No Better Seats for Students

With the courtside seats apparently being nice and cushy now, it also doesn't sound like the students will be alongside the court in the foreseeable future.. Probably never.

Last edited:
That really annoys me. They could have figured out a way to make several sections on one side student seats. Did everyone in that lower level give that amount of money they mention?

This was the chance to change it, reward people that paid, and still do it right. As of now, I am thinking they did everything I mentioned EXCEPT get it right. The funny thing is that based upon Jennings comments he seems to imply they couldn't reward the big donors AND make it better for the students. I would question that.

They are really big on committees and inclusiveness in decisions in Iowa City. Despite how people rail on them, if done correctly they can help to find all kinds of options that a smaller sect could then choose from to come up with a final solution. I am betting there was none of that in this instance. Too bad they blew it.

Great. So Grandma Hawkeye Fan will now be able to do her knitting in comfort on the new, padded, theater-style seats. Sweet!

Eh, what do I care? By the time Carver is full again, I'll have graduated. I pretty much get my pick of the seats as a student, save for courtside.

Good grief. It seems most other major colleges "get it" with regards to the students at BB games....but oh no...not Iowa.

Also.....charging the seat extortion fee is monumentally stupid. They can't get people to buy season tickets as it is....now they want people to pay MORE??

Idiots. I'd like to hear just ONE of the people involved in making this decision attempt to defend it.

83-

Most of the people who are potential season ticket holders are already football season ticket holders and, therefore, do not have to pay any additional "seat extortion fee" per seat at Carver-Hawkeye.

Go Hawks!

This is the same student re-seating plan that was announced last year. The students are around more of the court than they were in the past.

You dopes act like there was no change and/or that the decision not to have the students surround the entire court was news.

It isn't.

This is the same student re-seating plan that was announced last year. The students are around more of the court than they were in the past.

You dopes act like there was no change and/or that the decision not to have the students surround the entire court was news.

It isn't.
I thought this was old news...

I haven't been to a home basketball game bince early ought nine, but at that time, there were all of maybe 200 students there. That would be pretty intimidating having a whole row of students that wrapped almost all the way around the court. How 'bout this, when the slack jawed students start going to the games, they can have some say in the seating plans? But as a guy whose buddy has front row seats right behind the Hawks bench that I can get for almost any game, let me just go on the record as saying that any plan to ring the students the whole way around the court is idiotic.

Even in the early Alford years the students were pretty lame. I should know, I was one of them :eek:

ok4p, H8IAST8-

I agree. Until the students start showing up in droves and fill their section on a consistent basis, I am fine with them not having premium seating behind the benches.

Go Hawks!

83-

Most of the people who are potential season ticket holders are already football season ticket holders and, therefore, do not have to pay any additional "seat extortion fee" per seat at Carver-Hawkeye.

Go Hawks!

Not quite. Right now I pay $50 per seat for my football tickets. If I get season BB tickets again next year I would have to pay a minimum of $150 per seat more.

Or I could always choose to have crappier seats.

The point is.....fans are not coming to games.....why make it more expensive??? How about getting Carver full again.....THEN charge the seat fee.

Common sense.

83-

Pay more for what? I am not sure what you are saying. The University has made it clear that if you contribute $200 ($100 per seat), that $200 donation carries over to basketball so that you do not have to donate an additional $200. Likewise, they have said that several sections in CHA will require no donation.

Go Hawks!

Nowhere in that article does it says anything about the students being behind a wall.

I do wish the university would update the photo gallery for the work being done at CHA.

I haven't been to a home basketball game bince early ought nine, but at that time, there were all of maybe 200 students there. That would be pretty intimidating having a whole row of students that wrapped almost all the way around the court. How 'bout this, when the slack jawed students start going to the games, they can have some say in the seating plans? But as a guy whose buddy has front row seats right behind the Hawks bench that I can get for almost any game, let me just go on the record as saying that any plan to ring the students the whole way around the court is idiotic.

Signed,

Michigan State
Duke
Illinois
Michigan

Just off the top of my head.

Latest posts