Next Year...

It’s ok to lose games if you are improving. You have to pay your dues. This year iowa had players that should have played more, but for right or wrong the minutes went to the more experienced players. Next year guys will get to play, it should be fun.

One other thing that would be nice to see, is that I hope Ogundele works hard to get in shape this summer, transforms his body, and can contribute meaningful minutes in the post next season. I'm not sure what the exact number would be, but if he could lose, say, 30 pounds or so between now and November - could only help him IMO. From what little I saw this year, looks like he would have a Big Ten type body.

I, too hope everyone’s optimism is realized. Just not seeing it, at least not next year.

I think everyone is looking at the individuals’ potential - in a vacuum - and glossing over how crucial Luka was to creating everyone else’s opportunities. He routinely commanded double and triple teams and it was STILL a crap shoot for the 3s to fall. Then, the minute teams play the shooters straight up - God forbid, pressure the shooters to deliver or, worse, try to become scorers - they are easily knocked off their game and it becomes a discombobulated shit-show (exactly what we saw, today).

I’ll buy the prediction of improved athleticism but that doesn’t mean discipline and good defensive effort. Not to mention, you still have an offense-first mindset and an out-score-em strategy. Also remember, there were numerous games this year where next years team blew nice leads during their time on the floor.

Again, hope I’m simply being half-empty but I just don’t see a single player that can emerge to lead and consistently perform to carry the team. I fear they’ll be 8th or worse and struggling for any post season. That doesn’t mean uncompetitive ... They can be “competitive” and still lose a lot of games by a couple points.
I can easily see this happening. One good thing is looking at the rest of the league. Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Rutgers should be pretty bad. Illinois and Wisconsin lose a lot. MSU will probably be good but they might lose all the reasons they didn't straight up suck this year. Michigan has a really good recruiting class but they lose a lot too. They will almost certainly be better than us. Purdue will probably win the conference. Northwestern will be average but probably not better than us. Indiana will be rebuilding. No idea about Maryland and Ohio State. Without surprises next year, it won't take a great team to finish 4th in conference.

I dont know, we just came off a season with the best team we have had in 30 years and left in the round of 32. We lose one of the B1Gs greatest 3 point shooters and one of the greatest B1G players of all time.

Hmmmm, yeah, next years group will overcome the lack of ability to guard quick, fast teams and the inability to get a good 3 point shot when guarded by quick, fast teams.

Definitely a NCAA team next year.
Yes Garza was a wet dream for us, but JBo frankly was a shadow of his former self, I don't know why, because he was one of my favorite Hawkeyes, but even with improved defense he just didn't have it this year. He was a better point this year than at any time in his career, but just didn't have those games that struck the fear into the opposing teams. He has earned his place in Hawkeye history and well deserved. But if I were Fran this year I would have sacrificed some early games to develop Ulis and Joe T and put JBo as the off guard. Conner, JBo, and post injury CJ made us the slowest team in the Big.

Latest posts