Nice win

Honestly watching how effective that trapping zone was in the second half I was flabbergasted that Iowa hasn’t been running it all year. Totally threw Neb off their game. Great, needed win and a lot of guys (Moss, JBo) played great that haven’t had consistency this year. Happy for everybody.
Having our big guards doing the trapping is so much better than running our Bigs out there picking up stupid fouls, Moss, Baer, Jo, Dailey, and Conner all go 6'5. Trapping is something I've been wanting to see from these guys for a while now, especially in the half court. I thought their switching was the best of the season tonight.

@NW
OSU
@PSU
ILL

Getting all of the next 4 would be nice, but getting 3 of 4 is very doable. 2 weeks from now we may be looking at this season completely different.

3 of 4 is doable indeed, I'd worry about the Buckeyes. 4 & 4 record [at least] after 8 gms is essential, as the schedule gets tough again after that and losses are coming. Winning 3 of the next 4 is paramount. We can't afford to drop probable wins to lesser teams! Here's why:

Next 4 after Ill:
1/24= Mich. St.
1/27= @ Minn.
2/1= Mich.
2/7= @ Ind.

@ Minn. is a must win, as it's likely we will lose the other 3.
That leaves us at 5-8 if things go like that.
That leaves the last 8 gms which feature away gms at Ohio St, Neb. and Wisc. and home gms with Maryland and Indiana, none of which are EZ gms.

Remaining gms are 2 w/ Rutgers and a home gm w/ NW, all winable.
ON PAPER, that leaves us 8-12

The win at Neb is a quality win, #5 if we count all of these: #13 Ore, [I think Bol Bol is out, remains to b seen if this will b a quality win,] UConn, Pitt [?], #23 Ia. St., and #24 Neb. We have many, many opportunities ahead and it would be nice to get 1 or 2 upsets.

2 questions loom= How many conference wins will it take to make the dance?
If we finish lower than .500 in league, [which will prolly put us on the bubble] will our non-conference wins be enough to get us in?

As HawksMN said: "Damn the Wisky loss!" Indeed! 9-11 in the toughest conf. in America looks a hell of a lot better than 8-12

1st time all season that I've seen Moss go to the rim on offense & he got the put back. Hope he keeps this up. I've never liked Moss's rebounding game. Prove me wrong Moss.
He's been quietly putting up better stat lines since Iowa State. He's got enough experience now that he should be doing it on a more consistent basis.

So far really only Iowa State and Neb are quality wins. In the new NET rankings Pitt is #82, Oregon is #84, and UConn is #101 and they are all trending the wrong way fast. Iowa is going to have to make hay in conference and if they can keep up the play like they did against Neb they certainly can.
Who were the prognosticatons who had Oregon ranked #13 when we played them?

Talk about being blinded by the swoosh!

So far really only Iowa State and Neb are quality wins. In the new NET rankings Pitt is #82, Oregon is #84, and UConn is #101 and they are all trending the wrong way fast. Iowa is going to have to make hay in conference and if they can keep up the play like they did against Neb they certainly can.

We don't know the intangibles: which teams suffer season ending injuries to key players, who gets hot, who cools way down etc... We better win a cpl in the B1G tourney... just sayin'

If things go as "scripted", we would finish 8-12, 19-12 with at least one gm in the conf. tourney. A loss there first game leaves us at 19-13 and pretty damn shaky, unless we get a cpl of really good wins!

I was watching a hockey game during the Iowa game, but it is a great win plugging the holes of a leaking ship.

Can we hope or expect Iowa will "steal" a couple of games in conference and end with a surprising record that vaults them into the Big Dance?

One item that stuck out to me was Cook hitting, I think, four beautiful free throws in a row down the stretch when Iowa was wobbling. Very nice, well done!

Some of those Iowa possessions when the game was up for grabs at the end, as Iowa was bleeding out, were, well, troublesome. Cook refusing to give the ball to a guard at the defensive end, deciding to take it down himself, and then fumbling it away near the basket, leaving Iowa with another turnover in a series of turnovers. Yikes, hard to fathom, ugly.

Bottom line, WIW

1st time all season that I've seen Moss go to the rim on offense & he got the put back. Hope he keeps this up. I've never liked Moss's rebounding game. Prove me wrong Moss.
This is what stood out to me. He had 10 rebounds last night. With his length, he could average 8 rebounds a night if he applied himself.

I didn't think we would get this one. They had to show me a few things first.
Nebraska shot poorly. They had a ton of open 3 pt shots. They just couldn't make any. And they could have put up 15 more open 3pt shots but they got gun shy. Too bad, so sad for Nebby.

Nebraska shot poorly. They had a ton of open 3 pt shots. They just couldn't make any. And they could have put up 15 more open 3pt shots but they got gun shy. Too bad, so sad for Nebby.
That was certainly a big factor, similiar to Iowa State shooting blanks from three a few weeks ago.

Foul trouble was another factor, especially when Watson picked up his fourth. It exposed Nebraska's biggest weakness (lack of depth) and forced the move to the 1-3-1, which forced some turnovers but also helped our outside shooting and offensive rebounding.

It was nice to see some leadership from the upperclassmen. They called out the poor defensive effort from the Purdue game and it appears as though the team responded positively to it. We'll see how much of a difference it makes in the long run but nice to see, anyway.

I thought that we really were challenging most of the shots early which lead to them never getting into a rhythm. Like you said they got gun shy. But then again they did start 3 out of 7 so early probably isn't quite right

It was nice to see some leadership from the upperclassmen. They called out the poor defensive effort from the Purdue game and it appears as though the team responded positively to it. We'll see how much of a difference it makes in the long run but nice to see, anyway.
The effort was encouraging. You still had 46.2 fg% and 84 points and that needs improvement, but they also had to play Kriener 25 minutes and he still gets exposed inside. He did have a nice offensive line with 14 points, 5-8 fg shooting, zero turnovers and, most importantly, hit that early three pointer which had to help his confidence.

I didn't like those high looping passes we used all night. Several went badly. They need to learn Mr. Davis's bounce pass with english on it, starts outside and bounces in.
I used to love that bounce pass entry into the post from the baseline that not only needed the english you mentioned but was also thrown to a moving target. It wasn't an easy catch for the post player. Russ Millard, who was an underrated player when eligible, may have been the best at both throwing it and catching it.

It was a nice win. It was a must win if we've ever had such a thing. Man it's fun watching Jbo out there shooting with confidence. Even when Nebraska started coming back I wasn't all that worried because Jbo was back to being himself and it felt like he was going to make any good look he got.
That said the must win games keep coming... Since it don't look like we are goin to steal many road wins this year we have to protect home court as much as ever and that won't be easy either. Maybe with JBo back to being himself and Kreiner playing more and with confidence it'll add to how we are a matchup nightmare for others. We put up 93 last night and felt like we coulda put up a lot more. (granted it became a free throw fest the last 2 mins) Point being if we don't turn it over a ton there's no reason our O can't keep up with most teams we play against home or away..