Next week defense

DrKnipe

We might need to dust off Evy's old defense and run like a 6-3. After Gordon today, don't you have to dare them to throw?

I'd go with the Fry 5-2. However Iowa has always done a good job stopping him, plus the fans get in his head and he can't focus in Kinnick stadium with the crowd. In the last game the other bad-ger RB was a bigger problem, not sure what his name was but I think he graduated. I held the current bad-ger RB to 3.6 yards per carry. A bigger advantage over last year was that the bad-gers had a lot of seniors on defense that are no longer there if I remember correctly.

I'd go with the Fry 5-2. However Iowa has always done a good job stopping him, plus the fans get in his head and he can't focus in Kinnick stadium with the crowd. In the last game the other bad-ger RB was a bigger problem, not sure what his name was but I think he graduated. I held the current bad-ger RB to 3.6 yards per carry. A bigger advantage over last year was that the bad-gers had a lot of seniors on defense that are no longer there if I remember correctly.

Don't bring up last year's game. Last year's defense had Hitchens, Kirksey and Morris at LB. This year's does not. Gordon is going to shred us. The reason we lost last year is because our offense, led by Greg the Moron Davis, couldn't do anything and our D got left hung out to dry and they folded by the end of the game. Unless the depth chart comes out saying CJ is starting, we will lose this one big.

It's going to be ugly. Tell me which of these match-ups sound favorable.
John Lowdermilk vs Melvin Gordon?
Bo Bowers vs Melvin Gordon?
Josey Jewel vs Melvin Gordon?
Anyone in the Iowa back 7 vs Melvin Gordon?

DL will have to play the game of their lives. Also, the offense HAS to actually perform in a big game. Iowa will probably need to score 5 TD's to have a chance...

We have been obliterated by the read options and these next 2 games feature 2 teams that are even more dangerous than those we've faced. Not sure how anyone can feel good about these next 2 games.

Spearman will be back. Go Raider D all game. Play your best 5 up front, even if that is bringing in another DLineman. Bring a safety up and show blitz nearly every play.

Thanks, another vote for a 5-2. It would fit sets with Spearman well, with him and Meier setting the edges.

Next weeks defense will feature a surprising 22 people on defense....that's the only frickin way to stop Gordon....that dude was insane today.....Bo Pelini was insane today.....It's worth admission just to watch him shred his players (like Gordon did)......Actually I was glad Connie kicked their a$$e$.....Pelini is a punk...

It not really fair to Lowdermilk to put him in a matchup with Gordon. Did you see Nebraska's safeties today. You have to slow him down at the line of scrimmage...if he gets a crease, it's all over...kind of like Weisman for Iowa.

Man, JL has had some really, really tough games against backs with size and speed...LSU, Indiana, etc. Here's another one. I certainly hope Phil Parker has a few wrinkles for this one.

I have a question: What is Alston doing guarding the middle of the field in 3rd and long situations. Can we move a safety or corner to the middle so we have someone who can guard a back out of the backfield?

It not really fair to Lowdermilk to put him in a matchup with Gordon. Did you see Nebraska's safeties today. You have to slow him down at the line of scrimmage...if he gets a crease, it's all over...kind of like Weisman for Iowa.

Man, JL has had some really, really tough games against backs with size and speed...LSU, Indiana, etc. Here's another one. I certainly hope Phil Parker has a few wrinkles for this one.

I have a question: What is Alston doing guarding the middle of the field in 3rd and long situations. Can we move a safety or corner to the middle so we have someone who can guard a back out of the backfield?

No, it isn't over. Gordon had 4 huge runs against Northwestern, but each time a safety wheeled over and kept him out of the end zone. Then, given a second chance, the NU defense typically got the stop. Gordon went for over 250 that day, but none of his big runs went for TDs. The key is for the safeties to take good angles and to just wrap up and not do the "hit him high and hope he falls" play.

I'm sure Phil is reviewing the Western Illinois vs. Bucky tape. WIU played 8-9 in the box and held Gordon to 38 yards on 17 carries. It can be done. This will be a classic letdown week for Bucky ... just like their game in Evanston this year.

I think the D can hold these guys in the twenties if they don't have to spend all day on the field. It's the offense that concerns me. It's time to put up points against quality competition, our kryptonite. I just don't think GD and JR in their respective positions are up to the task. To really run the O like it needs to be ran to win games like this we need someone else in at least one of those positions, and for GD, impossible, for JR, would have to be an injury early. (I am not wanting that to happen btw) So the D will likely wear down from logging too many minutes, and the O will likely put up <20. That is unless we have a minor miracle occur, which I'll be watching and hoping for.

The good news is that it is a metaphysical certainty Gordon isn't going to set the FBS single-game rushing record in back-to-back weeks.

Right?

Latest posts