Next years fix

I agree. The matchups that give JBo the hardest times are the small quick guys who would stay on him, not the taller guys. Against tall guys, he just moves back a little and launches 25 footers instead of 20 footers. It's better to run him off the line and make him put the ball on the floor. Like Zavier Simpson.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/01/zavier_simpson_fueled_by_exces.html

"He was phenomenal," Bohannon said. "Obviously he's leaps and bounds better than last year. ... He was huge for them tonight." Bohannon said Simpson is a "gritty" defender. "He made it tough for me to try to get in the flow of offense."

Oh look another point guard we couldn't land.

<<Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need>>

In order to even KNOW that, we'd have to see him actually play, oh, half a season or more...

I would like to see a healthy Connor, completely healed. He ran the team very well playing at less than 50%. He is not a natural PG but he has natural basketball savvy and knows how to play the game. He would make the team run much better than is usually does.....

We still need to land DJ Carton. He is the perfect compliment to the team we will have on the floor when he would arrive.....

Connor also understands the basic concepts of playing D.....

:cool:

Is it really as easy as bringing in a good grad transfer PG?

This would allow Fran to play the PG and Jordan off guard. This instantly gives us guard depth with the new grad Transfer PG, Jordan, Moss and Dailey. We have Weiskamp coming in, so now we have depth at the 3/wing with him and Baer. Slide Nunge to the stretch 4 where he belongs.

Too many guys playing out of position right now. Nunge is sideways because he is asked to be a 3 when he simply isn't a 3 (and might never be). Jordan would be better served as a combo guard taking some pressure off him at PG all the time, let him just be a scorer for stretches. Moss and Dailey you could play the hot hand, and take some pressure off them as well.

Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need.

You could have stopped after your first sentence or maybe one followup sentence that is also bring in a really stellar frosh PG. You are right that it is the main missing piece. A really good PG you can penetrate anytime, break down a defense, finish at the basket or will make all the other players better is the missing piece. Always has been.

Was it Marble's last year when they collapsed down the stretch with Marble running the point. Needed a really good PG that year to kick that offense in gear the last 10 games and let Marble fire away from the wing or catch and drive.

FYI - sounds like the NCAA is close to passing a new rule that will not require transfers of any kind to sit out. So it won't be just grad transfers that are immediately eligible and I think it will go into effect starting next season. Fran should absolutely be looking at lower division PG's if he hears about any looking to move and contacting them via AAU coaches and whatnot to gauge interest.

CM will help at pg, but do you really see him stopping the kind of drives made by the Rutger guards last night. We need guys that can body players, jump a little, and have the footspeed to get back on defense. Another player standing flat footed trying to draw a charge will not stop the run outs and slam dunks.

FYI - sounds like the NCAA is close to passing a new rule that will not require transfers of any kind to sit out. So it won't be just grad transfers that are immediately eligible and I think it will go into effect starting next season. Fran should absolutely be looking at lower division PG's if he hears about any looking to move and contacting them via AAU coaches and whatnot to gauge interest.

Seems to me that all players will want to transfer "up" as soon as they turn out better than their ranking. Guys like Aaron White will end up going to OSU their sophomore year.

Seems to me that all players will want to transfer "up" as soon as they turn out better than their ranking. Guys like Aaron White will end up going to OSU their sophomore year.

I see this as the creation of D1 juco's and prep schools. Kids will sign with the most attractive offer where they can get playing time and use it as a stepping stone with the intent of transferring to "better program" after a year or so. This seems like a huge mistake to me.

Sorry, but I don't think the HC thinks we need a fix. My guess is that his take on this season will be that Williams leaving the team, Baer's early season injury, and Connor's on going health problems prevented the team from developing into a cohesive unit this year. So assuming next year we don't run into similar adversities, we do have a top 40 recruit joining the team and since returning players will be a year older (InGoodCompany), we should finish somewhere between 4-7th in the B1G and be on the tourney bubble.

Nothing to see here, keep moving ...

I think we all know Brady has to move on. He should have his degree and he either graduate transfers or goes out and starts his post college life. Someone needs to be brought in to play right away and contribute. I don't think that would be a freshman. I believe it's very probable some other lower bench player transfers also. His scholarship would need to go to someone who could right away. There seems to be no cohesiveness and team play this year. I fear that could make for a couple of other disgruntled players who decide to leave. If Cook is one of them the program would be set back tremendously and I don't think Fran survives that. The fix for next year is immediate experienced help, no current starters transferring and something has to be done to get the players to play as a team and play hard each game(MOTIVATION).

Latest posts