Nice win

I didn't like those high looping passes we used all night. Several went badly. They need to learn Mr. Davis's bounce pass with english on it, starts outside and bounces in.
Miles switched to a 1-3-1 in late 2nd half.
It forces a two guard front to play catch a little bit.
Ball fakes and diagonal passing inside out break it down.
Leaving JBO open on wings ended up being a feast for the Hawks despite the lazy turnovers.

Our D had something to do with their poor shooting from beyond the arc.....

The half-court trap, especially in the first half took a lot of time off the shot clock and we harassed them on the perimeter well this game.....

Hope we can continue to do so the rest of the season

They did score too many inside with second chance shots

:cool:

It was effective but they didn't really run a hard core trap out of it. There were a couple times the ball went deep into the corner and I was yelling for a trap but they never really did it. Baer would close in a little bit but still cover a bit of the middle. It was a soft 1-3-1. I like when they run it.

Good win tonight, and a fun game to watch. Night and day from what happened at Purdue. To me Nebraska looks like a better team than Purdue does, Purdue just happens to have the best player in the B1G.

What is impressive about Purdue is that they run a system, a true motion offense, etc.. The coaches have a game plan, put the players in the best position to succeed and the players execute it. This is why they are good.

Yeah I looked at Massey, Iowa is projected at 8-12 in conference. No team has ever made the tournament at more than 2 games under .500 in conference, so I think Iowa needs to get to 9-11.

They never used to have 20 conference games either. I think Iowa would be on the bubble needing a win or 2 in the BTT to get in. The Big Ten is up this year so we may see a few teams under .500 get in.

He's been quietly putting up better stat lines since Iowa State. He's got enough experience now that he should be doing it on a more consistent basis.
Isaiah’s game continues to mature and it’s fun to watch. Letting the game come to him, and not forcing things.

Great floor game again last night, and he was in late which equals passing the FM trust test.

We did get a little lucky with their bad shooting, but we were also a little unlucky having one of our top 3 players injured. Any win we can get while Garza isnt 100% is a plus. We just aren't good enough to have a top player out.

Makes me think about the opposite though. You know how many games it seems the other team is just shooting lights out, well above their % or 3 pt %. Sometimes, just dumb Iowa luck. I'm talking horse game % that shouldn't be better even with Iowa's crappy defense. Iowa has had a lot of games like in the past, so having a game like Nebby's bad shooting just averages it out.

Honestly watching how effective that trapping zone was in the second half I was flabbergasted that Iowa hasn’t been running it all year. Totally threw Neb off their game. Great, needed win and a lot of guys (Moss, JBo) played great that haven’t had consistency this year. Happy for everybody.

It is their best defense and I think we will see it more. I hope we don't see it more just because Iowa is faultering in man defense, though. They run this the best and with Iowa's length it is effective. They weren't even really trapping with it against Nebby. Rather ran kind of a soft 1-3-1 and taking away passing lanes.

Isaiah’s game continues to mature and it’s fun to watch. Letting the game come to him, and not forcing things.

Great floor game again last night, and he was in late which equals passing the FM trust test.
What encouraged me about Moss was his hustle. A lot of the rebounds he got didn't just bounce to him it wasn't his 'lucky' night in that way. He went after it. He's such a fun yet frustrating player. When he's engaged and in the flow of the game he's practically unstoppable. Yet he can be invisible for long stretches. I want to put that on the coaches more so then him but both have to do their part

He should be in there late when were leading. He's an outstanding free throw shooter. Imagine the dilemma for opposing team when their choices of whom to foul are JBo, Moss, Garza, and Connor.

I still just have a hard time seeing them select a team with an 8-12 conference record. I know that isn't supposed to matter, and I've long said it doesn't matter, but that's way below .500.

There have been at least 2 teams that have reached the NCAA tournament being 4 games under .500 as an at large. One of them was your 91-92 Cyclones going 5-9 in conference play. The other one was 97-98 Florida State, they finished 6-10 in conference play. Those were with 14 and 16 conference game schedules, now that they have gone to 20 game conference schedules and 68 teams reaching the tournament you will see this happen more frequently.

I'm not saying Iowa will make it with a 8-12 conference record (19-12 overall) but I think they can get on the bubble and possibly get in with a couple of wins in the BTT tournament. But I look at the schedule and wonder how they will win 7 more games.

Last edited:
Hoping they can exceed the 8-12 record for the Big Ten. Can't have nights off this year. Hopefully we can steal a game that we shouldn't win. Having a big win could help come tournament time for committee. I think the ISU win will look good by the end of the year.

I'm cautiously optimistic with the amount of points being given up on defense. Garza getting to full health is a big deal for this team going forward.

Hoping they can exceed the 8-12 record for the Big Ten. Can't have nights off this year. Hopefully we can steal a game that we shouldn't win. Having a big win could help come tournament time for committee. I think the ISU win will look good by the end of the year.

I'm cautiously optimistic with the amount of points being given up on defense. Garza getting to full health is a big deal for this team going forward.

Agreed, we need to steal a win. NOt likely to be Mich, or sparty, so maybe Maryland is the best chance. Outside chances- Ohio St or Ind.

It was a nice win. It was a must win if we've ever had such a thing. Man it's fun watching Jbo out there shooting with confidence. Even when Nebraska started coming back I wasn't all that worried because Jbo was back to being himself and it felt like he was going to make any good look he got.
That said the must win games keep coming... Since it don't look like we are goin to steal many road wins this year we have to protect home court as much as ever and that won't be easy either. Maybe with JBo back to being himself and Kreiner playing more and with confidence it'll add to how we are a matchup nightmare for others. We put up 93 last night and felt like we coulda put up a lot more. (granted it became a free throw fest the last 2 mins) Point being if we don't turn it over a ton there's no reason our O can't keep up with most teams we play against home or away..
@lightning1 has brought something up in the past, which I had never thought of and may have applied to Bohannon. He has said that if you need to rest your legs for a possession, do it on offense.

By passing the ball back and forth over the front of that zone, that is what Bohannon, concsious of it or not, may have been doing. I know Bohannon likes to quick shoot in transition but he seemed to have his legs under him much more. Wiescamp can do this in the corner on occasion, too. Just a little subtle extra rest to get your legs back under you.

Danny Ainge was one of the best ever at doing this. When McHale and Parish kept offensive possessions alive and reset the shot clock Ainge would sometimes get as much as one minute of real time to "rest" and regain his legs.

@lightning1 has brought something up in the past, which I had never thought of and may have applied to Bohannon. He has said that if you need to rest your legs for a possession, do it on offense.

By passing the ball back and forth over the front of that zone, that is what Bohannon, concsious of it or not, may have been doing. I know Bohannon likes to quick shoot in transition but he seemed to have his legs under him much more. Wiescamp can do this in the corner on occasion, too. Just a little subtle extra rest to get your legs back under you.

Danny Ainge was one of the best ever at doing this. When McHale and Parish kept offensive possessions alive and reset the shot clock Ainge would sometimes get as much as one minute of real time to "rest" and regain his legs.
Sure you take some possessions where you have Moss run around off screens and others Joe W and others JBo mostly when CM is on the floor. He needs all the energy he can have for the defensive side too. JBo that 2nd half was how he was his first year just playing care free and looking for his shot. Beating the buzzer at the end of the half really did spark him. When he dribbles down on a fast break and then pauses briefly and goes left to right and then pulls up quick is deadly. I don't know about you guys but I want him taking 10 threes a game.

Good win. Gotta keep build on it though - and do it on the road the next game.

We know there are upsets and things don't always go as planned, but, to me, there are certain must wins on our schedule and certain impending loses [Mich, Mich St etc...]
NW has played well at times [a pair of 2 point losses to really good B1G teams] and not so well, a 2 point win over Ill. last gm. We are the better team on paper and even tho this gm is on the road, it, to me, is a must win. We simply can't afford to lose to lesser quality teams! If we do, it puts more pressure on us to steal more gms, if we want to finish high enough get NCAA attention.
Our 0-3 start, tho overcomeable, put us behind the 8 ball, taking away room for error [loses].
Also, the committee looks at how well a team finishes their schedule and our last two gms are on the road. Don't want to go into March losing 5 of 6 or something like that. Gotta beat NW Wed.!

We know there are upsets and things don't always go as planned, but, to me, there are certain must wins on our schedule and certain impending loses [Mich, Mich St etc...]
NW has played well at times [a pair of 2 point losses to really good B1G teams] and not so well, a 2 point win over Ill. last gm. We are the better team on paper and even tho this gm is on the road, it, to me, is a must win. We simply can't afford to lose to lesser quality teams! If we do, it puts more pressure on us to steal more gms, if we want to finish high enough get NCAA attention.
Our 0-3 start, tho overcomeable, put us behind the 8 ball, taking away room for error [loses].
Also, the committee looks at how well a team finishes their schedule and our last two gms are on the road. Don't want to go into March losing 5 of 6 or something like that. Gotta beat NW Wed.!

I agree. Even though it's on the road, @NW is one of those games we can really ill-afford to drop, especially given that there are many more difficult games on the schedule. If Iowa can't win this game, how many others are realistically winnable?

The NCAA committee likes teams that can win on the road.. This will be one we need to get.

It was effective but they didn't really run a hard core trap out of it. There were a couple times the ball went deep into the corner and I was yelling for a trap but they never really did it. Baer would close in a little bit but still cover a bit of the middle. It was a soft 1-3-1. I like when they run it.

Definitely soft, not a solid trap, but it did take valuable time off the clock......

:cool:

beating a ranked team is always good . . . but god, let's get the passing game figured out . . . I hope the way we were draining 3s carry's over for the rest of the season . . . at this point I'm thinking that's how we get into the dance

wile-e-coyote.png

Latest posts