city to traverse into a world where the slightest deviancy from the "Right Way" gets you in trouble.

It is a real predicament for the athletic staff and personnel. The public pressure to keep the athlete out of trouble and out of the news conflicts with the culture many of these young people came from. Just how do you tell someone you can't act like that here when it has been perfectly OK where they came from? Yet they are expected too.

It is ironic that the City of Iowa City, a bastion of far left wing politics, has restrictive laws related to places where students congregate. The same people that cry out about racism are the same people that elect a city council to write restrictive laws and have them enforced.

Rob Howe can solicit the salacious and publish the comments because he believes it will somehow lead to better treatment of the athletes. The reality is that it is academia and the province of Iowa City that created the conditions for the comments. Just more hypocrisy by the utopians in Iowa City.

Are you suggesting we just blindly believe everything everyone says?
No, we need to quit excepting everything ALL say including those screaming there is no covert racism. When trauma is involved the worst thing to start with is how the victim did things wrong. We have to start with acknowledging we have a severe problem and make our changes without expecting anything from the victim. That is where it begins.

PC, some of the things you say are quite naive and inflammatory to the victims.

No, we need to quit excepting everything ALL say including those screaming there is no covert racism. When trauma is involved the worst thing to start with is how the victim did things wrong. We have to start with acknowledging we have a severe problem and make our changes without expecting anything from the victim. That is where it begins.

PC, some of the things you say are quite naive and inflammatory to the victims.
I hate to break it to you, but white people have been working for change for a long time now.

As put to another...try being anti racist than non racist. It will help. Try supporting crime victims rather than screaming.....your a victim mentally. Just try.

Can we please hear another story about one of your kids being bullied by the school system? Please, oh, please? R tell us the one about your son overcoming the mean coach who only played white players, but your kid made the whole community stand up for change. Was it the kid that can two-hand dunk? I think that's the one. Oh, please, tell it again!

Can we please hear another story about one of your kids being bullied by the school system? Please, oh, please? R tell us the one about your son overcoming the mean coach who only played white players, but your kid made the whole community stand up for change. Was it the kid that can two-hand dunk? I think that's the one. Oh, please, tell it again!

What have you done? Isn't it kind of late?

I hate to break it to you, but white people have been working for change for a long time now.

Some have. Some folks of all color, creed, cultures have been working for change. Some for decades.

But some have been working against it.

Both unfortunately, are vocal minorities (pun half intended).

We need the historically Slient Majority to speak up. At minimum, we then will know the real tenor of the country.

Some have. Some folks of all color, creed, cultures have been working for change. Some for decades.

But some have been working against it.

Both unfortunately, are vocal minorities (pun half intended).

We need the historically Slient Majority to speak up. At minimum, we then will know the real tenor of the country.
As long as they speak up the right way I'm all for it. Lately I don't feel like that's what's happening.

The problem with your view is that you begin with the assumption that kneeling by an individual or a team means they are disrespecting our Country.. You are dead wrong. They are respecting the country by standing up for all of us being better.

huck, that is nothing more than word salad. the specific acts of standing, removing your hat, placing your hand over your heart and reciting the national anthem do one specific thing...show respect for our flag and country and to show homage to those who have defending our country against both foreign and domestic enemies.

"kneeling to show they're standing..." come on, man. unless you physically cannot stand or stand for the entirety of the national anthem, we follow those four actions to collectively show respect and homage. anything else is not showing respect or homage. it's that simple and no world salad can talk over or through that.

There is no word salad there, at all. I made my living at a position that required a lot of writing to a large audience. I was pretty good at it. It is a clearly stated view. You don't like it? OK. I am fine with that. Your assumption that standing during the anthem means only one thing is beyond logic. Sorry, Arvada, but the whole world does not march to your direction on what things mean. You really need to expand your views.

I laugh at those who will stop at nothing to protect KF. I mean, come on, I like the guy too but he is far from perfect and it's clearly obvious that he has made some mistakes with DJK and some of the other black players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts