Next season - depth chart and things that need to happen

WTF????

Are you mentally retarded?

How exactly did Ferentz hold anything against walk-on punter Rastetter after he decided to run on his punt attempt vs. OSU? He continued to be our punter the remainder of the season.
Sounds like some posters need to have their posting privileges revoked after posting so poorly.... Hahah, love the judgement when they can't get simple facts correct

WTF????

Are you mentally retarded?

How exactly did Ferentz hold anything against walk-on punter Rastetter after he decided to run on his punt attempt vs. OSU? He continued to be our punter the remainder of the season.

I must have got him confused with the other punter then In that case I was wrong and misspoke. It just seemed that the punting was better at the beginning o free season and got worse at the season went on.

Criticizing Kirk for his reaction when his punter decided unilaterally to run it on 4th and long, in his own territory is comical.

If anything, it could be argued that his reaction was too nice. Most coaches would have had a complete conniption and pulled a Woody Hayes. My previous coach, if still conscious, would have grabbed me by the facemask while he mercilessly kicked my ass until he could no longer lift his leg from exhaustion, then forced me to run laps for the rest of my life.

Criticizing Kirk for his reaction when his punter decided unilaterally to run it on 4th and long, in his own territory is comical.

If anything, it could be argued that his reaction was too nice. Most coaches would have had a complete conniption and pulled a Woody Hayes. My previous coach, if still conscious, would have grabbed me by the facemask while he mercilessly kicked my ass until he could no longer lift his leg from exhaustion, then forced me to run laps for the rest of my life.
I still don't buy it. If it's an actual play that the punter is allowed to make under certain circumstances and it didn't work, I'd make sure to say in the press that it ISN'T a play and that he did it on his own. Kirk would be mad that he tried it in that situation, and then in private tell him to say that it isn't normally an option.

I still don't buy it. If it's an actual play that the punter is allowed to make under certain circumstances and it didn't work, I'd make sure to say in the press that it ISN'T a play and that he did it on his own. Kirk would be mad that he tried it in that situation, and then in private tell him to say that it isn't normally an option.

Woulda gone for an easy 1st down had anyone blocked. But then getting first downs is less important than making defense/special teams carry 99% of the water. 3 and outs don't bother Kirk like they should.

Last edited:
I think that's a little short-sighted.

A big part of the issue was continually calling running plays against defenses that decided to blitz the gaps on zone running plays. That placed our offensive line in unwinnable situations. Of course, the lack of experience at both tackle positions played a big part as well, but Brian didn't do them any favors by not making teams pay for selling out against the run.

That said, there were some personnel issues. The Render/Reynolds combination at LG was borderline terrible at times, and the play of Welsh slipped a bit this season. Also, for all the accolades he gets, Daniels has a tendency to lunge and get off-balance, and he doesn't have ideal core strength.

It was kind of a perfect storm with inexperience, questionable play-calling and less than ideal performance at times.

If we can get better performance at LG, and Daniels stays, this unit has the potential to be a strength next season.
Woulda gone for an easy 1st down had anyone blocked. But then getting first downs is less important than making defense/special teams carry 99% of the water. 3 and outs don't bother Kirk like they should.
Does it give him time to SCRIBBLE on his knee?

You can't really expect the team to block for a fake when only the punter knows it is a fake.
And yes, getting the first down in that situation was not very important, seeing as Iowa was already up a billion and OSU's offense had all but stalled.

First sentence is absolutely correct. He may have gone for 40 if he gets that 1 block. The rest could be construed as conjecture.

I highly, repeat - highly - doubt that the punter has the option of taking off in that situation. Bielema used to do that, but I don't see Kirk allowing that option, especially when it's 4th and long in your own territory. But, every poster is entitled to their own little conspiracy-theory world.

Iowa needs some skill players to catch a pass...they have none. They can't get open. They are mostly ignored by the opponents.

Wrong guy, And Gersonde had an injury that he was/is dealing with.

Forgive my simplistic view...but what kind of injury keeps a 20 year old from punting a football? I was no D-1 athlete...but playing hurt was daily life. How bad was this kid hurt?

Forgive my simplistic view...but what kind of injury keeps a 20 year old from punting a football? I was no D-1 athlete...but playing hurt was daily life. How bad was this kid hurt?
Rumor has it that it was either a groin injury or a back injury. If you have had either, you would know punting would not be easy.

i like that you threw a list out there. i'll be stunned if the corner opposite hankins isn't ojimu or ragumba. i'll also be stunned if two nelsons aren't starting on the dline. I like your style though.

It is interesting that neither #1DieHardFan or Chad Leistokow mention Parker Hesse in their line ups. He will be a very valuable senior leader on the defense next year.
It will be interesting to see what happens to Parker next season. He has played very well his entire career, but will the more physically gifted AJE master the finer points of the position to become an every down DE next season?

My guess is the AJE will overtake Parker. Parker will the become the next man in at all DLine positions. Between subbing in for the DEs and the DTs, he will play about the same number of snaps a game he did this last season.

i like that you threw a list out there. i'll be stunned if the corner opposite hankins isn't ojimu or ragumba. i'll also be stunned if two nelsons aren't starting on the dline. I like your style though.
Right back at ya. ;)

Both of those positions are tough to predict. Rugamba has the ability and the moxie, but I worry that he could end up being a bit of a head case, and I wouldn't be shocked if he left the program. Ojemudia got benched immediately after coming in against Purdue. He's a bit stiff in the hips, and has always struck me as more of a FS. At the end of the day, I don't know how the coaches could keep Turner on the bench if he knows the defense. He's physically more gifted than Rugamba and Oje, and has a much higher ceiling.

As for the tackles, I could see M. Nelson starting, but if Nixon is as advertised and Lattimore makes off-season gains with Doyle, it's hard to see him beating either out. That position will be rotated a lot, so it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited:
It is interesting that neither #1DieHardFan or Chad Leistokow mention Parker Hesse in their line ups. He will be a very valuable senior leader on the defense next year.
I think he's just the odd man out. Nelson is guaranteed one spot, and it's almost impossible to imagine Epenesa won't be starting. My guess is, in passing situations, the coaches will move Epenesa inside and bring in Hesse, kind of like what they did with Ballard.

Latest posts