Norm Parker and the Future

cincyhawk

First of all, Norm is great. His defense is the #1 team in the land in scoring defense. Bend but don't break works, and he has all the pieces he needs several rows deep to run it like he wants to. He's welcome to stay and coach as long as he wants to. We love you Norm Parker.

However, he has a chronic health condition that seems to be deteriorating more rapidly as the years go on. With that in mind, surely Ferentz and the Hawkeye coaching staff have defensive coordinator contingencies in the back of their minds.

Here is my short list of candidates for the job supposing Norm and his family decide that it is time to hang it up after this season.

1. Phil Parker (Iowa defensive secondary coach)
Phil has been with the Iowa staff for 12 years. Before that he was the secondary coach for Toledo for 11 years. Continuity has always been an important factor for Iowa, and Phil's experience under Norm and Coach Ferentz allows him to know the "Iowa Way" of coaching inside and out. He knows what type of player Iowa can be expected to get in recruiting and his zone schemes have been a big part of Iowa's bend but don't break defensive philosophy.

2. Dan McCarney (Florida defensive coordinator/Asst. Head coach)
Dan's defenses have been the reason Florida has had tremendous success over the past few seasons. He's a former Iowa player and Hayden Fry assistant. He's the most successful Iowa State head coach in school history. It is widely known that he wanted the Iowa head coaching job when Hayden left, and he made it hurt when he went to I.S.U. Dan would make an excellent replacement for Norm, and also an excellent heir-apparent at HC should Kirk decide to leave for the NFL someday. Getting him away from Florida would be difficult for anything but the head coaching job, but he has roots as a Hawkeye and would keep the smash-mouth Iowa football reputation alive. He is also a great recruiter.

3. Keith Butler (Pittsburgh Steeler's LB coach, 2003 - Present)
Keith has worked under Dick LeBeau and Mike Tomlinson for the Steelers. The man knows football and knows defense. Going to the Steeler's for a coach has worked out well before, and he would be another possible heir-apparent head coach that would play football the "Iowa" way.

4. Pete Kwiatkowski (BSU Defensive Coordinator)
Boise State plays shutdown defense. Got to think this guy would jump at the opportunity to coach at a Big Ten school.

Thoughts?

I will be absolutely shocked if it is anyone other than a current Hawkeye assistant. Coach is very loyal and whenever Norm hangs it up...you will see what you are seeing today.

Iahawk. Agreed, and that is why I listed Phil first. He has been here the longest, and just seems to be the most natural fit.

Phil Parker is the only choice on the staff.

Ron Aiken would be at least as good a pick, if not a better choice. And that isn't a slam against Phil, either.

It's either going to be an assistant currently on staff, or a former assistant like Aiken or Mac.

it will be a coach that iowa has now or a former coach or player coach. (some1 with ties to iowa and knows how to play iowa defense)

Phil Parker or Darrell Wilson are the frontrunners, with Ron Aiken as a longshot. I seriously doubt that it's anyone else.

Norm won't retire and coach has already said that there trying to get him well for the long haul.No reason to look for a replacement he'll be here until he dies.It's always nice when a coach is needed and it's even better when the players want you back.

Why do people like to glorify Dan McClowney as our future DC? You see it time and time again in threads - very dismissive of the guys we currently have or have been on our staff.

Why do people like to glorify Dan McClowney as our future DC? You see it time and time again in threads - very dismissive of the guys we currently have or have been on our staff.

Glorify? He is a very good DC, not in need of glorifying. That said, I hardly think he's the likely successor. Would he make for an excellent DC? I believe so. But so would Phil Parker, Wilson, or Aiken. There are several very good choices, including Mac. But people are hardly dismissing the coaches already on staff.

No need to list #2-4. The next DC *WILL* be someone who has coached defense at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz, period. If KF is anything, he is loyal and conservative. He will keep it within "the family" and go with what he knows. He will not take a flyer on the hottest flavor of the month, no matter what their credentials.

McCarney is already the Assistant Head Coach at Florida, arguable the top program in the country. He will only leave that post for another shot at head coaching. I highly doubt KF would offer him the DC spot anyway.

KF is loyal, but he is also smart. If McCarney had an interest, he would take him in a heartbeat.

Not true...Dan has said many times that he'd like to be a head coach again...Kirk's not going to take someone who might be here for 2 years. He likes "continuity" and hell, Dan's already up for the Minnesota job on this site!

KF may like continuity, but no matter who replaces NP they will be highly sought after for head coaching jobs if they have success here. No one we want in that position (other than Norm) will want to be in that position for over 10 years.

KF may like continuity, but no matter who replaces NP they will be highly sought after for head coaching jobs if they have success here. No one we want in that position (other than Norm) will want to be in that position for over 10 years.

That's why he'll keep it "in house"...they've all been here for 10 years already and seem to like it that way.

Edit: As has been said before, he's not going to go after the "flavor of the month" if he needs to replace Norm.

That's why he'll keep it "in house"...they've all been here for 10 years already and seem to like it that way.

Edit: As has been said before, he's not going to go after the "flavor of the month" if he needs to replace Norm.

Phil Parker is the guy. Like it or not. I'd MUCH rather have someone already a part of the defense.

I hear what you are saying, but why would a great DC not want a shot at a head coaching position of their own. I know why Norm was content with his role, but do you really think someone who we hope will be every bit as good as Norm will be content staying the DC for 10+ years in hopes of getting the HC position when KF retires. I don't see that happening. Our next DC will want a shot at a head coaching position if they are successful.

Unless you are arguing KF will hire someone who no one else will want at a HC (KOK for example.)

Being a coordinator is a pretty good gig. You have tons of control, but don't deal with all the pressures of being the "head" coach. Plus, with Kirk at the helm, you know what he expects.

I hear what you are saying, but why would a great DC not want a shot at a head coaching position of their own. I know why Norm was content with his role, but do you really think someone who we hope will be every bit as good as Norm will be content staying the DC for 10+ years in hopes of getting the HC position when KF retires. I don't see that happening. Our next DC will want a shot at a head coaching position if they are successful.

Unless you are arguing KF will hire someone who no one else will want at a HC (KOK for example.)

Not everyone wants to be a head coach...some people are content with doing what they do best and don't need to be the alpha male. It's like this, you're asking why a DC wouldn't want to be a head coach? Why didn't Phil Parker ever leave to be a DC? He likes what he's doing and who he's working with and if he's offered IOWA'S defensive coordinator job, he'll more than likely take it.

Latest posts