Next years fix

Color commentators on opponent radio broadcasts would disagree with comments about Cook being attractive to the NBA. To them Cook carries this team. Reading between the lines I would guess they dont have much eespect for Iowa other than JBo shooting in the motion. These 2 factors make the others seem better than they are. Cook gets a lot of pressure.

There is too much focus on pount guard. The reasons are that Fran is committed to motion and not dialed in to D.

Color commentators on opponent radio broadcasts would disagree with comments about Cook being attractive to the NBA. To them Cook carries this team. Reading between the lines I would guess they dont have much eespect for Iowa other than JBo shooting in the motion. These 2 factors make the others seem better than they are. Cook gets a lot of pressure.

There is too much focus on pount guard. The reasons are that Fran is committed to motion and not dialed in to D.

Agreed. Was driving out West when Iowa played Colorado, so listened to the broadcast on a Colorado radio station. The announcers loved Cook - called him a Greek God, a pro body right now, and generally were impressed compared to what they had seen. It was fun to listen to a game from that perspective.

Limited data...injury/illness but I just don't see CM being the PG that is going to change much for this roster.

Up and down the lineup...Iowa appears to play defense like they are walking in mud...that is, if they feel like playing some D.

Limited data...injury/illness but I just don't see CM being the PG that is going to change much for this roster.

Up and down the lineup...Iowa appears to play defense like they are walking in mud...that is, if they feel like playing some D.

It keeps coming back to defense. I get a little optimistic at times thinking about Dailey coming on, or Baer getting back into form, or Bohannon scoring 29. Then I start thinking about defense again and come back to reality that this team simply can't win playing defense like they do. I rewatched the Illinois game and was surprised st how bad the defense still was in the second half. They didn't give up a ton of points, but almost every point they gave up was easy. You can't work to get points at one end and just give them right back on the other. But that's what they do.

It keeps coming back to defense. I get a little optimistic at times thinking about Dailey coming on, or Baer getting back into form, or Bohannon scoring 29. Then I start thinking about defense again and come back to reality that this team simply can't win playing defense like they do. I rewatched the Illinois game and was surprised st how bad the defense still was in the second half. They didn't give up a ton of points, but almost every point they gave up was easy. You can't work to get points at one end and just give them right back on the other. But that's what they do.

And this (poor defense) doesn't magically get better. Experience will help, but with only one new player in the rotation next year (at this point), I don't see the defense getting better unless there is a change in the way the defense (or rotations) is fundamentally played.

Those radio guys don't cover the NBA. Find me one article mentioning him as one of the top 60 prospects in the 2018 draft.

There are certainly more guys than that. Duane Wilson who transferred from Marquette to Texas A&M comes to mind off the top of my head. But overall I think we are in agreement that the market is pretty thin and that Iowa’s chances of getting one of these guys is pretty slim.

I couldn't think of anybody else off the top of my head. However, the point is still that there is a handful of those guys and they aren't guaranteed to work out. Last year after the season ISU fans, myself included, were going crazy about maybe signing Mark Alstork who went to Illinois. He would in no way make this ISU team better.

And this (poor defense) doesn't magically get better. Experience will help, but with only one new player in the rotation next year (at this point), I don't see the defense getting better unless there is a change in the way the defense (or rotations) is fundamentally played.

I'm not so sure. It magically got worse this year. Also Garza could get better and help. Mostly it's effort tho and for whatever reason, they started the year with zero effort and have been scrambling to turn it around ever since. They just need confidence to get them going. With that, the effort will come.

I honestly think the game tonight is worth at least 3 wins. If they lose, they go back to square one and probably keep losing. If they win, that's 2 in a row and maybe builds enough confidence to steal a couple later.

I should clarify it will only lead to more wins if they play good and win. If they suck and Rutgers just sucks more, it won't really help for future games.

Those radio guys don't cover the NBA. Find me one article mentioning him as one of the top 60 prospects in the 2018 draft.

I couldn't think of anybody else off the top of my head. However, the point is still that there is a handful of those guys and they aren't guaranteed to work out. Last year after the season ISU fans, myself included, were going crazy about maybe signing Mark Alstork who went to Illinois. He would in no way make this ISU team better.

Several of them are former NBA players.

Is it really as easy as bringing in a good grad transfer PG?

This would allow Fran to play the PG and Jordan off guard. This instantly gives us guard depth with the new grad Transfer PG, Jordan, Moss and Dailey. We have Weiskamp coming in, so now we have depth at the 3/wing with him and Baer. Slide Nunge to the stretch 4 where he belongs.

Too many guys playing out of position right now. Nunge is sideways because he is asked to be a 3 when he simply isn't a 3 (and might never be). Jordan would be better served as a combo guard taking some pressure off him at PG all the time, let him just be a scorer for stretches. Moss and Dailey you could play the hot hand, and take some pressure off them as well.

Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need.

Only concern with moving JBo to the wing spot is he's a very small 2 guard. He's going to have guys that are much larger guarding him. Then on D, he is at the same height/strength disadvantage. That isn't always the case at PG right now.

Only concern with moving JBo to the wing spot is he's a very small 2 guard. He's going to have guys that are much larger guarding him. That isn't always the case at PG right now.

That's OK. Illinois had Mark Alstork (6 foot 4) guard Jordan while he was in the game. JBo managed to score 29 and get Alstork to foul out of the game in 21 minutes. :)

That's OK. Illinois had Mark Alstork (6 foot 4) guard Jordan while he was in the game. JBo managed to score 29 and get Alstork to foul out of the game in 21 minutes. :)

Not saying he wouldn't be successful sometimes but forgive me if I don't consider Mark Alstork (or any Illinois player) as the hallmark player to make that argument. Pretty sure if you look at the history of bball, you won't find a lot of long term success for 6ft tall shooting guards.

Not saying he wouldn't be successful sometimes but forgive me if I don't consider Mark Alstork (or any Illinois player) as the hallmark player to make that argument. Pretty sure if you look at the history of bball, you won't find a lot of long term success for 6ft tall shooting guards.

My point is, the offensive end isn't the issue when Bohannon is on the floor. He's the second leading scorer on the team and I don't think that changes if he moves to the 2 spot. It will be his matchup on defense whether Iowa plays man to man or zone.

My point is, the offensive end isn't the issue when Bohannon is on the floor. He's the second leading scorer on the team and I don't think that changes if he moves to the 2 spot. It will be his matchup on defense whether Iowa plays man to man or zone.

What's funny is the defensive matchup wouldn't even probably change if he switched positions. If a team thought it was in their best interest to have their 1 guard Bohannon, they would do that even if Bohannon played the 2.

What's funny is the defensive matchup wouldn't even probably change if he switched positions. If a team thought it was in their best interest to have their 1 guard Bohannon, they would do that even if Bohannon played the 2.

I agree. The matchups that give JBo the hardest times are the small quick guys who would stay on him, not the taller guys. Against tall guys, he just moves back a little and launches 25 footers instead of 20 footers. It's better to run him off the line and make him put the ball on the floor. Like Zavier Simpson.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/01/zavier_simpson_fueled_by_exces.html

"He was phenomenal," Bohannon said. "Obviously he's leaps and bounds better than last year. ... He was huge for them tonight." Bohannon said Simpson is a "gritty" defender. "He made it tough for me to try to get in the flow of offense."

Latest posts