Next Year...

WindsorHawk

I would love to talk about next season; discuss NCAA Tournament games, etc. But it’s obvious every thread is going to be hijacked and/or go off topic. So I hope you all have a great spring and summer. I’ll be back in November. Go Hawks!

I'll stay on topic. Will be borderline tourney team, IF, BIG IF, effort is put in to get better defensively. Will not make tourney if they go all lazy ass again. Bank it.

I'll take a shot at it. Defense - the ceiling should be higher with some quicker players probably getting more PT who were further down the bench this year. Ulis, Perkins, Joe T, etc.

Offense? Lots of question marks IMO. CJF can make some threes, and then..... ???? Not sure who our reliable post players will be. Nunge maybe but not sure where he'll be physically next season after a second knee injury.

I think the offense is going to struggle next year at times. Can't lose JBo, Garza and (likely?) Wieskamp and not take a step or two back. Outside shooting won't be a strength like this year.

I have trouble seeing us as an NCAA team next year, if past "rebuild" teams at Iowa mean anything. Guess time will tell based in how guys develop this summer.

And whatever JW decides to do is obviously a huge factor. Could maybe make the dance with him. Without, not sure I see it.

Last edited:
yeah its tough to say.. if joe is back we still have some pretty good offensive punch.

Defense should be better... but some of our defensive guys needs to work on their outside shots.

I see us as a much more athletic team that has some incredible upside. Fran has to look for a couple of transfer players at guard and center but it might be a team that can surpise. the defense literally cost Iowa any chance to advance as well as hesitant three point shooting. I was critical of Fran not developing his young guards and It really bit them in the arse. Wow, watching Michigan looking slow against LSU. Is the talent level in the Big really that much lower than the rest of the nation’s best? The Big better lower their standards or change the rules on compensation cus the talent is on the West Coast. Back to Iowa, sometimes I thought the back-ups played better than the starters and I loved Pat,Keegan, and Joe T on the break. Add Perkins and Ulis, plus Chris and it’s a huge upgrade in athletic ability. Honestly I’ll miss Garza and Wiesy if he leaves, but its time for JBo to move on. If he did come back it would further retard the development of our young guards. I’ve heard rumors CJ won’t be back and might portal, hope not. I could see next years team being a pressing full court team ala Mr. Davis Davis. This happens so often that teams with so much expectations fall short and teams with low expectations excell. I hope that will be the case next year.

1616457222941.png

You are right Windsor.

with Joe 6-9 Big Ten wins (I will say 8 here)

without Joe 6-8 Big Ten wins (I will say 6.5 so probably 7)

With Joe a puncher's chance for an NCAA birth and beatdown in the first or 2nd game.

Without Joe, Iowa is an NIT Top 4 seed. Probably win a couple, then bow out.

Man...seriously...people think if Weiskamp comes back we are only an NIT team.

If Patrick Mac, Keegan Murray, Jack Nunge, and Joe Weiskamp isn't a nucleus tournament team then I don't know what is. Nunge will play in the NBA if he has a healthy senior year. He's got a huge upside. Throw in Ulis...who I think will be really good at the point...and Perkins, who is athletic and a bruiser...we have a good nucleus. CJ will be CJ and hopefully he gets healthy.

It would be great to get a transfer big from somewhere...someone who rebounds and can create some difficulty for opposing players in the paint.

Man...seriously...people think if Weiskamp comes back we are only an NIT team.

If Patrick Mac, Keegan Murray, Jack Nunge, and Joe Weiskamp isn't a nucleus tournament team then I don't know what is. Nunge will play in the NBA if he has a healthy senior year. He's got a huge upside. Throw in Ulis...who I think will be really good at the point...and Perkins, who is athletic and a bruiser...we have a good nucleus. CJ will be CJ and hopefully he gets healthy.

It would be great to get a transfer big from somewhere...someone who rebounds and can create some difficulty for opposing players in the paint.
I agree. Iowa is an NIT team without Joe, but with Joe is their only real shot of making the tournament again (short of Fran landing some quality players in the transfer portal).

I dont know, we just came off a season with the best team we have had in 30 years and left in the round of 32. We lose one of the B1Gs greatest 3 point shooters and one of the greatest B1G players of all time.

Hmmmm, yeah, next years group will overcome the lack of ability to guard quick, fast teams and the inability to get a good 3 point shot when guarded by quick, fast teams.

Definitely a NCAA team next year.

Really think we'll be better if Nunge is 100%, the amount of offense we lose we'll more than makeup for with defense gained. The amount of dribble drives that caused the defense to collapse was at times mind-numbing this year (and last for that matter). You saw how that quickly disappeared when Joe T and Ke Murray stepped in. Now Joe T needs to learn that there are gears to playing on the big stage and not everything needs to be overplayed 100% of the time. I think we'll grow into it next year and look strong by March barring no major injuries. This D was just frustrating to watch as the lack of lateral speed and strength just made it too easy to score on us. Looking forward to better balance even if it cost us some O at the front end of the season.

My wish list: JW comes back. CJ and Nunge get and stay healthy all year.
If so it will be an exciting season. If not, then it's gotta be let the young fillies run free and cheer em on!

Kegan, and PMAC have proven they are gonna be REALLY good. (10 more
pounds of muscle please.) I look for Perkins to explode, he is going to be special. JT has the tools, as does Ullis. Kris looks like another thoroughbred to me. That makes 9 pretty athletic players. A healthy CMAC will be an asset and integral part of it all.

Defense will be much improved and might even be good. Offense will be a track meet. Fun to watch. Kick ass one game, lose the next as they are one year away from fighting for BIG title again. Mid of the pack and back in the Dance.

Big question that needs answered, where does the leadership come from? Guessing it will start with CMAC. JW looks more like an example type leader. One great thing the team seems really close so chemistry should be good.

If so it will be an exciting season. If not, then it's gotta be let the young fillies run free and cheer em on!

pounds of muscle please.) I look for Perkins to explode, he is going to be special. JT has the tools, as does Ullis. Kris looks like another thoroughbred to me. That makes 9 pretty athletic players. A healthy CMAC will be an asset and integral part of it all.

Defense will be much improved and might even be good. Offense will be a track meet. Fun to watch. Kick ass one game, lose the next as they are one year away from fighting for BIG title again. Mid of the pack and back in the Dance.

Big question that needs answered, where does the leadership come from? Guessing it will start with CMAC. JW looks more like an example type leader. One great thing the team seems really close so chemistry should be good.
Your interesting post will really piss off the usual suspects. Stay strong.

I think Wieskamp would be better than Jok his senior year and the supporting cast will be considerably better than what Jok had. We barely missed the tournament that year so I think we would make it next year.

I love this post and hope it comes to fruition. The problem isnt going to be athleticism next year, it is coaching. We need to adapt to what is happening in game and we do not. We had 2 of the greatest Hawkeyes ever and could not get to the sweet 16. Can we overcome poor in game coaching?

I love this post and hope it comes to fruition. The problem isnt going to be athleticism next year, it is coaching. We need to adapt to what is happening in game and we do not. We had 2 of the greatest Hawkeyes ever and could not get to the sweet 16. Can we overcome poor in game coaching?
After looking at the minutes played, I'd say Fran adjusted better than I originally thought. Our personnel just didn't really match up well with them.

So here's my hope for replacing Garza's production. Garza takes a lot of shots per game, but it's not like we're going to have shot clock violations because he's not taking them. Those shots will still be taken, they just won't equate to as many points. So let's say Nunge takes half of those shots and scores 8 points. Then the rest of the team shoots the other half and scores 8 points. That means we lost 8 points of offense because we couldn't score as efficently as we did off Garza's shots. I think that is pretty doable.

So in order to make up those 8 points, we have to defend better. I think Nunge is a better defender than Garza. Hopefully he can stop a bucket or so per game that Garza couldn't. He's also a better rebounder. Maybe he prevents an offensive put back per game. If he can do that, we are only a few points off from where we were last year. We need guys like Keegan, Joe T, Perkins, and Ulis to make that up off the defensive end.

I could do the same breakdown for Bohannon but it's just easier to say he scored 10 points per game and gave up that many on the defensive end. I don't think his +/- is probably much over even if at all. It's all about our defense offsetting Luka's ridiculous scoring efficiency. I'm optimistic they can get close.

I would love to talk about next season; discuss NCAA Tournament games, etc. But it’s obvious every thread is going to be hijacked and/or go off topic. So I hope you all have a great spring and summer. I’ll be back in November. Go Hawks!

See you tomorrow.

I, too hope everyone’s optimism is realized. Just not seeing it, at least not next year.

I think everyone is looking at the individuals’ potential - in a vacuum - and glossing over how crucial Luka was to creating everyone else’s opportunities. He routinely commanded double and triple teams and it was STILL a crap shoot for the 3s to fall. Then, the minute teams play the shooters straight up - God forbid, pressure the shooters to deliver or, worse, try to become scorers - they are easily knocked off their game and it becomes a discombobulated shit-show (exactly what we saw, today).

I’ll buy the prediction of improved athleticism but that doesn’t mean discipline and good defensive effort. Not to mention, you still have an offense-first mindset and an out-score-em strategy. Also remember, there were numerous games this year where next years team blew nice leads during their time on the floor.

Again, hope I’m simply being half-empty but I just don’t see a single player that can emerge to lead and consistently perform to carry the team. I fear they’ll be 8th or worse and struggling for any post season. That doesn’t mean uncompetitive ... They can be “competitive” and still lose a lot of games by a couple points.

Latest posts