No CJ no Pimsel tonight this could be a disaster

Never thought of this but yeah their careers are remarkably similar.

Interesting that Lute has been at Iowa multiple times post retirement and always has great things to say. I believe he once called it a special place. Wish he would have stayed. I never got to see one of his Iowa teams.
Boeheim deserves props for making himself readily available for interviews when all the coaches gather for final four week and will even mingle in the lobby with the fans on occasion.

Most coaches don't even enter through the lobby and will soend most of the weekend hanging out in the "sneaker suites" where NIke or Adidas or whoever sponsors them will take good care of them for a few days.

Another thing that makes Boeheim unusual amongst big time coaches is the fact that he loves to watch basketball for recreation. He will watch late West coast games on tv until the wee hours of the morning.

Connor sure is impressing me lately. He's so strong it helps his game with rebounding and fighting into the lane for a short shot that he's been hitting as of late. He's just an all around baller.

It feels like we are a substantially worse team when he's on the bench. He just runs the show. He has a lot of flaws, but he's a baller and IMO a leader for this team. I hope he can continue to play like this.

At a certain point you just need to accumulate wins. I’ll take any true road win in college basketball.

I agree, and a loss to Syracuse could end up really hurting as a bad loss. I just meant this isn't going to be some quality win come NCAA Tournament time.

I agree, and a loss to Syracuse could end up really hurting as a bad loss. I just meant this isn't going to be some quality win come NCAA Tournament time.

Correct, Cuse might be one of the worst P5 teams I've watched in recent memory.....but what is exciting for me is - Iowa was down 1 starter and 1 contributor - plus down Nunge and then went on the road and dominated ....and I mean dominated a p5 team. Iowa struggles to win at Penn State and Rutgers, 2 historically bad programs in the conference even when they have good teams. Cuse might suck but I am starting to think Iowa might be much better than we've gave them credit for all off season.

Correct, Cuse might be one of the worst P5 teams I've watched in recent memory.....but what is exciting for me is - Iowa was down 1 starter and 1 contributor - plus down Nunge and then went on the road and dominated ....and I mean dominated a p5 team. Iowa struggles to win at Penn State and Rutgers, 2 historically bad programs in the conference even when they have good teams. Cuse might suck but I am starting to think Iowa might be much better than we've gave them credit for all off season.

Good point. Good teams lose on the road to bad teams all the time. Between travel and injuries, the deck couldn't have been more stacked against us to lose to a bad team. We shut them down instead. People have been wondering if we fan even win with Connor on the floor. In the next few years, we might be winning because of him, not in spite of him. Or he's just on a roll right now and is gunna tank soon, who knows just yet. But it looks promising.

Don't include me in that "we" :)

Or me. I was of the strong opinion that CJ was going to he an upgrade over Moss and we would be an all around better team because the offense would run through more efficient scorers. I think the first one is for sure true. Before all these injuries I think the second one would be true too. It still might be.

Good point. Good teams lose on the road to bad teams all the time. Between travel and injuries, the deck couldn't have been more stacked against us to lose to a bad team. We shut them down instead. People have been wondering if we fan even win with Connor on the floor. In the next few years, we might be winning because of him, not in spite of him. Or he's just on a roll right now and is gunna tank soon, who knows just yet. But it looks promising.

Connor gets a bad rap on here. I saw earlier he is far and away the Assist/TO ratio leader in the B1G. He plays physical, he plays smart. He doesn’t need to even score to bring value to this team (which is good because this is where he struggles).

Connor gets a bad rap on here. I saw earlier he is far and away the Assist/TO ratio leader in the B1G. He plays physical, he plays smart. He doesn’t need to even score to bring value to this team (which is good because this is where he struggles).
He does struggle scoring. But he also has a knack for making big shots when we need them.

I have to give props to Connor for sure. The Nunge injury has moved us to a smaller lineup, where Connor can defend threes and fours more often. That’s where he’s better suited, which is what I had already been saying. Last night early in the game when Kriener was in with Garza you saw a guard on Cuse go right by Connor for an easy two. Again that’s just not his forte.

But for the most part he’s been defending threes and fours recently, using his physicality. I actually like that he takes some fouls too. We talk about position-less basketball often so on the offensive end it doesn’t matter whether Jbo, Connor, CJF, or Joe T brings it up, all the guys can initiate offense.

Connor’s value to this team right now is without question, we need him. My one area of pause is that last year he did very well in the non conference, and then faded in B1G play, let’s hope that’s not the case this time around. I have reason to believe it won’t be because his role right now is different. He’s out there right now to defend threes and fours, and set up teammates on offense, both things he’s capable of doing. We have more ball handlers and passing options on this years team, which takes some of the pressure off Connor in that regard.

This was a game where it meant more to not lose it as opposed to winning it. Losing would have been terrible. Winning and dominating the 2nd half was nice. If we'd have gotten off to a better start. Just playing cleaner with fewer TOs and hitting some of the open shots we missed it could have been a runaway 30 pt win easy. But with the injuries and short bench I'll take this game as a good win and let's just get em home and regroup and get healthier

I have to give props to Connor for sure. The Nunge injury has moved us to a smaller lineup, where Connor can defend threes and fours more often. That’s where he’s better suited, which is what I had already been saying. Last night early in the game when Kriener was in with Garza you saw a guard on Cuse go right by Connor for an easy two. Again that’s just not his forte.

But for the most part he’s been defending threes and fours recently, using his physicality. I actually like that he takes some fouls too. We talk about position-less basketball often so on the offensive end it doesn’t matter whether Jbo, Connor, CJF, or Joe T brings it up, all the guys can initiate offense.

Connor’s value to this team right now is without question, we need him. My one area of pause is that last year he did very well in the non conference, and then faded in B1G play, let’s hope that’s not the case this time around. I have reason to believe it won’t be because his role right now is different. He’s out there right now to defend threes and fours, and set up teammates on offense, both things he’s capable of doing. We have more ball handlers and passing options on this years team, which takes some of the pressure off Connor in that regard.

I thought Connor had a pretty good and solid game. Nice having his versatility.

Latest posts