Next season - depth chart and things that need to happen

In an example of Kirk's stubbornness I don't think it's a coincidence that Gersonde hasn't punted since the Ohio State game when he tried to run for the first down. The Kirk haters do have a point when they see us rolling out Rastetter and his 25 yard punts when we have a punter on scholarship who has proven he's better.

Wrong guy, And Gersonde had an injury that he was/is dealing with.

There are a couple of OL that will challenge such as Kallenburger. He is very good just needs the size and strength.
I really like Kallenberger too, but I have a hard time seeing him at guard. Unless something happens, he's probably going to be stuck behind those two tackles for now. It's a good problem for the staff to have, but tough circumstances for him.

But, if he can adjust to guard and beat out Render, I'd be ecstatic. Sorry, but Render is flat out embarrassing at times for what is expected of offensive linemen at Iowa, and Reynolds is about the same. As I stated above, watch out for Jenkins. He's an underrated recruit that could immediately challenge at guard, or even center if Daniels declares.

Last edited:
Daniels is probably more likely to leave then stay
I think it's a coin flip... If he's told he'll be a 3rd rounder or higher pick he'd probably go. If it's 5th round or lower... I'd have to think about staying. He's got the potential to be very very good and the top center period in next years class. That could bank him millions more for his first contract. Yet leaving now starts his clock for getting to his 2nd contract and that's where the big money is. So it just depends... His decision isn't nearly as cut and dry as Jacksons is.

I agree on the punter thing. You at least need to bring in another body. That said...if the head coach was someone other than Kirk, I'd love to not play a punter at all. Make it clear that you're going to go for it at least 75% of the time in most situations where you need less than 5 on 4th down or when you're past the 50, and quick kick the rest of the time. That way you maximize the yards you get on your kicks and convert some more 4th down plays, especially with a more experienced QB next year.

From my perspective the biggest weakness on this years team was the offensive line.
Interesting that no one on here has mentioned it.
Doesnt matter how much potential the QB or RB's have if we cant control the line of scrimmage.
I did not see anything in this years line to make me confident about next year.
Do we need to bring in some JUCO help here?

From my perspective the biggest weakness on this years team was the offensive line.
Doesnt matter how much potential the QB or RB's have if we cant control the line of scrimmage.
Banks or Garopolo

I think that's a little short-sighted.

A big part of the issue was continually calling running plays against defenses that decided to blitz the gaps on zone running plays. That placed our offensive line in unwinnable situations. Of course, the lack of experience at both tackle positions played a big part as well, but Brian didn't do them any favors by not making teams pay for selling out against the run.

That said, there were some personnel issues. The Render/Reynolds combination at LG was borderline terrible at times, and the play of Welsh slipped a bit this season. Also, for all the accolades he gets, Daniels has a tendency to lunge and get off-balance, and he doesn't have ideal core strength.

It was kind of a perfect storm with inexperience, questionable play-calling and less than ideal performance at times.

If we can get better performance at LG, and Daniels stays, this unit has the potential to be a strength next season.

A good write-up by Chad Leistikow on his projections.

Offense

SE — Ihmir Smith-Marsette (soph.): Wide receiver will continue to be a question mark that it was in 2017 for the Hawkeyes. Smith-Marsette, though, clearly showed promise by launching himself into the rotation from the get-go as a true freshman.

TE — Noah Fant (jr.): Enjoyed a breakout season in his first year as a starter, showing a combination of size and speed that burned the linebackers and safeties who tried to cover him. The Omaha native wound up with 11 touchdown receptions, tops in the Big Ten.

LT — Tristan Wirfs (soph.): One of the many young players thrust into action this year, Wirfs ended up becoming the first true freshman in the Kirk Ferentz era to be a starting tackle.

LG — Ross Reynolds (sr.): Though he only made one start (in the season opener against Wyoming), the Waukee native was essentially a half-time starter in a rotation here with Keegan Render.

C — James Daniels (sr.): If he doesn't turn pro early, Daniels (an athletic 6-4, 295) will enter 2018 as one of the top centers in college football. He won't turn 21 until September, yet has already amassed 25 career starts. If he does choose to leave, redshirt sophomores Cole Banwart and Spencer Williams could be vying for this crucial spot.

RG — Keegan Render (sr.): Considering he has 20 career starts (19 at guard), he almost certainly will be somewhere inside on Iowa's 2018 offensive line.

RT — Alaric Jackson (soph.): Started 12 games at left tackle before being suspended for the bowl game for undisclosed reasons. At 6-7, 320, he should only get better.

TE — T.J. Hockenson (soph.): Became a clutch, crucial piece to offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s two-tight end offense as a redshirt freshman. Seventeen of his 24 receptions went for first downs, and he also showed excellent blocking skills that will only get better.

WR — Nick Easley (sr.): The walk-on from Newton became Iowa’s leading receiver in 2017 and should be on scholarship soon.

QB — Nate Stanley (jr.): Undoubtedly Iowa’s quarterback for the next two years after a strong true-sophomore season that saw him throw for 2,437 yards, 26 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

FB — Brady Ross (jr.): The fullback position isn’t going away at Iowa, and with Drake Kulick’s eligibility expired, Ross’ role will increase.

RB — Toren Young (soph.): With Akrum Wadley and James Butler moving on, the running-back position at Iowa gets a lot younger. The role will likely be shared, but Young has the size (5-11, 220) and durability to rack up the team’s most carries. Ivory Kelly-Martin could become the primary third-down back after an impressive true-freshman season. Incoming freshman Henry Geil might also play immediately.

PK — Miguel Recinos (sr.): Newly placed on scholarship, Recinos had an impressive first season as Iowa’s full-time placekicker, making 55 of his 57 total attempts. After beating out incumbent Keith Duncan for the role, the Mason City native was particularly solid on kickoffs. His emergence allowed Duncan to redshirt and preserve three years of eligibility.

Defense

LE — Anthony Nelson (jr.): The 6-foot-7, 260-pounder from Waukee was Iowa’s best edge rusher, and he keeps getting better. Nelson’s backup, Sam Brincks, played well this fall and will be in the rotation, too.

LT — Matt Nelson (sr.): Seemed to gain traction toward the end of his first season as 6-foot-8 defensive tackle after spending his first two playing seasons at defensive end. Replacing the gritty work of Nathan Bazata (37 career starts) will be difficult.

RT — Cedrick Lattimore (jr.): Needs to take a big step from his sophomore to junior year, as many Iowa defensive tackles in years past have done. Think Louis Trinca-Pasat. Incoming junior-college transfer Daviyon Nixon will compete for playing time, too.

RE — A.J. Epenesa (soph.): Putting the true sophomore here is no slight against Parker Hesse, who made his 34rd career start Wednesday and is a team leader. But it’s going to be hard to keep Epenesa out of the starting lineup after his first winter and spring with Chris Doyle.

WLB — Aaron Mends (sr.): “Where’s Mends?” has been a frequent question over the years. The supremely strong, fast player needs to improve on the mental side of the game. The prediction here is he puts it together for his fifth year, much like Cole Fisher did for Iowa in 2015.

MLB — Kristian Welch (jr.): Replacing Josey Jewell will be an impossible task, but somebody’s got to do it. Welch seems to have the inside track over Jack Hockaday and Amani Jones (who will also battle Mends at weak-side linebacker) at this point, though this will likely be an ongoing story that could spill into the season. Iowa has to get this one right.

OLB — Jake Gervase (sr.): Going out on a limb here, but when Phil Parker mentioned he might move a safety into this role in 2018, it would make sense if Gervase is that guy. If he can add five pounds to get to 6-1, 215, he could be the hybrid cover guy and run stopper that the Hawkeyes need as three-year starter Ben Niemann moves on. Also watch for Nick Niemann, Ben’s brother and a sophomore-to-be, to get a shot here.

LC — Manny Rugamba (jr.): The assumption here is that junior all-American Josh Jackson turns pro. Rugamba had a wobbly sophomore campaign. He was suspended for the season opener, then later lost his starting job after struggling against Purdue. Still, he has loads of talent and should be able to rebound.

SS — Amani Hooker (jr.): Became one of Iowa’s most impactful players in his true sophomore year, down to the finish when he made two touchdown-saving tackles against Boston College.

FS — Brandon Snyder (sr.): This will be an interesting story to follow. Snyder is recovering from his second ACL tear and also must work his way back into good standing after his December OWI arrest.

RC — Matt Hankins (soph.): Got his chance late in the year and ran with it; made seven tackles in the Pinstripe Bowl. Iowa has recruited a lot of defensive backs in the last two cycles as it tries to bolster its secondary, so the competition will be crowded.

P — Ryan Gersonde (soph.): A major weakness in 2017. Gersonde, who is on scholarship, got his chance midway through the season and showed a booming leg but wild inconsistency before an injury sidelined him down the stretch.

Dude I agree with the punter issue. If Stanley can pooch kick the damn thing for thirty yards hardly trying why couldn't he be the punter also. I know there's a risk of injury but I haven't seen any of our punters carried off the field of late so try it.
The punt/option on 4th downs could really be a thing. It limits what the opposing team can do in respect to the punt return. Any 4th down w/ 4 or less yards - let Stanley make the call based on what he sees when the ball arrives. Design and run it like the pistol...

Ok, this could be fun. Freely begin to point them out.
Rastetter on scholarship, Gersonde was out punting Rastetter, Gersonde was benched after attempting to run for the first down, the fact that it was Gersonde that had the ill fated run for the first down......

Good enough for you?

Rastetter on scholarship, Gersonde was out punting Rastetter, Gersonde was benched after attempting to run for the first down, the fact that it was Gersonde that had the ill fated run for the first down......

Good enough for you?

Oh you should know how I feel about this one. I noticed that immediately when it happened and commented on it when I realized what Kirk was doing there. Kirk was steamed on that play. How dare anyone disobey the holy one coach. Someone with a little gumption who doesn’t bow down and kiss the holy ones feet. A player who actually thought for himself. Not to be tolerated by King Kirk.

You read me wrong Jest I wasn’t directing that toward you. Your example is a perfect example of the KF’s pride and arrogance. Too bad he doesn’t apply it to winning titles and championships even though he is paid like he does.

I was one of his biggest supporters for many years, but that was because I thought he could get us eventually to play for a national championship. Not going to happen under KF. He just doesn’t recruit good enough to win the big one. When you get to the final four it’s real football for Big Boyz. What Alabama did to MSU and what Stanford did to us summed it all up.

Yes the kid made a mistake and should have punted the ball away, but to hold it against the kid forever is ridiculous. It we held that same standard against Kirk for his brain farts he should have been fired long ago. Talk about hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Oh you should know how I feel about this one. I noticed that immediately when it happened and commented on it when I realized what Kirk was doing there. Kirk was steamed on that play. How dare anyone disobey the holy one coach. Someone with a little gumption who doesn’t bow down and kiss the holy ones feet. A player who actually thought for himself. Not to be tolerated by King Kirk.

You read me wrong Jest I wasn’t directing that toward you. Your example is a perfect example of the KF’s pride and arrogance. Too bad he doesn’t apply it to winning titles and championships even though he is paid like he does.

I was one of his biggest supporters for many years, but that was because I thought he could get us eventually to play for a national championship. Not going to happen under KF. He just doesn’t recruit good enough to win the big one. When you get to the final four it’s real football for Big Boyz. What Alabama did to MSU and what Stanford did to us summed it all up.

Yes the kid made a mistake and should have punted the ball away, but to hold it against the kid forever is ridiculous. It we held that same standard against Kirk for his brain farts he should have been fired long ago. Talk about hypocrisy.

WTF????

Are you mentally retarded?

How exactly did Ferentz hold anything against walk-on punter Rastetter after he decided to run on his punt attempt vs. OSU? He continued to be our punter the remainder of the season.

Rastetter tried the fake on his own.
Yes, Kirk was not happy. But there was no need to fake as we were up a billion at that point.
How exactly has Kirk held it against him? Rastetter has punted every punt since then.
Explain that to me?

Latest posts