Next week defense

Put 8 in box and hope Meier can hold up. Lowdermilk/Lomax cheat toward the LOS.....Take your chances with Mabin/King on a island by themselves. Iowa O has to do their part. As I stated before I like Iowa chances to win this. Maybe a bit of homer pick, but I don't care make Stave beat you.

The good news is that it is a metaphysical certainty Gordon isn't going to set the FBS single-game rushing record in back-to-back weeks.

Right?

Well in golf when someone shoots a 59 they usually come back the next day and shoot a 79.

Actually, I kind of enjoyed Gordon's performance yesterday and what better team than Nebby to do it against. The black shirts looked like black holes and I'm sure their fan base will be going in to total meltdown mode once again. I would not be surprised to see the Gophers knock them off again next weekend in Lincoln.

Well in golf when someone shoots a 59 they usually come back the next day and shoot a 79.

Actually, I kind of enjoyed Gordon's performance yesterday and what better team than Nebby to do it against.
AGREE!

Gordon was as fast to the edge as anyone I can remember AND then kicked in more MPHs to out-run DBs with angles. It was amazing to watch. And no better team to do it against than Cornhuskers who are going to have that record in the craw for quite awhile. Hopefully more than one week.

Put 8 in box and hope Meier can hold up. Lowdermilk/Lomax cheat toward the LOS.....Take your chances with Mabin/King on a island by themselves. Iowa O has to do their part. As I stated before I like Iowa chances to win this. Maybe a bit of homer pick, but I don't care make Stave beat you.
Knowing Iowa's history of letting avg and no-name players have career games Stave will have a career game of 362 yds passing and Gordon will be contained with 114 yds rushing

(and 185 yd receiving)

...The key is for the safeties to take good angles and to just wrap up and not do the "hit him high and hope he falls" play.
From what I saw last night hitting him low doesn't do much good either. Everybody on D is going to have to give him a great big bear hug, not let go, and drive through him. Just trying to stop him will not cut it. We will need to see the best, pure tackling performance of the season by the Hawks to win this. The keys are to make Stave beat us (you can bet they are looking very carefully at the MN footage) and to be efficient and productive on O. There is no margin for missed scoring opportunities. Whisky will score quickly when they do have the ball.

From what I saw last night hitting him low doesn't do much good either. Everybody on D is going to have to give him a great big bear hug, not let go, and drive through him. Just trying to stop him will not cut it. We will need to see the best, pure tackling performance of the season by the Hawks to win this. The keys are to make Stave beat us (you can bet they are looking very carefully at the MN footage) and to be efficient and productive on O. There is no margin for missed scoring opportunities. Whisky will score quickly when they do have the ball.

Correct - we need to play him like we used to play Dennard - someone hold him by grabbing the legs and then hit him in the mouth several times until he decides he doesn't want to play anymore. Norm's defenses used to be great at that, but unfortunately we don't have big hitting safeties or LBs who can go in and finish off the job if someone has him tied up. We need T. Sash and P. Angerer to suit up and show these kids how it is done.

They will make their money on the outside. Sealing the edges has been difficult. We send corners a ton to keep contain on QB. Back shoulder contain appears to be option this year based on angles.

It is what it is.

LB's will have to play disciplined and make sure they have their gap assignment and not try and chase. Also, I would like to see some run blitz's from Desmond King.

Good debate, but reality is Iowa doesn't have enough good horses in the stable on either side of the ball.

and add even more to discuss

Next Weeks Iowa offense goes up against the Country's #1 Ranked Overall Defense.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you look at WI's two losses interceptions were key especially with 4 at NW. Have to make their QB uneasy somehow someway as has been stated. NW played pretty much error free and put WI in poor field position often (7 punts). Gordon had over 250 yards in the NW loss. He's going to get his yards but better they come at their end of the field.

They're 2-2 on the road with the road wins coming against Purdue and Rutgers. Maybe we can generate enough electricity in Kinnick to cause some QB mistakes and try to stay close enough where anything could happen.

Yeah, I know, it's a stretch.

Good debate, but reality is Iowa doesn't have enough good horses in the stable on either side of the ball.

Next Weeks Iowa offense goes up against the ranked # 1 in Overall Defense.:rolleyes:

Well, I was going to say that Iowa's best defense in this game might be a good offense that milks the clock and keeps Wisconsin's O on the sidelines, but this doesn't bode well.

I'd like to think that Iowa has a good shot at winning this game, but I just don't see it. In the end, Wisconsin's offense will be too much. I don't see Iowa's O producing enough to keep up.

If Iowa had a better defense this year, I might see it differently.

Next Weeks Iowa offense goes up against the Country's #1 Ranked Overall Defense.:rolleyes:

Oh please...that defense has played one good offense (and that is debatable as it's Nebraska). Lining your defensive numbers with the likes of Western Illinois, Bowling Green, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Northwestern doesn't mean whole lot. Iowa held three of those teams to similar numbers. The difference is that they have been consistent against bad competition. It will be interesting to see how they do against Minny. Granted, they played LSU, but their schedule has been easier than Iowa's to this point...and that is really saying something.

This is going to be an interesting final two weeks. I think the Nebraska team that comes to Kinnick is going to be bloodied and bruised after facing Wisky then Minnesota. Also, all the domination that Wisconsin did yesterday has to be tiring. :)

Oh please...that defense has played one good offense (and that is debatable as it's Nebraska). Lining your defensive numbers with the likes of Western Illinois, Bowling Green, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Northwestern doesn't mean whole lot. Iowa held three of those teams to similar numbers. The difference is that they have been consistent against bad competition. It will be interesting to see how they do against Minny. Granted, they played LSU, but their schedule has been easier than Iowa's to this point...and that is really saying something.

This is going to be an interesting final two weeks. I think the Nebraska team that comes to Kinnick is going to be bloodied and bruised after facing Wisky then Minnesota. Also, all the domination that Wisconsin did yesterday has to be tiring. :)

Yeah Wisconsin's Defense sucks it's all smoke n mirrors. :) Easier than Iowa's?:confused: lol Please.. LSU alone makes that statement false, come on Win you smarter than that..

I just love the ebb n flow of optimism on this board, it's pretty cool to watch.

Last edited:
Iowa won't stop Melvin. Here are my keys for the game:
1. Somewhat slow down Gordon on defense...keep him under 200
2. Ball control on offense. Iowa will have to put up points, but they have to keep the ball out of MG's hands as long as possible.
3. Win the turnover battle. Force Wisconsin into some 3rd and longs, so they have to put it in the air. Hopefully MG will cough one up.
4. Whoever is punting Saturday will have to have the game of his life.

So....
Iowa will have to play their best game of the year to stand a chance. Even though Wisconsin fumbled 3 times in the first half, they were still able to demolish Neb...

Yeah Wisconsin's Defense sucks it's all smoke n mirrors. :) Easier than Iowa's?:confused: lol Please.. LSU alone makes that statement false, come on Win you smarter than that..

I just love the ebb n flow of optimism on this board, it's pretty cool to watch.

989 total yards

1078 total yard

I'll leave it up to you to figure out which defense was which and how many yards each team gave up to the common opponents of (Maryland, jNW, Purdue, and Ill.)

This stat is misleading. As others have noted, Wisky has played a soft schedule, but more importantly, it is just like when we had O'Keefe running the offense and could regularly put together a number of decent, time-consuming drives that kept the defense off the field. Wisconsin's D may be ranked first in overall defense, but it is nowhere near the best defense out there, it is just highly ranked because the offense keeps the reps the defense sees down.

We can debate all day long. However Saturday's game is all that matters and I will be rooting like no other for a victory. That said I don't feel confident. The sad reality is you don't lose to Minnesota 51-14 and think you have a team that going to be playing for a Championship.

I'm sure Phil is reviewing the Western Illinois vs. Bucky tape. WIU played 8-9 in the box and held Gordon to 38 yards on 17 carries. It can be done. This will be a classic letdown week for Bucky ... just like their game in Evanston this year.

It certainly can be done, as we did it last year. Of course, we didn't tackle James White with the same fervor as Melvin Gordon, so between the two of them they got 200 yards on about 35 carries, but Gordon certainly didn't beat us.

But that was last year's defense, with those 3 stud LB's at the 2nd level. Wisconsin threw the ball, what, 10 times yesterday? It's already been said a couple other times, but their starting QB is a guy who didn't play early this year because of the "yips". I don't think you need to be a D-1A coordinator to surmise who you are going to try to make beat you, a Heisman candidate (frontrunner?) or a "yippie" QB...

Latest posts