Next Penn State Coach?

Oh I think they'll pursue him but I also think/hope it will be a pretty short conversation: No thanks. These boards will no doubt be blowing up when Joe pa retires.

It makes sense to me that they would hire from within, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thinking. But if they were to look outside Harbough then Fitz would be at the top of my list if I was them. I think Leach and McCarney are both HC possibilities as well, but not for PSU. I could see Leach at CO and McCarney at MN, or vice versa.

I still think that if Ferentz leaves, it will be for an NFL job, but what do I know. I'd be especially shocked if he left us for another Big Ten program, but PSU would be a big job.

They will not, and KF will not leave.

I think they may pursue Fitz though.

Bruuuuuuce, I agree. Patty Futz has to be on PSU's short list.

Hey, how's Patty? Last time my buddy saw her, she was hammered drunk and smoking like a chimney at a hotel in Lexington, KY. Whazzup with that gal o' yours??

Eh - they don't call her parking lot patty for nothin'.

We're excited about the darkness release yesterday and working on some new material at my house in Jersey. Look for us on the road in 2011.

I bet they go young. 30 years from now they would DIE to have only two coaches over a 75 year span.

Harbaugh and Fits are obviously good fits because of personality and seemingly good character. (Except against Iowa) But I would also not overlook Al Golden at Temple. He is 41 but he is a Penn State Alum who would bring in new coaching blood, but still has all the Penn State ties. He even served on Joe's staff before getting D-Coordinator job at Virginia.

I know it is Temple, but I have heard his name pop-up a lot from Penn State Fans that I know from PA. Taking the worst FBS program from awful to contenders in the MAC is different from coaching at PSU, but he does seem like a hell of a coach.

They will not, and KF will not leave.

I think they may pursue Fitz though.

This.

I think Penn. St. wants to be like the Steelers, hire a young defensive minded coach and let him run the show for the next 15 to 20 years.

This is not something I worry about anymore. I hope Ferentz stays at Iowa for his entire career. But if he leaves, Iowa football will survive. No point in worrying about something you can't control.

This is not something I worry about anymore. I hope Ferentz stays at Iowa for his entire career. But if he leaves, Iowa football will survive. No point in worrying about something you can't control.

I worry, one bad hire and then the football program could very well end up like the basketball program. I know Barta is a good fundraiser and CEO type, but can he find and hire a good football coach?

They'll call, but he won't go. He's already had to replace one legend in his career, I doubt he'd jump at the chance to replace THE legend. Plus, I was under the impression that Jay Paterno was kinda the heir-apparent.

They will not rob another Big 10 team of their coach. That is very much frowned upon in the Big 10.

Boise State's coach or TCU's coach would be excellent choices. I wouldn't rule out Connecticut's coach or Gary Pinkel at Missouri either.

Kurt Ferentz has the chance to remembered as a great Iowa coach. If he left us for PSU there would be lots of hard feelings knocking him off of the legendary pedestal. Also, if he went to PSU this late in his career, he'd be remebered by them as just as the coach who followed JoePA for a short while.

Kurt Ferentz has the chance to remembered as a great Iowa coach. If he left us for PSU there would be lots of hard feelings knocking him off of the legendary pedestal. Also, if he went to PSU this late in his career, he'd be remebered by them as just as the coach who followed JoePA for a short while.

You've already begun to forget...

They'll call, but he won't go. He's already had to replace one legend in his career, I doubt he'd jump at the chance to replace THE legend. Plus, I was under the impression that Jay Paterno was kinda the heir-apparent.

Isn't Jay close to retirement age himself?

Possible candidates I can think of...

1) Ferentz: He's a Big Ten coach with plenty of experience. He's from Pennsylvania and while not associated with the university, he has great respect for PSU. Good success coaching, great success against PSU. Always praised for his coaching style (well, by everyone outside the critics in the fanbase) and ethic. Unlikely to leave, though like I said... he does like PSU.

2) Fitzgerald: It's no secret that JoePa likes Fitz (he was a LB after all). Like Ferentz, he's a fellow Big Ten coach. Not that much experience, but has brought Northwestern more into the picture. Young guy and lots of energy. Also owns the team that owns PSU, so.... However, I think Fitzgerald really likes coaching at his alma mater. Not sure if he'd leave to take the PSU job. Not saying he will never, but he seems pretty attached to his current job.

3) Al Golden: Former PSU player. Has had success at Temple, as of late. Probably would take the PSU job if offered, because there's only so far you can get coaching a MAC school.

Alex Agase left Nortwestern to coach Purdue.

John Pont left Northwestern to coach Indiana, or maybe it was the other way around.

Bo Schembechler was an assistant at Ohio State, but took the Michigan job.

Michigan tried to hire Ferentz before they decided on Rich Rod.

If Penn State wants Ferentz, no "code of honor" is going to stop them.

I would stop focusing on playcalling and "what ifs" and make sure your coach is completely happy.

Based on his last press conference, I would suggest that he is not happy at all right now.

Remember Lute Olson?

Latest posts