No Better Seats for Students

Until the Students show in numbers they will not be considered for ringing the lower rows of the arena.

You have to reward those who pay for the renovations.

Until the Students show in numbers they will not be considered for ringing the lower rows of the arena.

You have to reward those who pay for the renovations.

you can do both...I'd imagine the amount of people that ponied up $25K to this renovation could easily fit base line to base line on one side under the gold bars...stick the students on the rest of the area and up make it General Admission and fill in with off the street tickets if the students can't fill it up. Carver will never be a home court advantage with the donors 'who deserve the best seats' occupying them.

90% of the successful hoops programs in the nation get you need to have a 'home court advantage'.

Nowhere in that article does it says anything about the students being behind a wall.

I do wish the university would update the photo gallery for the work being done at CHA.

"There also will be a wall at the top of the student section to make it stand out."

Not that the students will be behind a wall. Just that there will be a wall behind the student section. Just thought it was weird. Almost like they thought it would somehow make sitting behind the basket more desirable. I mean what kind of wall are they talking about? Are they really putting a wall there just for aesthetics? Or does it serve some other purpose? If it is just to make it "stand out," who sold them on that idea? If it serves some other purpose, then why make it seem like it is there to make the student section "stand out?"

"There also will be a wall at the top of the student section to make it stand out."

Not that the students will be behind a wall. Just that there will be a wall behind the student section. Just thought it was weird. Almost like they thought it would somehow make sitting behind the basket more desirable. I mean what kind of wall are they talking about? Are they really putting a wall there just for aesthetics? Or does it serve some other purpose? If it is just to make it "stand out," who sold them on that idea? If it serves some other purpose, then why make it seem like it is there to make the student section "stand out?"

Since the student section will be standing all game its likely just a way to block off any seating behind the students.

Okay. I do know schools that do that. In fact I actually have suggested that they put standing risers in for students instead of seats. You could get more people in and actually get them closer to the court and limit the obstruction from the basket. Usually the reason schools do this is to allow seating behind the student section where the people are not obstructed by the students standing. Still the reason is more about standing up instead of standing out.

83-

Pay more for what? I am not sure what you are saying. The University has made it clear that if you contribute $200 ($100 per seat), that $200 donation carries over to basketball so that you do not have to donate an additional $200. Likewise, they have said that several sections in CHA will require no donation.

Go Hawks!

The minimum seat contribution for football games is $50....for basketball it will be $200. If I purchase a season BB ticket next season (in addition to my football season ticket), I will have to pay an additional $150 per seat ($200 minus the $50 I pay for football). *THat* is what I'll be paying more for.

But...like you said...I could always get one of the "non-fee" seats (which are not as good).

My point remains.....fans are not coming to Carver right now. Why charge people more (the seat fee)? Why not wait until fans start showing up again and season ticket sales get back up? THEN start charging the seat fee. What they will be doing makes no sense.

Okay. I do know schools that do that. In fact I actually have suggested that they put standing risers in for students instead of seats. You could get more people in and actually get them closer to the court and limit the obstruction from the basket. Usually the reason schools do this is to allow seating behind the student section where the people are not obstructed by the students standing. Still the reason is more about standing up instead of standing out.

I've been wanting this as well.

If the students want better seats they need to start showing up to games on a regular basis. Having the students in the first few rows around the arena would do nothing more than to ensure an even more empty looking Carver. This reminds me of the guy who compains about the countrys direction but dosn't bother to vote.

Last edited:
Nowhere in that article does it says anything about the students being behind a wall.

I do wish the university would update the photo gallery for the work being done at CHA.

They won't be behind a wall (impossible to watch the game that way) but they will have a wall like the OP said:

The Hawks Nest is bigger than ever and slightly closer to the opposing bench. There also will be a wall at the top of the student section to make it stand out.

83-

Several sections of both endzones at Kinnick do not require seat contributions. They have to raise the money in order to build the facilities to bring the recruits to improve the program.

I have no problem with the seating arrangements, as the Athletic Department has to generate revenue to continue to be self-sustaining.

Go Hawks!

83-

Several sections of both endzones at Kinnick do not require seat contributions. They have to raise the money in order to build the facilities to bring the recruits to improve the program.

I have no problem with the seating arrangements, as the Athletic Department has to generate revenue to continue to be self-sustaining.

Go Hawks!

HWK4LYF....

I realize there are seats in Kinnick that do not require seat contributions. That is not my point. My dissatisfaction is the fact that seat contributions are going to be required for most seats in Carver next season. Again.....fans are not showing up to Hawkeye men's basketball games. Carver has been 1/2 full (at best). Season ticket sales have plummeted. Now is NOT the time to be charging people more to buy a season ticket! You don't increase costs when demand is low and the product is bad!

A smart Marketing Dept. would find ways to get fans BACK into Carver and get season ticket sales back up. Once the fans are back....THEN you start charging the seat fees.

They are not going to generate revenue and be self-sustaining unless they get more season ticket holders (and fans in general) back to Carver.

HWK4LYF....

I realize there are seats in Kinnick that do not require seat contributions. That is not my point. My dissatisfaction is the fact that seat contributions are going to be required for most seats in Carver next season. Again.....fans are not showing up to Hawkeye men's basketball games. Carver has been 1/2 full (at best). Season ticket sales have plummeted. Now is NOT the time to be charging people more to buy a season ticket! You don't increase costs when demand is low and the product is bad!

A smart Marketing Dept. would find ways to get fans BACK into Carver and get season ticket sales back up. Once the fans are back....THEN you start charging the seat fees.

They are not going to generate revenue and be self-sustaining unless they get more season ticket holders (and fans in general) back to Carver.

Marketing department doesn't exist at Iowa.....

Listening to Fran and Barta speak at the I-Club lunch on Tuesday he was urging everyone there to be part of the fun now. Don't wait for the team to get better to come back to Carver. They need your support now because when Carver is packed it is a tough place to play.

I still think they should have cut season ticket prices this year in an effort to get fans back to Carver.

that would be awesome to give the student a ring around the court when only a couple hundred show up. that would look great on TV.

If barta had been smart, he would have cut season ticket prices in half and forgotten about the seat fee until he had people hooked on attending games at Carver again. Instead, he has done the opposite of that.

I think Penn State's student section is courtside and they get about the same amount of students per game as us. In the games I have seen there it looks terrible. I agree with not rewarding the fans until they starting showing up.

Just for the record, I would have liked to see the section right behind the opposing teams bench filled with students. They probably could have accomplished this by extending the donor seating one extra row around the court and eliminating their seats behind the opposing bench.

The other option would have been to take both sections behind the baskets and made two students sections. Then they could get into some fun banter back and forth while still getting in the heads of the FT shooters. The donors don't want those seats anyway so it's a little confusing.

The other option would have been to take both sections behind the baskets and made two students sections. Then they could get into some fun banter back and forth while still getting in the heads of the FT shooters. The donors don't want those seats anyway so it's a little confusing.

===================================
+1 This is the way to go.. give those with a student ID free admission to student seating with first come first served seating behind the hoops. So they can be loud and have fun, isn't this what it should really be about anyways? For the students?

Marketing department doesn't exist at Iowa.....

Listening to Fran and Barta speak at the I-Club lunch on Tuesday he was urging everyone there to be part of the fun now. Don't wait for the team to get better to come back to Carver. They need your support now because when Carver is packed it is a tough place to play.

I still think they should have cut season ticket prices this year in an effort to get fans back to Carver.

This is why I purchased a BB season ticket for the first time ever this season. I think Fran is going to make Iowa BB relevent again, and I want to be there for the start of it.

Not sure if I'll buy tickets once the seat fee starts...but I'll at least be there every game for one season (instead of just a couple of games). I don't care if I do have to drive from Des Moines in a snowstorm!

It broke my heart last year to see Illinois with a louder student section than our own when they played at Carver last year. We could all go on about how the students haven't supported the program the last few years. But they frankly haven't had much to support and attending the games for many students involved a time and financial commitment that didn't seem worth it. I think the students will become energized again as this basketball program moves forward. But you can pretty much bet that no matter how much student attendance picks up as we start to win again and the style of play catches on the student seating arrangement will never change. And it stinks because they have other options and others in the thread have made some good suggestions. I've given up on the University making any real effort to make our students feel like part of our athletic programs. And we will pay some day down the road when these students become potential donors.

Latest posts