Next season - depth chart and things that need to happen

#1DieHardHawk

Looking forward, my early prediction is this is how the starters will shake out:

Offense

SE Smith-Marsette
LT Jackson
LG Render
C Daniels
RG Le Paulsen
RT Wirfs
TE Fant
TE Hockenson
WR Easley
RB Young
RB Kelly-Martin
QB Stanley

Defense

CB Turner
WDE A. Nelson
LT Nixon
RT Lattimore
SDE Epenesa
CB Hankins
WLB Jones
MLB Welch
SLB Niemann
SS Stone
WS Hooker

KR Kelly-Martin
PR Cooper

K Recinos
P (Hopefully, somebody who can actually punt...)

Obviously, a lot could change. Several positions are difficult to predict, especially at LB and CB. I would expect those battles to be ongoing through the spring and summer, but, in the end, I'm confident that Welch will have at least one spot at LB. Watch out for Nate Wieland. Rugamba is a wild card. Will he work at reclaiming his position or go the other way? I could see him as a transfer casualty as well. The other big wildcard is Snyder. Unless he makes a dramatic recovering, it's hard to see him beating out Hooker or Stone, and, there is the question as to whether or not he moves to LB. I think Turner will beat out Ojemudia and, possibly, Rugamba. He's just too talented.

The tackles are tough, too. If Reiff gains muscle and strength, I could see him taking a starter's spot. With all the rotation along the D-line, I'm not sure it matters who starts necessarily.

Offensively, probably not a lot of unknowns there. It will be interesting if some of the young WRs step up and fight for playing time. At RB, the wildcard is Bryan. He's kind of the forgotten man, but he has some real talent. I'd love to see someone take hold of the LG spot. Neither Render or Reynolds have impressed me at all. I'd watch out for Jenkins. He'll be a true frosh, but his ceiling is way, way higher than those two. I also could see Jackson and Wirfs flipping sides. Wirfs is more athletic and strikes me as a more natural LT.

I'm very worried about our linebackers next year. On the plus side, I hear the red shirt freshman (Bryant I think?) is a beast at RB.

I'm really hoping that Brandon Smith can make big strides in the offseason. He seems to have all of the tools: size, hands, speed. He just needs to put it together.

If Rastetter is still punting next season I will end up in jail. Seriously. How does he even have a scholarship? I don't want to knock the guy too much, but holy crap how can we not have a better punter???

The number one thing that needs to happen is for both the offense and the defense to do an in depth self scout and identify the main tendencies. They then need to spend the entire off-season and spring working on these items and specific plays and formations to break these tendencies. With the talent we have at running back and the arm talent of Stanley there is no way we cannot get more creative. Specifically they need to work on quick reads and more run pass options for Stanley. Too many of our pass plays rely on extended protection for the routes to develop. I would also like to see more creativeness in the screen game for backs, receivers, as well as the tight ends. We have talent at the tight end and I don't know if we have ever seen a TE screen. Lastly they need to work on switching up tempo in games. It is a subtle change that can affect drives and also help focus if the offense is struggling, it also limits teh ability for the D to substitue.

I think due to the loss of the linebackers I think we will see more blitzing and raider packages. I also think that IF Jackson decides to leave Parker will have no choice but to become more flexible in his defensive play calling in particular on 3rd down. I do not see anyway how we will be able to keep the group of linebackers in all downs just from a lack of experience standpoint and the lack of a shutdown corner. I think if he tries to do that we will be exploited to the max and we will really struggle to get off the field.

Lastly, there needs to be a HUGE emphasis on Punting and Punt Return. This was a big area of concern and really cost us some games in my opinion.

There are a couple of OL that will challenge such as Kallenburger. He is very good just needs the size and strength.

Two things stick out... all new linebackers and no Akrum Wadley.

AW single-handedly changed the course of many games. He's not a guy you just "replace" with next man in. Our offense is going to have to find some juice or 2018 will be a step backward.

EDIT: and a punter. Do we have a shot at the kid from Central?

It's hard not to reason that the offensive line will be much better next year, especially in pass protection. The injuries to both senior tackles hurt in both phases, running and pass protection. Wirfs and Jackson are bookend OTs that are just learning the ropes. Another spring and fall will do wonders for them and we should expect big things there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wirfs on the left side next year either. He moves like a 1st team left tackle. That being said, the excuses will wear thin if we can't protect the QB next year. We have had solid recruiting classes in each of the last three years on OL. It's time it showed with consistency up front. Losing Welch and Daniels will hurt...but the cupboard isn't bare. Polesak needs to earn his money...I'm giving him a pass this year with injuries.

The big issue...and it was evident yesterday...we can't get a WR behind anyone...or open period. Easley didn't have any separation on the one catch a wide receiver made yesterday (yes...one catch by a WR)...it was an absolutely perfect throw. I'm hoping ISM adds some weight and keeps the speed...and just steps up. We need playmakers on the outside. There has to be a JUCO WR somewhere than can beat people. This is such a glaring weakness...and other teams corners show no fear to play press coverage on any down. You can't have that.

Everyone should understand by now that "things that need to happen" / "things that even the most basic evaluation would identify as areas to work on / improve / change" don't translate to "things that happen" under this staff.

Expect the same approach to everything, and hope an easier schedule translates to a better record. All hail KF!

I'm really hoping that Brandon Smith can make big strides in the offseason. He seems to have all of the tools: size, hands, speed. He just needs to put it together.

If Rastetter is still punting next season I will end up in jail. Seriously. How does he even have a scholarship? I don't want to knock the guy too much, but holy crap how can we not have a better punter???

Dude I agree with the punter issue. If Stanley can pooch kick the damn thing for thirty yards hardly trying why couldn't he be the punter also. I know there's a risk of injury but I haven't seen any of our punters carried off the field of late so try it.

For anyone who tries making the argument that players should be paid, refer to Rastetter. No idea, how he's on scholarship but he's going to graduate debt free. No way should he paid in addition to that.

For anyone who tries making the argument that players should be paid, refer to Rastetter. No idea, how he's on scholarship but he's going to graduate debt free. No way should he paid in addition to that.

He isn't on scholarship.

I hope Daniels comes back bad.... I'd rather be just replacing one stud Olineman then our best two. Render and Reynolds left a lot to be desired with their play at guard. I think the tackle spots are solidified but if the Paulson twins or anyone else can step up and take the guard spots it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings to see an upgrade there.

LB will be interesting to see play out. Hard telling how it'll go but they do have some options with guys that have been in the program multiple years so I'm not worried about a huge drop off that some seem to be (If Dline wasn't going to be as solid as they should be I would be) That said losing Jewell is just not going to be easy.

WRs is a crap shoot. I think some folks already forgot about the Quarrels kid that transferred in. Maybe he can make an impact next yr with a full off season to practice on top of his time already. But between Marsette, Easley, Smith, Cooper who got his feet wet they have some bodies but how it'll play out is anyones guess. But Young and Falconer are on the outs.. If either of them are back let alone crack the lineup I'd be surprised.

DBs will be interesting too. I'm not banking on Snyder between his dui and knee injuries and competition for safety spots I think he might be on the outside looking in. I like Hooker/Gervase/Stone to be the 3 guys in there a lot for those 2 places.
Corner is a big time crap shoot. Rugumba will have to really man up to re earn his spot. Hankins has gotten his feet wet and done ok. Ojumedia has played some. Along with the guys that redshirted and new guys coming in at least they have a lot of competition.

Punter.... I say let Stanley do it if that's all the better either of the two guys they have are... Geesh

DL, TE, QB, RB are the spots I'm not even remotely worried about those are positions of strength. (unless Stanley gets hurt)

Rastetter isn't on scholarship, Gersonde is. And for those that want Stanley to punt, do you actually think he could do it if the other team actually knew he was punting? It's easy to pooch it when there isn't even a return man back there and nobody is trying to block it. What I'd like to see is Rastetter get to punt like a punter instead of the rugby stuff. He was fine when he'd punt for real, including the big one yesterday in the fourth quarter.

Rastetter isn't on scholarship, Gersonde is. And for those that want Stanley to punt, do you actually think he could do it if the other team actually knew he was punting? It's easy to pooch it when there isn't even a return man back there and nobody is trying to block it. What I'd like to see is Rastetter get to punt like a punter instead of the rugby stuff. He was fine when he'd punt for real, including the big one yesterday in the fourth quarter.

In an example of Kirk's stubbornness I don't think it's a coincidence that Gersonde hasn't punted since the Ohio State game when he tried to run for the first down. The Kirk haters do have a point when they see us rolling out Rastetter and his 25 yard punts when we have a punter on scholarship who has proven he's better.

In an example of Kirk's stubbornness I don't think it's a coincidence that Gersonde hasn't punted since the Ohio State game when he tried to run for the first down. The Kirk haters do have a point when they see us rolling out Rastetter and his 25 yard punts when we have a punter on scholarship who has proven he's better.

That was Rastetter that tried to run for the first not Gersonde.

Yes, it was Rastetter that took off. All I know is if Gersonde can't beat out someone as inept as Rastetter, he must have some serious deficiencies, which begs the question as to why he was given a sholly in the first place.

He's not on scholarship, dipsh@t.

Latest posts