Nice article I saw reading paper this morning.

I don't think anyone is saying that at all.

I was referring specifically to Hawkeyebb's repeated postings that indicate that Richmond is all hype despite the fact that virtually every rating service has him in the top 20 ...seems delusional to me.

I want to have a prelude to this post by saying this is not directed at any one posters, just an observation/comment on this sort of thing...

We have fans that are begging Lickliter to go out and get good recruits - kids that are going to bring excitement back into the program, kids that want to turn the program around, kids that can be exciting to watch.

Enter Ben Brust - and we get complaints saying - "why would a kid like that want to come to Iowa?"

Why not? Isn't that the sort of recruit you want to bring in?

I guess it just seems weird that people complain about the recruiting and then turn around and complain and question a recruits decision to come to Iowa. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Agreed. I guess people find comfort in their own discomfort.

I am excited by Payne and May this year, and I feel Cougs has a huge potential upside with some more work on strength, physique and stamina. Brust strikes me also as a sparkplug that will get the crowds going again at CHA, if allowed to play a more open style of ball.

While Iowa will never be NC State, Houston, UNLV, any of the other run-n-gun programs, it is possible Lick will feel he is starting to get the athletes to run a more up-tempo game.

Note: I said possible.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying, while I do believe that he is the #1 player in the state of IL I'm agreeing with Spanký Barbasol that I find it baffling that someone who has had discipline issues multiples in a season should be a McDs AA. He was so far ahead of the curve as a freshman when he gained the publicity regarding his talents that other have "caught up" but he still hasn't been passed because of his athletic ability.

It could be that some are just skeptical on whether these recruits will be really good, or if it will be more of the same since Lick has arrived. Many have told us that players like Tucker were saviors for this program and we've seen many of them that either aren't Big 10 talent and/or leave the program.

There is a saying that goes "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"....that could be what's happening as we've been fooled before thinking Lick has found the "diamonds in the rough".

I know some of us are looking for a little more positive feedback about some of these recruits, other than they are ranked #14 in Illinois and behind 2 kids that have signed at Drake. I understand recruiting sources differ greatly and I hope that's the case with Brust. Either way, I doubt he's the go to guy we have been so desperately needing. I haven't seen many 2 guards that dominate games at 6'1"....maybe he'll be one though.

"This offense is not by design an "slow it down" offense. It has been slow it down to this point due to talent and depth. With the right athletes and good depth this is a 70+ ppg offense."....LOL

I can't wait for Lickliter to open up Iowa's offense with all the stud athletes Iowa has either...it will be nothing but run and gun.

Possession bb will mean nothing when this new class comes in. Payne will have a year under his belt and we all know that our present team will get faster and quicker with another year under their belt. That is just a natural progression. Of course, the other Big 10 teams are going to sit pat and not progress...just Iowa. And these freshmen aren't going to play like typical Big 10 freshmen, until they play like typical Big 10 freshmen and then people will say "but these guys are young...we should have all expected that from them."

LOL...Lickliter and and open offense is like the pros playing possession bb...

He will handcuff Brust, McCabe, and Marble the first day they hit the court. THAT is when these guys are going to have to relearn how to play bb...no more fast breaks or uptempo bb for these guys, they better get it out of their systems now. They will get used to looking over at the bench everytime they take a quick shot and see if Lickliter is mad for not holding the ball long enough....LOL

Richmond led Waukegan to the State title game last year. I find it hard to believe that anyone would argue that he is all hype. He does play tonite on Comcast vs Whitney Young...so that should be a good test.
He did have a bad game in Ames...but they did play the nite before and then bus to Ames the afternoon of the game...and btw, Ames is a good team.

I guess Richmond has fooled the McDonalds folks, Bob Gibbons,Rivals,Scout and all the other services...??? Fans said the same thing about Derrick Rose and Evan Turner.

I watched the Wuakegan vs. WY game tonight. The commentators made it sound like a ton of college's had people there watching the basketball games today/tonight. They said Iowa had coaches there, I don't know if Lick was there or not as they did not show any of the coaches or say what coaches were there. They showed Bruce Webber as he was at the game. Kind of funny he was there as Illinois played earlier that afternoon, he must have flow from Purdue straight to Ohare.

Say what you will about whether past recruits have been overhyped or whether our competition is doing better in recruiting, but objectively speaking, the incoming class of 2010 is better than any we've had here under Lickliter before. Clearly, one of the major problems we've had is a lack of talent, and yes, that falls on Lickliter and his staff. But I believe this class is a step in the direction of remedying that problem.

We'll just have to see what he does with them.

Waukegan hammered Whitney Young tonite....without their starting pg. Richmond had a lot of turnovers,but you can see his talent. At 6'8'' he can handle well,and shoot from distance, and is quick, and did have a windmill monster dunk along with a few baseline dunks. He will need to get stronger, but he looks like a young Tracy McGrady lite at times. Is he overhyped? Aren't they all? But has Iowa had a player of his talents since Ricky Davis? No.

Stormin,I am thrilled to death that Brust is coming to Iowa. I am just questioning why a great run and gun scorer would want to. You know what kind of game our coach plays as well as anyone. If Brust was your son,you would direct him in a different position. So would I.

"This offense is not by design an "slow it down" offense. It has been slow it down to this point due to talent and depth. With the right athletes and good depth this is a 70+ ppg offense."....LOL

I can't wait for Lickliter to open up Iowa's offense with all the stud athletes Iowa has either...it will be nothing but run and gun.

Possession bb will mean nothing when this new class comes in. Payne will have a year under his belt and we all know that our present team will get faster and quicker with another year under their belt. That is just a natural progression. Of course, the other Big 10 teams are going to sit pat and not progress...just Iowa. And these freshmen aren't going to play like typical Big 10 freshmen, until they play like typical Big 10 freshmen and then people will say "but these guys are young...we should have all expected that from them."

LOL...Lickliter and and open offense is like the pros playing possession bb...

He will handcuff Brust, McCabe, and Marble the first day they hit the court. THAT is when these guys are going to have to relearn how to play bb...no more fast breaks or uptempo bb for these guys, they better get it out of their systems now. They will get used to looking over at the bench everytime they take a quick shot and see if Lickliter is mad for not holding the ball long enough....LOL

There is a difference between slow ball and deliberate ball. Once agaion this offense is not by design a slow tempo offense. That does not make it an up tempo run and gun offense either. While I agree Lick hand cuffs his players to a point, understand that in terms of depth of talent he has also been handcuffed to some extent.

Next season you will not see Loyola Marymount ball, but the tempo will increase and the team will attack more with (what by all accounts should be) more quality depth.

Did I say that our talent will surpass the rest of the league? LOL indeed.. I certainly did not.

With that said, I do think Iowa has a chance to close the gap more than some think and guys like Brust are exactly what the Dr ordered for that.

There is a difference between slow ball and deliberate ball. Once agaion this offense is not by design a slow tempo offense. That does not make it an up tempo run and gun offense either. While I agree Lick hand cuffs his players to a point, understand that in terms of depth of talent he has also been handcuffed to some extent.

Next season you will not see Loyola Marymount ball, but the tempo will increase and the team will attack more with (what by all accounts should be) more quality depth.

Did I say that our talent will surpass the rest of the league? LOL indeed.. I certainly did not.

With that said, I do think Iowa has a chance to close the gap more than some think and guys like Brust are exactly what the Dr ordered for that.

Careful TM...don't forget that you're dealing with a section of fans, who at this point, want Iowa to fail.

Latest posts