Next Nebraska Coach

Campbell would be a good hire. His players love him, he is a culture-first guy
What do Campbell, boat-rower and Frosty have in common?

None have beat Iowa. But, 2 of those are objectively successful coaches at the P5 level. The third is in way over his head.

Nebraska is hardly a shit job. Most agree they still draw attention from many talented recruits. It doesn't seem to be the degree of talent that's missing but more the leadership abilities / decision making at the top. The BIG is a good place to have a job and even more so moving forward. Alberts has opening stated he is looking for incremental progress from Frost. He's not looking for home runs at this stage. A new coach could be paid handsomely w/o blue blood short term expectations. A lot of upward opportunity for a potential new coach w/o high short term pressures and probably a nice pay check. Write your own check for the future if you could turn this program around significantly.

If in fact they make a coaching change this year I think they'll be able to put together a pretty strong offering for someone. I'm not convinced this season is over for them or Frost at this point. Way too early to project outcomes for the entire season...........the same goes for NW or many others. Three point game could have gone either way.

Nebraska should hire Jamey Chadwell from Costal Carolina. Costal Carolina runs what to me looks like a 2025 version of the wishbone, incorporating RPO principles. Sure, it’s a gimmick offense. But, that’s what Nebraska is historically. They are still a long time away from recruiting at an elite level and the offense doesn’t require many parts to make work. Chadwell won’t command a better job. I think they are a great fit for each other.
RPO is dead. It’s a gimmick like you said that elite P5 defenses have figured out now. It works great for directional schools in conferences no one’s ever heard of because those teams are just a notch above NAIA for the most part.

No matter who nebraska hires they are toast. They have no recruiting power whatsoever anymore, no matter what rankings say. Recruiting rankers are bullshit because 1) they aren’t coaches and have no actual experience with the sport, and 2) they miss more often than Mel Kiper which is a hell of a lot. If nebraska could recruit they’d be winning, and they aren’t winning. That’s not because of coaching, it’s because elite football players don’t want to go to that third world shit hole with a multi decade culture of losing.

Nebraska is hardly a shit job. Most agree they still draw attention from many talented recruits. It doesn't seem to be the degree of talent that's missing but more the leadership abilities / decision making at the top. The BIG is a good place to have a job and even more so moving forward. Alberts has opening stated he is looking for incremental progress from Frost. He's not looking for home runs at this stage. A new coach could be paid handsomely w/o blue blood short term expectations. A lot of upward opportunity for a potential new coach w/o high short term pressures and probably a nice pay check. Write your own check for the future if you could turn this program around significantly.

If in fact they make a coaching change this year I think they'll be able to put together a pretty strong offering for someone. I'm not convinced this season is over for them or Frost at this point. Way too early to project outcomes for the entire season...........the same goes for NW or many others. Three point game could have gone either way.
nebraska fans love to say that they could pay for any coach they want and blah blah blah. Sorry to tell you, it’s a shit job.

nebraska may have a bunch of money, but now so does everyone else in the Big Ten. Every team I. This conference and the SEC has a virtual Brinks truck backing up to the stadium now. nebraska is on the same level as anyone else.

The Nebraska job certainly isn't what it used to be, no doubt about that. But after another .500ish season Campbell won't be the hot property he was. The shine is coming of his "up and coming young star" bit. He'll have options but it's not gonna be tOSU, UCLA, Texas kind of options.

He may be content to ride it out at ISU where the expectations are modest, also thinking KFz is retiring soon so he can take over the state. <pause for comic relief>.

As for Nebraska's next coach, it looks like reality still hasn't set in over in Lincoln. They're tossing around names like Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops on the boards.
ISU might not be flashy, but Campbell has a lifetime contract like Ferentz and Fitz. He’s not dumb enough to purposely put himself in the car crash that has been the last 5 coaches no matter what the money.

Not if Scott Frost is your head coach.
nebraska fans love to say that they could pay for any coach they want and blah blah blah. Sorry to tell you, it’s a shit job.

nebraska may have a bunch of money, but now so does everyone else in the Big Ten. Every team I. This conference and the SEC has a virtual Brinks truck backing up to the stadium now. nebraska is on the same level as anyone else.
Your bias is easily seen often........especially with NE.

Perusing the husker forums I've seen the names Urban, Campbell, Leopold, and others thrown about. Even Bielema gets a mention. No one with any name recognition is going to UNL. This ain't the 90's. Mick Jagger is a geriatric. So are the fans longing for the good old days. This is the price they paid for all those natties. Keep Bobby Devaney sober enough to coach, and keep St. Tom's criminals out of jail long enough to with the big games. Eff them all.

RPO is dead. It’s a gimmick like you said that elite P5 defenses have figured out now. It works great for directional schools in conferences no one’s ever heard of because those teams are just a notch above NAIA for the most part.

No matter who nebraska hires they are toast. They have no recruiting power whatsoever anymore, no matter what rankings say. Recruiting rankers are bullshit because 1) they aren’t coaches and have no actual experience with the sport, and 2) they miss more often than Mel Kiper which is a hell of a lot. If nebraska could recruit they’d be winning, and they aren’t winning. That’s not because of coaching, it’s because elite football players don’t want to go to that third world shit hole with a multi decade culture of losing.

Nebraska isn't competing with the elite of the elite anymore. They are competing with Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and to a lesser degree Iowa St. Given the way the sport of football is trending...Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin are running gimmicky offenses. Hire the right dude and you can get to where you are winning 8,9,10 games a year. All it takes is someone in the hiring process, having self-awareness and a reality check.

Your bias is easily seen often........especially with NE.
Dispute it then. Nebraska is a shit program and has been for a long time. No current football players were alive when they were good.

They don’t have a huge money advantage anymore.

They don’t have numbers advantages anymore with scholarship limits.

They had to resort to 16 transfers this year.

Dispute it then. Nebraska is a shit program and has been for a long time. No current football players were alive when they were good.

They don’t have a huge money advantage anymore.

They don’t have numbers advantages anymore with scholarship limits.

They had to resort to 16 transfers this year.
16 transfers....and they still could not beat Northwestern. LOL

If Campbell wanted to jump ship from ISU he’d have much better offers than nebraska.

nebraska is where coaches go to die and money wouldn’t be the deciding factor. He knows he’d be committing career suicide no matter what the dollar figure was. No coach wants to go somewhere with a 99% of his legacy being what Callahan’s, Riley’s, and Frost’s are going to be.

People saying nebraska is a prestigious job are wrong. A couple coaches ago they might be able to make that argument, but they’ve been completely irrelevant for most of the past two decades. It’s a garbage job at a school that just happens to have ridiculous amounts of money. That’s it.

Campbell is smart enough to know that if he didn’t turn it around at NE his career as a P5 coach would be over. Just like Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley, and Frost. Until nebraska tempers it’s expectation for immediate success (which will never happen), that HC position is going to be a rotten egg.
The unknown is Alberts though. He's just taken over the AD gig and how's he going to run things? Does he have full reign or to what extent will he bend over to the big $ boosters? By no means is it a great job. I don't see Campbell considering it. He's turned down way better ones already.

But if Alberts is able to do things the right way how he wants with a good coach they can turn it around. It's not like Nebraska is Vandy. It's not totally hopeless. But it sure won't be a quick turnaround...

The unknown is Alberts
I've thought about this some. Were Frost and Alberts teammates? If not I'd guess they both won national titles while Huskers. I can't imagine how tough it would be for a former player to fire the QB of two national titles, I think it's two.

Au contraire say I. Nebraska will eventually get it right. I can't imagine how obno their fans will be. I'll likely be six feet under and won't care.

How long did it take Bama to replace Bear Bryant? 30 years to find Nick Saban. But in those 30 years they never gave up the desire to reach the pinnacle again. And, Nebraska won't either, they've had too much success and whatever it takes, they'll get back up there.