Next Nebraska Coach

If Nebraska can buy a prestigious coach, then why did they just flush another year playing Frostball? I will tell you why. To save 8.5 million dollars. If money were no object, Frost would have been fired last year and they would have coughed up the 15 million and started rebuilding with a new coach this year. Alberts didn't have the money so had to swallow another season and get the buyout down to something he could afford. The notion that Frost could replace his entire offensive staff, and bring in 15 new starters and somehow have a good enough season to get another year was laughable. This was all just about saving cash and eating one more year of shit football. Nebraska is a shadow of what it used to be. Winning is secondary at that place behind money and a fake sell out streak.

Unfortunately, I agree with Z. Nebraska will eventually get this right. I agree that they have been irrelevant for 20+ years now, but they still pack 90,000 into that place and they own the state. They have the same money as everyone else around here. A top coordinator or HC in a smaller conference will take the pay raise and try to rebuild the program. As Fry has stated over and over and over again, hiring coaches is a crapshoot. Nebbie is, sadly, due for a lucky roll. Let's just enjoy the misery while it lasts.

16 transfers....and they still could not beat Northwestern. LOL
Let me preface by saying I am NOT a Nebraska fan but I seem to remember a program that didn't recruit a player alive when they were good. Had good but not Nebraska level fan support, was financially OK but not Nebraska level that hired a coach that turned it around and they have been a positive factor for a long time up till the present

Clearly Nebraska won't be the Nebraska of the Devaney and Osbourne era but could become good again

If Nebraska can buy a prestigious coach, then why did they just flush another year playing Frostball? I will tell you why. To save 8.5 million dollars. If money were no object, Frost would have been fired last year and they would have coughed up the 15 million and started rebuilding with a new coach this year. Alberts didn't have the money so had to swallow another season and get the buyout down to something he could afford. The notion that Frost could replace his entire offensive staff, and bring in 15 new starters and somehow have a good enough season to get another year was laughable. This was all just about saving cash and eating one more year of shit football. Nebraska is a shadow of what it used to be. Winning is secondary at that place behind money and a fake sell out streak.
I agree, but I wonder if this strategy takes Nebbie down the swirling drain even more, making it even harder to resurrect the program.

This Saturday, they had the full attention of the national football media and a lot of fans. That could've gone well for them, but it didn't. I listen to a lot of ESPNU on my SXM radion when I drive, and since Saturday, virtually every time I get in my car they are talking about the onsides kick, Frosty, and how far Nebby has fallen. That's a ton of serious negative press. It almost makes me want to puke as much as their linemen. :)

Dispute it then. Nebraska is a shit program and has been for a long time. No current football players were alive when they were good.

They don’t have a huge money advantage anymore.

They don’t have numbers advantages anymore with scholarship limits.

They had to resort to 16 transfers this year.
I think you are mostly right. On the positive side:

1. They are in the Big Ten ($). Exposure is good, too.
2. They have a rabid fanbase, a big stadium, and good facilities.

But:

1. They do not have the recruiting footprint they once had. That may be gone forever. Now they're just a school west of the Missouri River, but not in a cool area. Nice school, but...
2. They play in a division that pounds the ball and gets huge linemen from the midwest. Nebby has to recruit against that (IA, Minn, WI, NW, ILL, PU). I don't think they're doing well, and with each passing year, it gets worse, whereas those other teams are either status quo or improving. Most are still improving.
3. The inclusion of additional Big Ten schools will make it even harder for them (arguable, but maybe).
4. They are unstable as a program. Every year they have mass defections (defecations?), many transfers in, and now new coaches en masse. Not easy to go up against the other programs that have stability and guys working in the program for 4 or more years.

Trickery and pre-season media hype based on an image from 1995 will not get it done. Those D linemen got shoved out of the way on Saturday in the 4th quarter. Everyone wants to (rightfully) talk about the onsides kick, but after that Nebby got OWNED.

Dispute it then. Nebraska is a shit program and has been for a long time. No current football players were alive when they were good.

They don’t have a huge money advantage anymore.

They don’t have numbers advantages anymore with scholarship limits.

They had to resort to 16 transfers this year.
We know you have a real hard on for the Huskers, but I'd argue the Nebraska job will be more attractive this off-season than its been in years.

It's a solid middle of the pack Big Ten job. Outside of the SEC (if you include TX and OK), how many jobs in P5 are better than a mid-level Big Ten job? It's not a super long list.

The timing makes the job fairly attractive too. The Huskers go 5-7 or 3-9 and its fans go to the mat arguing without a tipped ball here or a bad call there and they'd be 9-3. Imagine how they'd worship a coach these days who actually went 9-3! I think they've been sufficiently humbled and beaten down now that they won't run anyone out of town anytime soon who can consistently win in the West.

There are some nuances to that fan interest that make the job a little more challenging, but it's also what provides some upside. In general (and within reason), most coaches rather be somewhere that the fans and administration consider football extremely important. Obviously the fans weren't reasonable in the past, but is that still true?

I think Iowa actually provides the best blueprint for Alberts (including for recruiting), and I'm worried he'll go the route of patiently building a hard-nosed, physical football team that can compete with Iowa and Wisconsin. I've said it before too, but it's also why (if I'm Alberts) I start taking a hard look at LeVar Woods and Jim Leonhard.

No one here is considering their lack of recruiting ability compared to what it was even 10 years ago. It's zilch and getting worse every year. And I'm not talking about the ranking services...like I've said before, beyond the top 20 or 30 recruits in the country it's all just a mish mash and none of those rankers have any football experience or acumen whatsoever.

What I'm talking about is the product. It's abundantly clear that nebraska can't get anyone in the door who can play at a level that would produce division championships. Frost this year had his own recruits and still had to bring in 16 transfers. And people who think that'd change with a different coach...that's just obtuse.

nebraska is in the middle of a desert for all intents and purposes, with absolutely nothing attractive about it. You know why guys like Frazier and Larry Phillips and Armpunt went there? It wasn't because of Runzas. It was because Ozzy Osborne cheated his way to victories and you could be a criminal there with no fear of any repercussions. It was because nebraska had advantages. They had more money than everyone else. They had a recent history of winning. They had a lax attitude to criminality.

2022 nebraska has absolutely nothing appealing to a true 4 or 5 star recruit. We are biased because we all remember when nebraska was something, but none of these kids do. To them it's just a shithole in a cornfield that gets below zero in the winter where they won't know who the coach is from year to year, and hasn't had a winning season since they were in elementary school.

I've thought about this some. Were Frost and Alberts teammates? If not I'd guess they both won national titles while Huskers. I can't imagine how tough it would be for a former player to fire the QB of two national titles, I think it's two.
Not sure if they overlapped or not. Regardless firing Frost isn't what he wants to do. But another loss or 2 like that and he's damn well got to. My guess is he won't fire him during season unless the wheels just totally come off. But 5-6 wins total shouldn't cut it. That's what the whole pay cut and lowing his buyout was all about.

Talk about too soon to predict but what's his next gig going to be? No chance it's as an HC in D1. Special teams coordinator at a directional school? HA

No one here is considering their lack of recruiting ability compared to what it was even 10 years ago. It's zilch and getting worse every year. And I'm not talking about the ranking services...like I've said before, beyond the top 20 or 30 recruits in the country it's all just a mish mash and none of those rankers have any football experience or acumen whatsoever.

What I'm talking about is the product. It's abundantly clear that nebraska can't get anyone in the door who can play at a level that would produce division championships. Frost this year had his own recruits and still had to bring in 16 transfers. And people who think that'd change with a different coach...that's just obtuse.

nebraska is in the middle of a desert for all intents and purposes, with absolutely nothing attractive about it. You know why guys like Frazier and Larry Phillips and Armpunt went there? It wasn't because of Runzas. It was because Ozzy Osborne cheated his way to victories and you could be a criminal there with no fear of any repercussions. It was because nebraska had advantages. They had more money than everyone else. They had a recent history of winning. They had a lax attitude to criminality.

2022 nebraska has absolutely nothing appealing to a true 4 or 5 star recruit. We are biased because we all remember when nebraska was something, but none of these kids do. To them it's just a shithole in a cornfield that gets below zero in the winter where they won't know who the coach is from year to year, and hasn't had a winning season since they were in elementary school.
Exactly he's had plenty of time to get 'his guys' in there. Yet he went wild with the transfer portal this yr with like 8 of them being in the starting lineup. That was him pushing the panic button. Adrian Martienz gave them the finger on his way down to KSU and had next to nothing nice to say about his time there. He was thrown under the bus by Frost at every turn. Too bad such a good former QB and offensive coach couldn't coach up a talented kid like him huh?

Granted it goes way further than just that QB dynamic that they had going but that's the simplistic way to look at it. You swing and miss on a multi year starting QB and it sets you back (Unless you have a monster defense and prioritize special teams you can sometimes overcome it)

You don't need a roster of 4 and 5 star recruits to compete in the West. You don't think the right coach at Nebraska could recruit at a level to have them competitive with Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern?

Exactly he's had plenty of time to get 'his guys' in there. Yet he went wild with the transfer portal this yr with like 8 of them being in the starting lineup. That was him pushing the panic button. Adrian Martienz gave them the finger on his way down to KSU and had next to nothing nice to say about his time there. He was thrown under the bus by Frost at every turn. Too bad such a good former QB and offensive coach couldn't coach up a talented kid like him huh?

Granted it goes way further than just that QB dynamic that they had going but that's the simplistic way to look at it. You swing and miss on a multi year starting QB and it sets you back (Unless you have a monster defense and prioritize special teams you can sometimes overcome it)
They suck at playing defense and special teams. Period. They also have a coach that makes bad in-game decisions, throws people under the bus, and blames people. He also says really weird stuff, publicly.

I hope Martinez has a great year at KSU. He seems like a good kid.

You don't need a roster of 4 and 5 star recruits to compete in the West. You don't think the right coach at Nebraska could recruit at a level to have them competitive with Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern?
I'm mildly afraid they'll get a guy that will learn how to compete and win in our division. Other teams recruit the midwest heavily, develop big dudes who get really strong, and play fundamental football (see Iowa, Wisky, Minn, and NW). Purdue has some of those elements, plus an explosive offense. Illinois may be on their way.

Nebby thinks they can recruit (and get transfers) nationally and they DO get some great skill players. They just don't have the core (culture or athletes).

Having said that, it will take a while for any coach after they transition, people leave, and the other aforementioned teams get better recruits for a few more years.

Exactly. The Nebbie job has a lot of upside. Hell, they hired a guy and let him lose for 5 straight seasons. Job security is awesome!!! Fans show up no matter what. They are 80 years old and ghostly white, but they are there. Recruiting is hard, but the same for every other team in the division. There are Runzas.....

They suck at playing defense and special teams. Period. They also have a coach that makes bad in-game decisions, throws people under the bus, and blames people. He also says really weird stuff, publicly.

Their D has actually been the strength of their team the last couple years (15th in defensive efficiency last year), but Frost continually puts them in lousy position with a turnover-prone offense and bumbling special teams (129th out of 130 teams in ST efficiency). But they graduated a ton on D last year, so the team might be even worse this year.

Last edited:
Their D has actually been the strength of their team the last couple years (15th in defensive efficiency), but Frost continually puts them in lousy position a turnover-prone offense and bumbling special teams (129th out of 130 teams in ST efficiency). But they graduated a ton on D last year, so the team might be even worse this year.
You might say Frost isn't very detail-oriented. That and leadership seem to be his two biggest issues. Tough to be a successful HC if you suck at the two most important factors in being a good HC.

You’re still missing it.

Nebraska can’t and doesn’t get the kinds of recruits to compete in the west. And they won’t. Those days are gone.

They did put a lot on Adrians shoulders while he was there. I bet he could write a book about his time there. He turned it over a boat load. But he was put in some tough situations and never had an Oline worth a crap. It'd be curious if he'd endorse future QBs to go play for him. Doesn't seem like it.

You’re still missing it.

Nebraska can’t and doesn’t get the kinds of recruits to compete in the west. And they won’t. Those days are gone.
Am I? I'd argue their last two hires didn't get the right recruits to win in the West. Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern all have some significant recruiting challenges, but each has found a coach that's been able to build a competitive program. Explain to me how Nebraska can't recruit at a level to compete with those 3 schools, much less with Purdue or Illinois.

Their D has actually been the strength of their team the last couple years (15th in defensive efficiency last year), but Frost continually puts them in lousy position with a turnover-prone offense and bumbling special teams (129th out of 130 teams in ST efficiency). But they graduated a ton on D last year, so the team might be even worse this year.
Agree that their D was better last year, but there (if I read the stats right) 5 Big Ten West defenses ahead of them in the category of scoring defense. Big ten west is tough in this category.

If you momentarily forget about the onside kick, Northwestern O line dominated Nebraska's D line on Saturday.

Am I? I'd argue their last two hires didn't get the right recruits to win in the West. Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern all have some significant recruiting challenges, but each has found a coach that's been able to build a competitive program. Explain to me how Nebraska can't recruit at a level to compete with those 3 schools, much less with Purdue or Illinois.
I did in the last few posts above. I quite literally listed the reasons they don't get recruits.

Latest posts