Next Head Coach at Iowa.

I don't think you guys understand. 1.) Kirk may be here for a long time. He used to go on and on about his admiration for Joe Pa's tenure, before he learned Joe Pa enabled child molestation/rape. Kirk doesn't speak of Joe Pa anymore. A couple years ago he stated he'd like to go for 10 more years. 2.) Even if he does leave soon, Gary yes-man Barta will put Brian in charge. Brian Ferentz comes across as having a massive ego. Though he has little experience running an offense, I think he will age like cheese and become better before he becomes worse. It's gonna be Kirk or Brian. Pick your poison.
That's certainly a possibility.. 10 more years can't be considered an impossibility. Regardless of how unlikely that might be. I would think as he gets older and things continue to evolve in ways we don't even know how yet he may be more apt to step down within 5 yrs or so as opposed to 10 but heck if I know. Anyones guess in regards to how long KF will stick around is as good as mine ultimately

Kirk is happy with a 7-5 season and a bowl, coaches to win (or lose) at the end, is content with boredom ball, doesn't/didn't mind a tie game.

He is a grinder, stubborn, immovable, arrogant, writes his own "performance goals"...he will stay as long as it takes to make sure his son is the "next Ferentz in."

You guys think Barta will be creative enough to find an up and comer? No way. Barta goes the easy route, drops a 5.5 mil a year contract into BFs lap with a huge buyout.
Agree. But still Barta does not MAKE final final. Boss with gold does.Regent or President does.Contract already done! Just not signed off on. bf?

How about Craig Bohl? He was the head coach of the Bizon before heading to Wyoming. I’ve always thought he was the guy who did the heavy lifting at NDSU and got them to the routine national championship level. He’s older though as well, plus is a Nebraska alum and letterman. Hell, he even coached at Nebby during the late Osborne & Solich years.

Overall, more importantly to me is a new AD first. After Barta is out, then a new head coach. I think Iowa has the stroke now to get a pretty damned good coach. I also like the idea of new blood, an up & comer who is hungry and innovative. Time to shake things up in Iowa City.

But, I’m afraid we have 30 more years of Ferentz & Co. being on the head coaches office.

I honestly believe Iowa will have a Ferentz at the helm for the next 35 years. What remains to be seen is if a grandchild begins to emerge at some point. Is there a male grandchild out there yet? We have 35 years to get him ready.

Then again...how long does it take to teach him to run into 8 man fronts.

The young lad only has to remember 7 plays. Hell, my twin boys on their 6 grade youth football team probably know 12 plays.

Havent a clue as to why this thread was even started. Kirk will be here as long as he wants. But Barta on the other hand may not due to recent health issues. If Kirk takes the AD job, look for Brian to get the job. If Iowa hires a new AD outside of the Iowa family tree then it may be anything goes. In that scenario, I would think along the lines that Brian would get a look as would Phil Parker and Ken O’Keefe. I think Bob Stoops would get the obligatory phone call to see if interested. After that I think Mike Stoops would also get a look. If an AD was to look outside of the program then I wouldnt mind a guy like David Shaw of Stanford to get a call.

The OP is telling a funny joke, right? Buy out KF for a guy who can't get buy-in (or wins) at the greatest program that has ever graced this planet?

How about Craig Bohl? He was the head coach of the Bizon before heading to Wyoming. I’ve always thought he was the guy who did the heavy lifting at NDSU and got them to the routine national championship level. He’s older though as well, plus is a Nebraska alum and letterman. Hell, he even coached at Nebby during the late Osborne & Solich years.

Overall, more importantly to me is a new AD first. After Barta is out, then a new head coach. I think Iowa has the stroke now to get a pretty damned good coach. I also like the idea of new blood, an up & comer who is hungry and innovative. Time to shake things up in Iowa City.

But, I’m afraid we have 30 more years of Ferentz & Co. being on the head coaches office.

I think Craig Bohl is in his 60's so he probably doesn't have that many years left coaching.

I think Craig Bohl is in his 60's so he probably doesn't have that many years left coaching.

I do think the standard has changed. People who take care of them self can be pretty healthy into 80s. Many blow past 90. I don't think 70 is a big deal.

LMAO! You can’t be serious.. No way in the world would Frost be HC at Iowa. Most absurd thing I’ve read.. Coaches who lose to Troy aren’t taking Iowa to the next level.
LMAO! You can’t be serious.. No way in the world would Frost be HC at Iowa. Most absurd thing I’ve read.. Coaches who lose to Troy aren’t taking Iowa to the next level.
I think you need to distinguish between Frost as a coach and Frost as a fit in the Nebraska system. At UCF, Frost went from a 6-7 record in 2016 to 13-0 with a Peach Bowl win in 2017. He has the talent but is not a good fit at Nebraska. I think Iowa affords him the ability to to be a top performing coach at the level he was used to at UCF. Is his potential hire any more absurd than bringing in Hayden Fry in the late 70's? And how many thought we missed the boat with Kirk being hired instead of Stoops? You can't blame Frost for the Nebraska Culture that he was brought into. Iowa has a much better Atmosphere for an up-and-comer like Frost.

I think you need to distinguish between Frost as a coach and Frost as a fit in the Nebraska system. At UCF, Frost went from a 6-7 record in 2016 to 13-0 with a Peach Bowl win in 2017. He has the talent but is not a good fit at Nebraska. I think Iowa affords him the ability to to be a top performing coach at the level he was used to at UCF. Is his potential hire any more absurd than bringing in Hayden Fry in the late 70's? And how many thought we missed the boat with Kirk being hired instead of Stoops? You can't blame Frost for the Nebraska Culture that he was brought into. Iowa has a much better Atmosphere for an up-and-comer like Frost.

Agree 100% with not blaming Frost for the Nebraska Culture that he was brought into. But with that said he's part of that culture now and I don't want to see that culture brought here. If things continue at the pace they are going, he may be well out of a job at Nebby, and into his next gig, long before we are even looking for our next HC.

We need an Iowa guy, or at least a coach that understands, as did Fry and also Ferentz that success in the B1G is built around offensive and defensive lines> These flavor of the month coaches like Frosty and Fleck are jokes and won't be around long. Frost's system might work in Florida, but not here.
I guess you are right. How silly of me to think that a successful coach in Florida could have continued success in The Big 10. Maybe somebody should inform Urban Meyer.

This is kinda "Iowa sexy"....haha

Someone that will make Iowa football look sexy.
giphy.gif

I guess you are right. How silly of me to think that a successful coach in Florida could have continued success in The Big 10. Maybe somebody should inform Urban Meyer.
Iowa is not Ohio State. The talent that Ohio State gets just won't happen at Iowa, I wish it would. But you missed my point, to compete in the B1G you need someone who understands that it is the offensive and defensive lines that determine success in a cold weather conference, competing against like teams. Nebraska can have top 10 recruiting classes from here until the end of time, but if they are all skill players, it does not matter. Coaches that have played and coached for Fry, Ferentz, Alvarez, Bielema, Chyrst get it. The Rich Rods/Frosts and any other skippy offense of the month club coach will not. Frost should know better having played for Nebraska teams that used to be physical, but I think he may have convinced himself that is was his offensive genius that got it done in Florida. It won't work in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Scott Frost's system has almost nothing in common with what has been done in Iowa. I guess if you find the program at Iowa essentially worthless and want to do a redo from scratch that would be the route to go.

Not hiring BF or another internal candidate means there will be a complete turnover of the current staff. There's always a possibility that a coupe are asked to stay but IA is not big into the whole change thing. Best Case for Brian is that Kirk stays on for a few more years, then turns the reigns over.