Nice win

I wonder if they're running a "Fire Greg Gard" poll? Seems to be the trend these days when your team has a bad year.
Completely different situation considering UW has been without two of their top 7 guys including their starting PG, not to mention they’ve been to the sweet 16 the last two years with Gard.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Gard continues to struggle going forward to a level they don’t feel is acceptable, their AD will not hesitate to move on.

Completely different situation considering UW has been without two of their top 7 guys including their starting PG, not to mention they’ve been to the sweet 16 the last two years with Gard.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Gard continues to struggle going forward to a level they don’t feel is acceptable, their AD will not hesitate to move on.

Totally different situations. Totally different scenarios both coaches took over tho too and

IMO, and this is just my opinion, Iowa's AD won't hesitate either. 1 thud doesn't get ya canned at most schools, a string of them does. Iowa fired Lick in 3 years. That's pretty quick for any school.

Totally different situations. Totally different scenarios both coaches took over tho too and

IMO, and this is just my opinion, Iowa's AD won't hesitate either. 1 thud doesn't get ya canned at most schools, a string of them does. Iowa fired Lick in 3 years. That's pretty quick for any school.
Lick showed no improvement and the cupboard was pretty empty for the following year if we would have retained him. It’s pretty easy in basketball to see that.

I guess my question to you would be do you consider last season a success?

Lick showed no improvement and the cupboard was pretty empty for the following year if we would have retained him. It’s pretty easy in basketball to see that.

I guess my question to you would be do you consider last season a success?

Not a success, but acceptable. When you lose a class like Woody, MG, Sapp and Uthoff in one shot, I expect at least a step back. I also like a lot of pieces on the roster right now. I know everyone else doesn't and that's fine, that's your opinion, this is mine. I know according to everyone that Iowa is slow and unathletic and none of our players should be playing the the B1G. But I like Garza, Nunge, Cook, Jordan, Moss and Baer next year coupled with Connor, Joe W and possibly an off-season addition. That's just me... next year you guys can tell me how I don't know anything about basketball and I will agree with you then like I agree with you now on that fact,

This.

Most teams are like 11-15 from 3 in the first half against us while Wisky couldn't hit anything from 3 for awhile. It's as much to do with the win last night as anything.

I was working and didn't get to see the game but this is what I was concerned about even after seeing the score. Did Iowa step up and play marginal defense or did Wisconsin miss open shots? I've heard from a few different people that they missed a lot of open shots.

Not a success, but acceptable. When you lose a class like Woody, MG, Sapp and Uthoff in one shot, I expect at least a step back. I also like a lot of pieces on the roster right now. I know everyone else doesn't and that's fine, that's your opinion, this is mine. I know according to everyone that Iowa is slow and unathletic and none of our players should be playing the the B1G. But I like Garza, Nunge, Cook, Jordan, Moss and Baer next year coupled with Connor, Joe W and possibly an off-season addition. That's just me... next year you guys can tell me how I don't know anything about basketball and I will agree with you then like I agree with you now on that fact,
Why do you feel sorry for yourself? Why don’t you say next year I will tell you guys I was right and Fran could turn this thing around?

I also like some of the pieces we have here. I just question whether Fran will be able to make the moves to maximize that talent. I don’t feel Connor is a solution at PG, and if he isn’t I don’t think Fran will go out and bring one in to take Connor’s play time. Also I don’t see how he will be able to manage the rotation. We finally had a manageable rotation last night, which was really by default with two injuries. All 9 of those guys will likely return, along with Kriener, Weiskamp, and Connor. The rotation issue we have seen this year won’t get better next year, it will likely be worse.

To me missing the tournament is missing the tournament. I don’t think we can just throw last year out the window. Missing the tournament two years in a row, with a bubble team at best returning for the following year, is not good.

Nunge is starting to concern me. He looks lost out there while Garza looks like a man in the paint. I think Fran has really screwed with his confidence trying to play him at the 3 and that it might hurt him in the long run.

Why do you feel sorry for yourself? Why don’t you say next year I will tell you guys I was right and Fran could turn this thing around?

I also like some of the pieces we have here. I just question whether Fran will be able to make the moves to maximize that talent. I don’t feel Connor is a solution at PG, and if he isn’t I don’t think Fran will go out and bring one in to take Connor’s play time. Also I don’t see how he will be able to manage the rotation. We finally had a manageable rotation last night, which was really by default with two injuries. All 9 of those guys will likely return, along with Kriener, Weiskamp, and Connor. The rotation issue we have seen this year won’t get better next year, it will likely be worse.

To me missing the tournament is missing the tournament. I don’t think we can just throw last year out the window. Missing the tournament two years in a row, with a bubble team at best returning for the following year, is not good.

I don't feel sorry for myself and I will be here to tell you I told you so, promise. Things have been bad this year and everyone wants Fran run except for a few. When Iowa does turn it around, and I feel like they will because Fran HAS proven to me that he can maximize and develop talent (Marble, White, Jok and Uthoff) - I personally think LAST year was his best coaching job. To me missing the tournament is missing the tournament as well. I can't throw anything away, but I was satisfied with how they played tho, given the class that just left. I also don't think Fran is considered 1 bit about his kids playing time. I just don't. I don't think he gives a flip about anything other then winning and I think he puts that as high on the list as any coach in America. Now, his strategy to accomplish that, I feel is fair game and I do take some issues with some of his coaching. But that would be and has been the case with every single coach of every sport I've followed.

Nunge is starting to concern me. He looks lost out there while Garza looks like a man in the paint. I think Fran has really screwed with his confidence trying to play him at the 3 and that it might hurt him in the long run.

Maybe? I dunno, you think that can hurt? It could, I guess I don't know how that development can hurt a player long term? Trying to develop his game to be a 3 or a 4 or a stretch 4? His confidence is likely down, but he's 18/19 - he's gonna have plenty of opportunity to get that back up. I also think, he's a Freshman - playing minutes on a B1G team that has a lot of 4's - he likely wants on the court and will play whatever is asked of him to do it.

I don't feel sorry for myself and I will be here to tell you I told you so, promise. Things have been bad this year and everyone wants Fran run except for a few. When Iowa does turn it around, and I feel like they will because Fran HAS proven to me that he can maximize and develop talent (Marble, White, Jok and Uthoff) - I personally think LAST year was his best coaching job. To me missing the tournament is missing the tournament as well. I can't throw anything away, but I was satisfied with how they played tho, given the class that just left. I also don't think Fran is considered 1 bit about his kids playing time. I just don't. I don't think he gives a flip about anything other then winning and I think he puts that as high on the list as any coach in America. Now, his strategy to accomplish that, I feel is fair game and I do take some issues with some of his coaching. But that would be and has been the case with every single coach of every sport I've followed.
First of all not everyone wants Fran run. The poll was like a 50/50 spilt.

Last year was his best coaching job?? We had a 1st Team all B1G Player, the 6th man of the year, and two all B1G freshman. We lost at home in the second round of the NIT. If that’s his best coaching job...yikes.

First of all not everyone wants Fran run. The poll was like a 50/50 spilt.

Last year was his best coaching job?? We had a 1st Team all B1G Player, the 6th man of the year, and two all B1G freshman. We lost at home in the second round of the NIT. If that’s his best coaching job...yikes.

I didn't say nearly any of that. I didn't say the finish was his best. I didn't say that losing in the 2nd round of the NIT was his best year. I said, last year was his best coaching job and if you look at it objectively, it's hard to argue. Iowa started the season with a decent senior SG. THAT'S IT. They lost like what % of their minutes and scoring from the year before? Jok wasn't on any pre-season list to be All B1G. He also had 4 freshman who basically started or played the bulk minutes most of the year in Jordan, Cook, Pemsl and Moss. Baer was Sophomore who the previous season was still a walk on. That, believe it or not, is not a recipe for projected success. Iowa was not considered a tourney team and they didn't end up there, but they came 1 game away. That's close, that's the ball bounce a different way a couple of times in a season.

Jok, didn't come into last year considered All B1G caliber. His season got him there, Fran's coaching helped
Cook and Jordan weren't on the All B1G Frosh list until Fran helped get em there.
Baer wasn't considered the best 6th man when the season started.

You have to give the coach some credit. Some credit. He also made his bed, I get that, but that's not what we're talking about here. IMO - last year was his best coaching job, this year is his absolute worse.

I didn't say nearly any of that. I didn't say the finish was his best. I didn't say that losing in the 2nd round of the NIT was his best year. I said, last year was his best coaching job and if you look at it objectively, it's hard to argue. Iowa started the season with a decent senior SG. THAT'S IT. They lost like what % of their minutes and scoring from the year before? Jok wasn't on any pre-season list to be All B1G. He also had 4 freshman who basically started or played the bulk minutes most of the year in Jordan, Cook, Pemsl and Moss. Baer was Sophomore who the previous season was still a walk on. That, believe it or not, is not a recipe for projected success. Iowa was not considered a tourney team and they didn't end up there, but they came 1 game away. That's close, that's the ball bounce a different way a couple of times in a season.

Jok, didn't come into last year considered All B1G caliber. His season got him there, Fran's coaching helped
Cook and Jordan weren't on the All B1G Frosh list until Fran helped get em there.
Baer wasn't considered the best 6th man when the season started.

You have to give the coach some credit. Some credit. He also made his bed, I get that, but that's not what we're talking about here. IMO - last year was his best coaching job, this year is his absolute worse.

Jok was preseason All B1G going into last year.

Latest posts