No poll movement?

The efficiency thing is what drives me the most nuts. I think it should just be thrown out. Some teams win by lighting up the scoreboard, other teams win by playing tough defense. Who really cares in the end? A win should be a win.

It was only a matter of time before the pro-RPI guys came back out! (BTW, Iowa is #28 in NET, and #28 in RPI, which doesn't use efficiency.)

I think Iowa States depth of only playing 7 will catch up with them going thru the conference tourney then the NCAA.

Hawk fans have been saying this since Fred came on board. ISU has won 3 conference tourneys and made two Sweet 16's in that time. Depth is utterly overrated in CBB.

It was only a matter of time before the pro-RPI guys came back out! (BTW, Iowa is #28 in NET, and #28 in RPI, which doesn't use efficiency.)

My comments have zero to do with Iowa's rankings, but nice assumption there chief.

Hawk fans have been saying this since Fred came on board. ISU has won 3 conference tourneys and made two Sweet 16's in that time. Depth is utterly overrated in CBB.

I remember the UAB game where zero depth crushed the Cyclones. Niang, Hogue and Naz all got 2 early fouls. Niang and Hogue I believe sat out the rest of the half and Naz played timid with 2 fouls.

quickly into the second half Naz got his 3rd foul and sat a large chunk then as well.

Depth isn't overrated....you literally lost to a 14 seed because you had zero depth.

I remember the UAB game where zero depth crushed the Cyclones. Niang, Hogue and Naz all got 2 early fouls. Niang and Hogue I believe sat out the rest of the half and Naz played timid with 2 fouls.

quickly into the second half Naz got his 3rd foul and sat a large chunk then as well.

Depth isn't overrated....you literally lost to a 14 seed because you had zero depth.

ISU also won the Big 12 tourney the week before that with zero depth. So the zero depth didn't hurt then, but did hurt in a game where they were completely rested? Okay.

And that team actually had more depth than usual - the only reason they didn't play BDJ, a future NBA player, is because they had a team chemistry meltdown in the game and locker room at halftime.

ISU also won the Big 12 tourney the week before that with zero depth. So the zero depth didn't hurt then, but did hurt in a game where they were completely rested? Okay.

And that team actually had more depth than usual - the only reason they didn't play BDJ, a future NBA player, is because they had a team chemistry meltdown in the game and locker room at halftime.

Sure if you have a night where none of your players ever sniff foul trouble, you can easily play with 7 guys. When you avoid injuries all season you can easily play with 7 guys.

But...that one game where a guy twists an ankle or your starters hit foul trouble...like the UAB game...depth certainly isn't overrated at all. In fact it ended your season to a 14 seed.

Or that one game where your star player isn't playing because he got drunk and shot to death breaking into the wrong apartment to domestically abuse his ex girlfriend...depth certainly isn't overrated there either

Michigan made it to the Championship by playing a very fortunate bracket. They were not much better than Iowa.
See this is exactly what I'm talking about this whole thread...

"...not much better than Iowa."
Based on what, your own gut feeling? What do you back that up with?

This is the reason that selection via committee sucks. Its nothing more than a bunch of people making unfounded opinionated decisions. Guess what, you say Michigan wasn't much better than Iowa and that they benefited from a weak bracket. Michigan fans would say the bracket was really tough and that their team is better than Iowa. And everyone else would land somehwere in between.

It's just ridiculous.

Sure if you have a night where none of your players ever sniff foul trouble, you can easily play with 7 guys. When you avoid injuries all season you can easily play with 7 guys.

But...that one game where a guy twists an ankle or your starters hit foul trouble...like the UAB game...depth certainly isn't overrated at all. In fact it ended your season to a 14 seed.

Upsets happen. Off games happen regardless of your depth. Virginia had depth last season but still was the first #1 to lose. I just think it's totally overrated. The least of my concerns is the depth of the team. If you have foul trouble from your top players, you're probably going to be in big trouble because the difference between George Niang and the person behind them is likely to be huge.

Which is why there shouldn't even be a selection committee.

For selection it should be automatic bids first followed by going down the NET rankings until the bracket is full. Seeding should be 1-64 according to NET ranking.

No humans allowed.

Hopefully after a couple years of tweaking the formula, they go that route.

I don't know about you guys, but I still experience poll movement pretty much every day, usually in the very early morning. Not sure why the Hawks can't get any.
You ever considered going back to Dr Ruth?

Whatever that fuckin thing is freaks me out a little more everyday. One of these times I'm gonna change mine to Dane Cook and reply to every single one of your posts so you have to look at it.

Upsets happen. Off games happen regardless of your depth. Virginia had depth last season but still was the first #1 to lose. I just think it's totally overrated. The least of my concerns is the depth of the team. If you have foul trouble from your top players, you're probably going to be in big trouble because the difference between George Niang and the person behind them is likely to be huge.

Don't get me wrong, i agree with some of what you say. There are so many timeouts, tv timeouts, free throws, and halftime where your studs should be playing 30+ minutes a night. But where depth matters is when you need it the most....injuries, foul trouble, and off nights.

Pemsl vs Iowa State this year is a classic example. Ruevers for wisconsin vs illinois last night another example. Cook missed 2 road big ten games this year and Iowa won them both thanks to its depth.

This guy aint wrong tho.

With respect to Louisville he is wrong that wouldn't be! You think if Iowa hosted Duke they could hang within 2 of them? :cool: Louisville has also beat MSU (who we have 2 losses against) and won at North Carolina. So for him to say Iowa should easily be ahead of Louisville is well IMO Stupid..

Loyola-Ill, Texas Tech, FSU and KSU... had to look that up... no.... this round of 8 jibberish not true. Michigan made it to the Championship by playing a very fortunate bracket. They were not much better than Iowa.

Don't forget Michigan needed this shot just to beat Houston in last years tourney and get out of the 2nd round.

With respect to Louisville he is wrong that wouldn't be! You think if Iowa hosted Duke they could hang within 2 of them? :cool: Louisville has also beat MSU (who we have 2 losses against) and won at North Carolina. So for him to say Iowa should easily be ahead of Louisville is well IMO Stupid..

But Louisville has also lost to Indiana and Pitt. You can make a case Iowa should be ranked ahead of them and, perhaps, ISU since Iowa won head to head but it's not over the top miss by the voters.

I think Iowa is ranked pretty much where they should be.

Don't forget Michigan needed this shot just to beat Houston in last years tourney and get out of the 2nd round.

Few teams will be a championship, or reach a championship game, without at least one close call/lucky escape. The examples are too numerous to mention but I will present Christian Laettner and Illinois 2005 comeback against Lute and Arizona as two examples.

Right up until someone gets hurt or in foul trouble. Or in Iowa’s case where 9 guys can score in double figures and all 5 starters can go for 20 plus...means 2 to 4 guys can have an off night and still win win handily.