Noah Fant

If Noah takes a nice forward step in his blocking and does nothing extra on the offense this year vs last year, except stop with those annoying drops he has once-in-awhile, he will be a first round pick.

He certainly has the athletic ability to be a very good blocker.
I had no idea that Coach Ferentz posted on this forum. Welcome.

If Noah takes a nice forward step in his blocking and does nothing extra on the offense this year vs last year, except stop with those annoying drops he has once-in-awhile, he will be a first round pick.
Size and measureables in the underwear Olympics get you a first round pick. He has better numbers than any TE out there. They'll look past the drops.

If he puts on another 10-12 lbs which is easily possible, he's the same height/weight as Gronk and Jason Witten, and bigger than Dallas Clark/Tony Gonzalez. You can't teach size and those guys don't come around often. He'll be an instant player somewhere like Kittle.

If that happens, Hockenson will have 10 touchdowns this year. We have two known play making TEs this year and a lot of talent/potential behind them. If Smith-Marsette and Smith get going on the outside, we could have 4 receiving options on the field that require double coverage out of running formations.
I'm going on record as saying that 2 TE sets are the only way this offense can survive this year. Only way.

I bet B Ferentz is having a lot of fun with the playbook this offseason.
I'd love it if that were true, but we all know this is what's going to happen...

1D, smallest RB through the 1 hole
2D, smallest RB through the 2 hole
3D, 3 YD out route on 3&7
4D, 27 YD punt from IOWA 13

I'm going on record as saying that 2 TE sets are the only way this offense can survive this year. Only way.

I'd love it if that were true, but we all know this is what's going to happen...

I love your "optimism"/not and hope it was tongue in cheek.:) It is nice when the emogis are your school colors

Not sure I agree with Kipers prediction that Fant's numbers will go up in 2018. If I'm an opposing defensive coordinator, I would do whatever i had to to take Fant away and force someone else to beat me.
He will get attention no doubt. Boston College was keying on him and that still didn't stop BF from calling a beautifully designed play and getting him in the end zone anyway. Time for Brian to loosen it up. Several returning offensive players are wiser with the experience and the running backs may need help shouldering the load early.

In regards to being a downfield receiving threat, Fant is probably the best TE prospect in the country. He has excellent straight-line speed for such a big guy and it takes defenses by surprise because it's something they probably can't understand until they see it. Defenders think they should be able to run with him until they realize they can't. Iowa does actually try to line him up in different spots and do some different things with him from time to time. It's not as if they line him up next to the tackles 100% of the time and ask him to do the same thing over and over again. It would be nice for them to put a TE screen in the playbook though.

I think I saw two TE-counter plays last year and I can't remember ever seeing those anywhere before. Granted I think both were 1 yard losses but they were interesting calls

That fourth down is too real. For the love of god I don’t understand how Ferentz thinks he can run the kind of offense he does without a punter.

I don't care what sets we use. the only way this offense is successful is if we run the offense through Stanley. Throw the damn ball. That will set up the run. Need big chunk run plays.

I don't care what sets we use. the only way this offense is successful is if we run the offense through Stanley. Throw the damn ball. That will set up the run. Need big chunk run plays.
No kidding, same situation as 2015. A lot of games are going to fall on our QB in the fourth quarter unless Brian calls games like he’s up against Ohio State every week. We can either open up and throw the ball early and often without reserve, or play the slow plodding “don’t screw it up” style we so often do and lose 3-4 close games and a blow-out or two. I’d much rather lose a game or two because of mistakes than lose 4-5 because we didn’t even try. I think we’ll find ourselves somewhere between the two extremes, I just don’t understand why they don’t game plan every week like they’re up against a top 10 opponent. It seems to work pretty well.

Last edited:
No kidding, same situation as 2015. A lot of games are going to fall on our QB in the fourth quarter unless Brian calls games like he’s up against Ohio State every week. We can either open up and throw the ball early and often without reserve, or play the slow plodding “don’t screw it up” style we so often do and lose 3-4 close games and a blow-out or two. I’d much rather lose a game or two because of mistakes than lose 4-5 because we didn’t even try. I think we’ll find ourselves somewhere between the two extremes, I just don’t understand why they don’t game plan every week like they’re up against a top 10 opponent. It seems to work pretty well.

How did the game plan work against Penn S or Wisconsin?t

the word "Bingo" comes to mind.

How did the game plan work against Penn S or Wisconsin?t
As I recall, we nearly beat PSU. Not a great game for the offense statistically, but it nearly worked. In the Wisconsin game we got totally outplayed, there is going to be some duzzies. That said, they didn’t run a “top 10” game plan against Wisconsin. They came off the OSU game and reverted right back to the flat conservative play that Kirk is known for. Kirk said, “Hey, if we win one of these two the fans will get off our backs” and they did just that. You made my point without realizing it - we cannot run that game plan consistently and expect anything more than 6 win seasons. The only reason Ferentz usually wins more than that is that is that they have a game or two a year that actually play to win, rather than not lose, and it works more often than not when they do.