NFL officiating

hawkdrummer1

Watching some of the preseason action this weekend. Apparently the NFL is in save-the-sport mode. Lots of personal fouls called for hard and late hits...some of them pretty lame. (see the Jags/Vikes game). The refs are pretty quick with the flag.

Anybody else notice this?

The NFL should have been in save-the-sport mode 10 years ago. What we are going to see is what we saw in the Super Bowl........Big 12 games just played at a higher level.

Watching some of the preseason action this weekend. Apparently the NFL is in save-the-sport mode. Lots of personal fouls called for hard and late hits...some of them pretty lame. (see the Jags/Vikes game). The refs are pretty quick with the flag.

Anybody else notice this?

The game has peaked and is diminishing. If they don't do something, it will continue. Not sure what the answer is though.

It's been mentioned and talked about here quite a bit but I really think it's true...football is going away.

The violence is what draws people to the game. As the evidence builds that players are more likely (by a huge margin) to get dementia from playing it, the rules are going to get more and more restrictive until they finally lose the viewership. It will eventually be a flag or touch game in a small niche market.

I wouldn't say it's going away at this point. It's getting pussified, yes, but it is still strong and huge revenue. If the NFL gets to tight with their rules, some other league with a bit looser rules would start up then the NFL would have to back off to protect the brand.

I know one thing, I ain't watchin' soccer. It's a loooooong time before I resort to that.

I wouldn't say it's going away at this point. It's getting pussified, yes, but it is still strong and huge revenue. If the NFL gets to tight with their rules, some other league with a bit looser rules would start up then the NFL would have to back off to protect the brand.

I know one thing, I ain't watchin' soccer. It's a loooooong time before I resort to that.

Every conversation like this brings up soccer. Can't talk about KF w/o bringing up HF.....

The revenue boosts are a result of the shift in TV viewing habits and the desire for the networks to vastly overpay for content they think people must watch live. But look among the kids. Look at the student section at most schools during random games.

Guys between 35 and 60 are big football fans, but these soyboys coming up now just aren't big fans. Of course there is a safety aspect of the game, but the biggest issue for football will be whether or not they piss the sport down their legs trying to bring in younger fans and women. I posted about NASCAR on another thread, but they went through a similar trajectory as football where the growth and money flowing in was astronomical and then it plateaued, then fell a little and they instituted a bunch of rule changes and moves to appease media outlets that pissed off a big chunk of the core fan base. The NFL in particular is in grave danger of going down this path. You have to realize they have a bunch of blow dried Ivy League MBAs in the league office now and similar to NASCAR, these morons have absolutely nothing in common with the common man that makes up the backbone of their fan base. These people ruin everything they touch.

Hell, the parallels between NASCAR and NFL growth and management are absolutely huge. NASCAR was started by Bill France Sr., then handed down to his kid, Bill France Jr. and those guys could rub elbows with the proles and loved their craft. Jr. died and his worthless kid Brian took it over. This kid had grown up rich as hell and seems to hold the common man in contempt. NFL's modern era was kicked off by Pete Roselle, then he handed keys to a blue collar Italian kid named Tagliabue who saw a lot of growth and new money through media and merchandising. Now the NFL is run by Goodell, who is literally a senator's son. These are the exact kind of people who ruin brands because they have no god damned clue what people want and they've never sat out in the stands and pissed away $9 for a beer or sat in traffic for 2 hours trying to get out of an event.

Anything can fall apart due to mismanagement, it might just take a little longer The NFL has more than a couple things stacked against it that I really think will hasten it going away.

-Awareness and acceptance that playing college and pro ball means you will more likely than not develop dementia.

-A huge reduction in participation at the youth and high school levels

-Kids now don’t have the attention span nor the interest in watching an over three hour long game with roughly 10 minutes of actual playing time. Do you know how many Fortnite matches you can finish in three hours?

If the NFL disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t miss it a bit. I like watching the Vikings and I like keeping track of former Hawkeye players, but it ends there. I haven’t watched a full game start to finish in yeeeaaars. College ball on the other hand I love. Saturday’s from 11:00 till the last game is done are off limits. I jump around games with the BTN and ESPN apps on Roku and if the Hawks aren’t playing I’m watching 3-4 games at any one time. I realize that when the NFL peters out the NCAA version won’t be far behind and that’ll upset me to a degree, but this head injury thing just isn’t going away. I give it 10-15 years before they’re playing with flags.

Anything can fall apart due to mismanagement, it might just take a little longer The NFL has more than a couple things stacked against it that I really think will hasten it going away.

-Awareness and acceptance that playing college and pro ball means you will more likely than not develop dementia.

-Kids now don’t have the attention span nor the interest in watching an over three hour long game with roughly 10 minutes of actual playing time. Do you know how many Fortnite matches you can finish in three hours?

If the NFL disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t miss it a bit. I like watching the Vikings and I like keeping track of former Hawkeye players, but it ends there. I haven’t watched a full game start to finish in yeeeaaars. College ball on the other hand I love. Saturday’s from 11:00 till the last game is done are off limits. I jump around games with the BTN and ESPN apps on Roku and if the Hawks aren’t playing I’m watching 3-4 games at any one time. I realize that when the NFL peters out the NCAA version won’t be far behind and that’ll upset me to a degree, but this head injury thing just isn’t going away. I give it 10-15 years before they’re playing with flags.

I think NFL players are more likely to get dementia than the average Joe but not more likely to get dementia than not get dementia.

I walked by some Dowling Catholic football camp for 12 year olds just last Saturday and there were over a hundred kids there easily. There probably is a dip in youth football participation but it's not about to die.

I do think ratings will continue to fall. I wonder if the fact that NFL players wanting guaranteed contracts for the next labor agreement in 2021 or whenever it is will cause more distress and fracturing.

It will at least continue to decline in the quality of product it is now, most likely.

The revenue boosts are a result of the shift in TV viewing habits and the desire for the networks to vastly overpay for content they think people must watch live. But look among the kids. Look at the student section at most schools during random games.

Guys between 35 and 60 are big football fans, but these soyboys coming up now just aren't big fans. Of course there is a safety aspect of the game, but the biggest issue for football will be whether or not they piss the sport down their legs trying to bring in younger fans and women. I posted about NASCAR on another thread, but they went through a similar trajectory as football where the growth and money flowing in was astronomical and then it plateaued, then fell a little and they instituted a bunch of rule changes and moves to appease media outlets that pissed off a big chunk of the core fan base. The NFL in particular is in grave danger of going down this path. You have to realize they have a bunch of blow dried Ivy League MBAs in the league office now and similar to NASCAR, these morons have absolutely nothing in common with the common man that makes up the backbone of their fan base. These people ruin everything they touch.

Hell, the parallels between NASCAR and NFL growth and management are absolutely huge. NASCAR was started by Bill France Sr., then handed down to his kid, Bill France Jr. and those guys could rub elbows with the proles and loved their craft. Jr. died and his worthless kid Brian took it over. This kid had grown up rich as hell and seems to hold the common man in contempt. NFL's modern era was kicked off by Pete Roselle, then he handed keys to a blue collar Italian kid named Tagliabue who saw a lot of growth and new money through media and merchandising. Now the NFL is run by Goodell, who is literally a senator's son. These are the exact kind of people who ruin brands because they have no god damned clue what people want and they've never sat out in the stands and pissed away $9 for a beer or sat in traffic for 2 hours trying to get out of an event.

I've been wondering for years now when the bubble will burst with these professional teams, in particular football and basketball. This not so much because of rules but the economy of the whole thing. How can teams pay the players so much and survive, especially, when every player believes they are worth so much. That bubble has got to burst at some point. I can't remember the pitchers name now they were talking about the other day. But, I think he just signed a new contract and he is going to get $8,000.00 for every pitch he throws, EVERY pitch!! You freaking kidding me.

There is no way I could even fathom taking my family of 4 to an NFL game. No way I could afford it. Well, I may be able to afford one but it's gotten to where I don't want to spend that kind of dough to go to a game. I wouldn't want the buyer's remorse thinking about it after I went. Hell, Hawkeye games are getting to that point. It's a terrific time going when you are single. Good time for a modest amount of $$$. But, when you take a family of 4, you're setting yourself back, give or take $500 bucks.

I think NFL players are more likely to get dementia than the average Joe but not more likely to get dementia than not get dementia.

I walked by some Dowling Catholic football camp for 12 year olds just last Saturday and there were over a hundred kids there easily. There probably is a dip in youth football participation but it's not about to die.

I do think ratings will continue to fall. I wonder if the fact that NFL players wanting guaranteed contracts for the next labor agreement in 2021 or whenever it is will cause more distress and fracturing.

It will at least continue to decline in the quality of product it is now, most likely.
I’m my area where we see decline in numbers is high school. West Lyon is the only school in our area that really maintains numbers in any sport. I don’t think it’s necessarily just the head injury thing either. There are so many distractions out there and a lot of times kids either want to work or they focus strictly on one sport. Unless you’re a total beast of an athlete the only way you can keep up and be an elite, say, baseball or football player is to train in it year-round. I just talked to our varsity baseball coach last week (I still live in the town I played sports for) and he’s ready to hang it up because the basketball and football coaches have unwritten rules that if you play their sport, you’re “strongly encouraged “ to attend the camps they “suggest” in the summer. If not you get blackballed. We had 4 seniors playing baseball this past year and not enough freshman for a freshman team in a town of 5,000 ish. Football is about 2/3 of what there was when I was in school in ‘98.

I've been wondering for years now when the bubble will burst with these professional teams, in particular football and basketball. This not so much because of rules but the economy of the whole thing. How can teams pay the players so much and survive, especially, when every player believes they are worth so much. That bubble has got to burst at some point. I can't remember the pitchers name now they were talking about the other day. But, I think he just signed a new contract and he is going to get $8,000.00 for every pitch he throws, EVERY pitch!! You freaking kidding me.

There is no way I could even fathom taking my family of 4 to an NFL game. No way I could afford it. Well, I may be able to afford one but it's gotten to where I don't want to spend that kind of dough to go to a game. I wouldn't want the buyer's remorse thinking about it after I went. Hell, Hawkeye games are getting to that point. It's a terrific time going when you are single. Good time for a modest amount of $$$. But, when you take a family of 4, you're setting yourself back, give or take $500 bucks.

They have gotten propped up by three huge revenue sources that the teams really figured out how to monetize in the past few decades. First is merchandising. But that pool ain't gonna get any bigger. Second is premium experiences - fleecing ticketholders by requiring PSLs or massive annual payments just to get tickets plus the skyboxes. Third is media rights - that bubble has to burst eventually. I think the first crack you'll see is on premium tickets and skyboxes. The tax code changes this year eliminated deductibility for college "donations" and for "entertainment expenses" but the changes didn't kick in until after decisions for 2018 were made. I think as the companies and wealthier people who were fronting these costs get their tax bills, we'll see a hit on that piece of revenue. I can't imagine it will be easy to sell MLB skyboxes next year unless you are the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox. Everyone else is gonna get negotiated down. Not sure on NFL, but I'd hate to try to sell them for teams like the Chiefs or Bucs where you have capacity and not a lot of huge companies in the town.

I think all of these sports leagues are in for a day of reckoning because as the cable model breaks down and they lose power over ridiculous ticket prices, revenue growth will stop and players will want ever growing salaries that the revenue model can't support. We saw it with the NHL and my guess is that MLB is next up. And if the NFL can't reverse its TV ratings fortunes, they'll be in huge trouble when the TV deal runs out in 2022 or 2023.

Kids today just have more going on. Phones, tablets, social media all the different sports and activities that their are weren't all as prevalent as they were 10-15-20 yrs ago. How many 13 yr old die hard Hawkeye fans do you think their are now? By that I mean when I was 13 I'd seen the BJ Armstrong years and was set hook line and sinker. If I would have been good enough I'd have done the same thing Dean Oliver and Jeff Horner did and commit when I was that young. Your not going to see that again. Not where the kid actually follows through and does it for 4 yrs like they did. And I don't know if they were die hard fans so much but my point being kids now just have their attentions all over the place. So much so that football as high up on top of the mountain of sports and live entertainment that it is pretty much only has one way to go...

Even City High, my alma mater - State Champs several times through the 90's and 00's have had to combine their freshman/sophomore teams into a single team. I talk to my old FB coach regularly and he expects it to continue to decline.

I completely agree with you on this! I am a Bears fan, and while I'm excited that Daniels could be a starter for them, I doubt I will watch a full game of theirs this year. ( Ok, maybe the Monday Night game... ) but college football, that's a whole other animal!! I don't know if its the idea of the pageantry, or the rivalry, but its much more exciting for me to watch than what 90% of the NFL has to offer all season long.

I completely agree with you on this! I am a Bears fan, and while I'm excited that Daniels could be a starter for them, I doubt I will watch a full game of theirs this year. ( Ok, maybe the Monday Night game... ) but college football, that's a whole other animal!! I don't know if its the idea of the pageantry, or the rivalry, but its much more exciting for me to watch than what 90% of the NFL has to offer all season long.

I will watch damn near ANY college football game that happens to be on TV. NFL? Not so much. There definitely has to be a "reason" for me to watch NFL (former Hawk, fave team(s), etc.).