***North Florida Game Thread***

I agree on Fran's rotation, I have always hated the entire "hockey" like line up change he does. Why can't he mix that so we keep our best players on the floor and so we can see what some of the bench guys look like with some of the starters? Drives me nuts. But... I think he did well last year... and he has done well in the past (as in pushing the right buttons, getting the right guys on the court, his rotations etc) IMO, last year he found the right balance and did a pretty good job with that. I think they are still in the "let's see what we have here" mode. There's a lot of new pieces on this team. It's impossible they don't recognize what they are seeing from Joe T.

It's just hard for me to tell what that is gonna be in these types of games... Like, if you're gonna play a bunch of guys and see what you have, North Florida is the type of game to do it. So, I don't know how much he'll lean things down. Games like Depaul when we're getting our doors blown off he is just shoveling guys in to see if he can stop the bleeding.

I think we'll see Fran lean on certain guys more when the games against better teams start coming. Ya can't imagine that if Jordan starts to get right that he's gonna be coming in off the bench in a month.

We'll know by next week. I REALLY hope we play Creighton. They have really good guards and almost nothing in the post. It would be a clash of 2 teams that couldn't be more opposite and I wanna see how they stack up. I think CU fans are planning on dancing this year but I think that's ambitious.
Yup I’m with you. I do think last year the rotation was basically there by default due to Pemsl being hurt and Nunge taking the redshirt. Basically it sorted things out for Fran.

Next week will be interesting. Games on back to back days it’s nice to have 10 guys ready to play for different situations. Like I said an 8 man rotation would be ideal, but that doesn’t mean Pemsl or Evelyn would never play, there would be foul trouble or certain situations where they could get some run.

Lol.. Nice try!
giphy.gif

I kept thinking Iowa has the pieces to easily make the tournament. They have two really good players. Most teams with two really good players make the tournament. Now it looks like they have a point guard who makes both ends of the floor better. Nunge is starting to look better. CJ looks like an average 2 guard on a Big 10 team. That's 2 average starters, one good starter (if Toussaint starts) and two really good starters. That's a tournament team.
I was really hoping CJ would get some more run last night. Struggled first half and then comes out playing hard in the 2H. Hits a few shots. Then starters go out and CJ never gets back in.

In your analysis we aren’t even accounting for Jbo. It seems like he’s starting to come around a bit. His shot wasn’t falling last night but it seemed he moved a little better. At the very least he’s a veteran player and a big shot maker.

Yup I’m with you. I do think last year the rotation was basically there by default due to Pemsl being hurt and Nunge taking the redshirt. Basically it sorted things out for Fran.

Next week will be interesting. Games on back to back days it’s nice to have 10 guys ready to play for different situations. Like I said an 8 man rotation would be ideal, but that doesn’t mean Pemsl or Evelyn would never play, there would be foul trouble or certain situations where they could get some run.

For some reason, Fran likes to sub like the NBA with a second unit playing together instead of subbing in and out like most college teams do. Sometimes it looks good (like last night) and sometimes it doesn't (like when the 2nd unit struggled vs Oral Roberts). After this many years, it doesn't seem like he will change his strategy. Unless injuries force his hand (as mentioned). If both Patrick and subsequently Jordan both decide to sit, it will be down to 9 or so to play (with appearances from Riley Till at times).

I kept thinking Iowa has the pieces to easily make the tournament. They have two really good players. Most teams with two really good players make the tournament. Now it looks like they have a point guard who makes both ends of the floor better. Nunge is starting to look better. CJ looks like an average 2 guard on a Big 10 team. That's 2 average starters, one good starter (if Toussaint starts) and two really good starters. That's a tournament team.

Let's pump the brakes slightly until we see these pieces vs P5 teams like Texas Tech, Syracuse, Michigan, Minnesota, ISU, and Cincinnati (their next 6 games after Cal Poly on Sunday). I agree there is potential, but let's see how this team does when playing teams that can match them physically.

in that there's an upperclassmen playing ahead of him....well, you know. Pat...take a seat.

A point guard with quickness that can create and finish...gee, who knew? :rolleyes:

Kind of like a freshman RB with speed making a difference and making everyone clammer for them. :)

Can you guys imagine how he must be tearing it up in practice every day? Who on Iowa's roster can stay in front of him? If he plays that well and isn't turning it over why would he be sitting? He's a young kid used to playing street ball. He can run and play all day long. He should be able to handle more then 20-25 plus mins no problem with his style of play. His scoring is borderline a bonus. His breaking down defenses passing and just taking on the attention of the D that he'll command will make everyone elses games better.

Basketball and football are completely different!!

Sure they are ... but it's an apt comparison. Goodson provides something that the upperclassmen RBs do not ... speed and elusiveness. He is now starting and the coaches are learning how to use him more effectively. And his blocking on picking up the blitz has really improved.

Joe T provides a similar difference to the basketball team (skills that no one else has). He has to learn how to play under control, but a lot of fans are willing to live with possible mistakes (like the Oral Roberts game) if he provides the level of excitement along with defense and playmaking he did last night. Let's hope he continues to thrive in his role and is able to play more minutes to help this team going forward.

Let's pump the brakes slightly until we see these pieces vs P5 teams like Texas Tech, Syracuse, Michigan, Minnesota, ISU, and Cincinnati (their next 6 games after Cal Poly on Sunday). I agree there is potential, but let's see how this team does when playing teams that can match them physically.
Remember we will play Creighton or SDSU the night after Texas Tech too.

What are our realistic expectations here? 2-5? 3-4?

Probably have to get at least to 7 wins in the non conference. Should have 5 with Cal Poly and Kennesaw State. So need 2 wins from TTU, Creighton/SDSU, Cuse, ISU, and Cincy.

Then have to hope for 11 wins in conference. That would put us at 18.

Long way to go. We will find out a ton in the next couple weeks though.

Why would I pump my breaks? You pump your breaks if you want. I'm pushing the gas to the floor.

Ideally, I would want a 3 man rotation at the 1 and 2 between Joe T, CKx and Bohannon. Connor getting 10-12 minutes backing up Weiskamp at the 3. Then a 3 man rotation at the 4 and 5 between Garza, Nunge, and one of Kriener and Pemsl. I think that's a pretty damn solid team.

Why would I pump my breaks? You pump your breaks if you want. I'm pushing the gas to the floor.

I am pumping the brakes, but you don't have to pump your breaks. :)

I just think it is silly to say we have the pieces of a tournament team after beating North Florida when a week ago this same team was beaten by DePaul soundly. The ups and downs of a basketball season can be a bit bumpy. I am going to let December play out (schedule) and the decisions on JBo and Patrick happen before I decide whether the pieces are there for a tournament team.

Ideally, I would want a 3 man rotation at the 1 and 2 between Joe T, CKx and Bohannon. Connor getting 10-12 minutes backing up Weiskamp at the 3. Then a 3 man rotation at the 4 and 5 between Garza, Nunge, and one of Kriener and Pemsl. I think that's a pretty damn solid team.

One question - do you think Fran will play those rotations? History tells us, without injuries, he wants to play 10 or so players.