Next Nebraska Coach

longtimer

Just went to the Nebraska Board and to say they are going ballistic is an understatement. Of course Frost could survive as he has a really soft schedule with 2 gimmes coming up and no Michigan or Ohio State but I wouldn't count on it. The question I have does Campbell go to Nebraska? With the reorganization loking more like Iowa state on the outside is this the year Campbell looks to move?

I'm torn between wanting him to go down in flames and winning just enough every year to keep his job. I'll NEVER cheer for Nebby in any game and I love seeing him suffer, but I'm afraid they'd bring in some up and comer who actually builds a solid team instead of trying to win with a gimmick. I'll vote for him going down in flames and taking my chances that the next coach will flop as well.

Nebraska would be a great place for either Urban Meyer or Ed Orgeron. They would love the 'former national championship coach' label, and Coach O would at least be entertaining ala Pelini.

Campbell will never go to Nebraska. He doesn't want any part of that shit show. He's got it made where he's at.
Wouldn't be so sure. the "big" 12 is shaky, the B1G is looking at a sh**load of new money. Forget the recent records, Nebraska has resource$, history, fanbase etc that dwarf ISMoo.

If Campbell did as well as he has at ISMoo, fusker fans would be happy. They've been served a pretty heavy does of reality the last five years... the next coach won't be expected to win 10 every year...at least not for awhile.

Wouldn't be so sure. the "big" 12 is shaky, the B1G is looking at a sh**load of new money. Forget the recent records, Nebraska has resource$, history, fanbase etc that dwarf ISMoo.

If Campbell did as well as he has at ISMoo, fusker fans would be happy. They've been served a pretty heavy does of reality the last five years... the next coach won't be expected to win 10 every year...at least not for awhile.
If Campbell wanted to jump ship from ISU he’d have much better offers than nebraska.

nebraska is where coaches go to die and money wouldn’t be the deciding factor. He knows he’d be committing career suicide no matter what the dollar figure was. No coach wants to go somewhere with a 99% of his legacy being what Callahan’s, Riley’s, and Frost’s are going to be.

People saying nebraska is a prestigious job are wrong. A couple coaches ago they might be able to make that argument, but they’ve been completely irrelevant for most of the past two decades. It’s a garbage job at a school that just happens to have ridiculous amounts of money. That’s it.

Campbell is smart enough to know that if he didn’t turn it around at NE his career as a P5 coach would be over. Just like Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley, and Frost. Until nebraska tempers it’s expectation for immediate success (which will never happen), that HC position is going to be a rotten egg.

If Campbell wanted to jump ship from ISU he’d have much better offers than nebraska.

nebraska is where coaches go to die and money wouldn’t be the deciding factor. He knows he’d be committing career suicide no matter what the dollar figure was. No coach wants to go somewhere with a 99% of his legacy being what Callahan’s, Riley’s, and Frost’s are going to be.

People saying nebraska is a prestigious job are wrong. A couple coaches ago they might be able to make that argument, but they’ve been completely irrelevant for most of the past two decades. It’s a garbage job at a school that just happens to have ridiculous amounts of money. That’s it.

Campbell is smart enough to know that if he didn’t turn it around at NE his career as a P5 coach would be over. Just like Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley, and Frost. Until nebraska tempers it’s expectation for immediate success (which will never happen), that HC position is going to be a rotten egg.
The Nebraska job certainly isn't what it used to be, no doubt about that. But after another .500ish season Campbell won't be the hot property he was. The shine is coming of his "up and coming young star" bit. He'll have options but it's not gonna be tOSU, UCLA, Texas kind of options.

He may be content to ride it out at ISU where the expectations are modest, also thinking KFz is retiring soon so he can take over the state. <pause for comic relief>.

As for Nebraska's next coach, it looks like reality still hasn't set in over in Lincoln. They're tossing around names like Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops on the boards.

Last edited:
Nebraska should hire Jamey Chadwell from Costal Carolina. Costal Carolina runs what to me looks like a 2025 version of the wishbone, incorporating RPO principles. Sure, it’s a gimmick offense. But, that’s what Nebraska is historically. They are still a long time away from recruiting at an elite level and the offense doesn’t require many parts to make work. Chadwell won’t command a better job. I think they are a great fit for each other.

If I am Trev Alberts I go hard at Jim Leonhard. Like Matt Campbell, he probably says "I'm good where I'm at". But you try to sell him on building "Wisconsin West".

Nebraska should hire Jamey Chadwell from Costal Carolina. Costal Carolina runs what to me looks like a 2025 version of the wishbone, incorporating RPO principles. Sure, it’s a gimmick offense. But, that’s what Nebraska is historically. They are still a long time away from recruiting at an elite level and the offense doesn’t require many parts to make work. Chadwell won’t command a better job. I think they are a great fit for each other.

^^^^This is a really good call. Let's hope Trev Alberts isn't thinking that way.:)

Latest posts