Nice article I saw reading paper this morning.

Brust had 26 points last nite to lead Mundelein to a 77-68 win over Vernon Hills.
Frosh pg Rob Knar had 23 to help Mundelein move to 18-12 for the season.

Good news,bad news....Ben Brust is solid, Jereme Richmond is very solid. Illinois is going to be a contender for the title the next 3 years with a top ten class next year joining a top 20 class this year.

This quote caught my eye: "Brust took to the run-and-gun style offense of the Mustangs like a young stallion to a new, wild herd."

This quote caught my eye: "Brust took to the run-and-gun style offense of the Mustangs like a young stallion to a new, wild herd."

I saw that too...did you have the same "hmm, that's...interesting" thought run through your head as well?

I do like that it sounds like the Hawks are going to get more athletic next year...with Brust, Larson, Marble and McCabe...maybe this offense will be more effective because of it?

Hold on while I pray...

I don't get the love for Richmond. He did absolutely nothing against Ames when Ames mopped the floor with that team. Ridiculous athlete with little skills is what he looked like to me

Mundelein really plays a lot of transition ball,with Ben getting a lot of transition 3 pointers and layups...hope Iowa speeds it up enough to get those open three pointers anyway..even if they cannot finish at the bucket.
I hardly recognized that breakaway by Eric May vs Michigan...seems like the first one of the Big Ten season for the Hawks.

This offense is not by design an "slow it down" offense. It has been slow it down to this point due to talent and depth. With the right athletes and good depth this is a 70+ ppg offense.

Shortening the game by limiting number of possessions has been the best way to play it for the past several seasons. Now if you want to pick apart the reason that's true, that's fair enough.

One of the reasons I'm most excited to see next years class is to see this offense open up a little (which it will).

I don't get the love for Richmond. He did absolutely nothing against Ames when Ames mopped the floor with that team. Ridiculous athlete with little skills is what he looked like to me

He can finish well, but other than that, not extremely impressed either. I'm still shocked he made the McD AA team this year. He's been suspended a couple times this year too.

I don't remember him shooting that well but just that he was real athletic. All I remember is ESPN talking about how great of friends him and Barnes are but yet Richmond kept trying to get some shots in on Barnes. Nothing huge, just things that barely stood out on the broadcast. Seems like a tool to me, and I hope he plays like he did that night the next few years or gets suspended a few more times.

Jereme = HYPE

Kid hasn't got any better since his freshman year. Stopped trying hard and working at his game. Yes the kid is an unbelievable athletic talent, but hardly a hard worker.

I'm sure Ben has no idea that he is leaving a run and gun style to "Lick ball" as some would say since it seemed like Iowa and Butler were the top 2.

Richmond led Waukegan to the State title game last year. I find it hard to believe that anyone would argue that he is all hype. He does play tonite on Comcast vs Whitney Young...so that should be a good test.
He did have a bad game in Ames...but they did play the nite before and then bus to Ames the afternoon of the game...and btw, Ames is a good team.

I guess Richmond has fooled the McDonalds folks, Bob Gibbons,Rivals,Scout and all the other services...??? Fans said the same thing about Derrick Rose and Evan Turner.

Keep repeating that mantra.....top 20 illini recruits suck...top 150 Iowa recruits are amazing...hope it works.

Yep Brust will fit right in with Iowa's run and gun offensive style of play.

I want to have a prelude to this post by saying this is not directed at any one posters, just an observation/comment on this sort of thing...

We have fans that are begging Lickliter to go out and get good recruits - kids that are going to bring excitement back into the program, kids that want to turn the program around, kids that can be exciting to watch.

Enter Ben Brust - and we get complaints saying - "why would a kid like that want to come to Iowa?"

Why not? Isn't that the sort of recruit you want to bring in?

I guess it just seems weird that people complain about the recruiting and then turn around and complain and question a recruits decision to come to Iowa. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Good point, Cyclones. The hype over the Illini BB recruits reminds me of how great some said their Recruiting classes would be under Ron Zooke,

LOL !:eek:

Latest posts