Not to quote Ferentz...

I was at the Creighton game and in person Iowa doesn't look even close to being a D1 team. It was like watching a high school game. Its going to take Fran 4+ years to get this thing going unless he finds lightning in a bottle. I hope our fan base will be patient as I think Fran is the right coach for us.
Yes we have a good class coming in next year but I really don't think they will shock the basketball world the first couple years. It will take time to develope.

I was at the Creighton game and in person Iowa doesn't look even close to being a D1 team. It was like watching a high school game. Its going to take Fran 4+ years to get this thing going unless he finds lightning in a bottle. I hope our fan base will be patient as I think Fran is the right coach for us.
Yes we have a good class coming in next year but I really don't think they will shock the basketball world the first couple years. It will take time to develope.

I think 4 years is pretty reasonable. One or two players can change your program. The incoming talent is some of the best in years. I'm just worried about next years recruiting class if we stink it up this year but luckily I think we only have two scholarships to fill if we don't use our last one this year.

but this really does have some to do with execution.

No, the talent isn't the best in the B1G.
However, Iowa is better than what they are showing on the court.

I think that's one of the more frustrating things to see. Iowa isn't playing well, but I don't think they are a really bad team.

Somehow, some way they need to turn it around. They don't have many games to fix the problems before the conference slate starts. This will really test Fran's skills.

Great another coach who wants to use that same BS talk....

There is a reason Carver going to be empty most of the year....

Some of Jarryd's Tweets tonight:

At Iowa, I reiterated the word "reflect" to the media during tough times. It's about manning up. Dig deep and bring some heart to the floor.

Every body wants and believes in the 5star recruit, but it all means nothing when the recruits don't believe in themselves.

This is the most talented we've been since my freshman year. When they get some accountability, it could get ugly for opponents.

Storm

great POSITIVE post!

You and Cole are exactly right this team got the crap kicked out of them by Creighton and have been playing scared ever since. It is up to Fran to get their confidence up. I'm not saying that this team is going to contend for a Big Ten Championship, but they have the talent to win 15-16 games this yr. They are playing with 0 confidence right now, unless the Hawks get tougher and more resilent it will be a very long yr.

Storm

great POSITIVE post!

You and Cole are exactly right this team got the crap kicked out of them by Creighton and have been playing scared ever since. It is up to Fran to get their confidence up. I'm not saying that this team is going to contend for a Big Ten Championship, but they have the talent to win 15-16 games this yr. They are playing with 0 confidence right now, unless the Hawks get tougher and more resilent it will be a very long yr.

I think it's more than playing with confidence that is lacking. From the looks of it they have no leader, no guy that others look up to for motivation, to lead by example, or to give them the kick in the rear when it's needed.

Just because someone is a senior or the leading scorer doesn't make him a leader, throw in the fact that I think some on this team have began to be fine with losing. Once that happens it's really tough to get things turned around.

I think it's a lack of confidence, leadership, and chemistry. Not a good combo to have on a basketball team. Right now the desire and drive just isn't there.

I think it's more than playing with confidence that is lacking. From the looks of it they have no leader, no guy that others look up to for motivation, to lead by example, or to give them the kick in the rear when it's needed.

Just because someone is a senior or the leading scorer doesn't make him a leader, throw in the fact that I think some on this team have began to be fine with losing. Once that happens it's really tough to get things turned around.

I think it's a lack of confidence, leadership, and chemistry. Not a good combo to have on a basketball team. Right now the desire and drive just isn't there.

I endorse this entire post....

The toughest guy on the team last yr was Cole, he led by example, kept his head up and always gave 100% nobody on this current team is even close to be as tough mentally as Cole.

My thoughts on this team are that when the shots are not falling against decent competition they are just not tough enough to play through it. Nobody steps up and is boarding (Basabe and no center), giving up way to many open looks at 3 etc.

The really frustrating part is that we were getting great looks last night. When we were 1/9 on three point shots to start the game I can't think of one of those nine that was heavily contested and there were at least 5 that weren't contested at all. An average shooting team would have made 4/9. Plus there were multiple other open 15-18 foot jump shots. A few shots go down and the energy level picks up on defense and suddenly the shots won't fall for Clemson because we put some pressure on them.

We just have to break out of the funk. Having said all that this team will be very lucky to win 12 games this year at this point.

The toughest guy on the team last yr was Cole, he led by example, kept his head up and always gave 100% nobody on this current team is even close to be as tough mentally as Cole.

This, I think there are way too many guys pointing fingers at each other and not at themselves on how they could improve to make the team better.

I don't care if you shoot 15% from the floor, you make it up on the other end, play great D get some easy buckets off TO's and things should start to snowball especially at home.

It's almost like all the guys on the team just say to themselves "here we go again"

Cole was that effort guy and leader last year something that they clearly are missing.

A few of the positives that I saw from last night:

We had 8 steals and 10 turnovers (big positives). They had 2 steals and 18 turnovers.

The problem:
We shot 28%, they shot 52%.
They outrebounded us by 18.

My thoughts on this team are that when the shots are not falling against decent competition they are just not tough enough to play through it. Nobody steps up and is boarding (Basabe and no center), giving up way to many open looks at 3 etc.

The really frustrating part is that we were getting great looks last night. When we were 1/9 on three point shots to start the game I can't think of one of those nine that was heavily contested and there were at least 5 that weren't contested at all. An average shooting team would have made 4/9. Plus there were multiple other open 15-18 foot jump shots. A few shots go down and the energy level picks up on defense and suddenly the shots won't fall for Clemson because we put some pressure on them.

We just have to break out of the funk. Having said all that this team will be very lucky to win 12 games this year at this point.

this:)

This, I think there are way too many guys pointing fingers at each other and not at themselves on how they could improve to make the team better.

I don't care if you shoot 15% from the floor, you make it up on the other end, play great D get some easy buckets off TO's and things should start to snowball especially at home.

It's almost like all the guys on the team just say to themselves "here we go again"

Cole was that effort guy and leader last year something that they clearly are missing.

this too:)

Definitely little / no chemistry on this team. Not naming names, but some of the starters go to the bench and sulk instead of clapping for the guys on the floor making plays. I don't know how you have fun while getting blown out, but somebody needs to have a closed door meeting and say "let's commit to the team and play for pride" whatever, just something to light a fire of unity.

Latest posts