Next Head Coach at Iowa.

This will be an interesting topic for sure down the road. How much further who knows and what names will be popping up who knows. Frost sure as hell won't be one of them though.. The interesting name to me may be Fleck. Hearing his comments this week when asked about Iowa it almost felt like he was throwing his hat in the ring for a job that isn't open yet... He seemed really well if not jealous very admiring of the position KF and the program overall.

This to me is why I think just handing the keys to BF would be a mistake without seeing what other options are out there. Most all really good coaches both established and the up and comers would covet the Iowa job. Iowa basically is a lifetime gig if you don't mess it up. Granted I think the right type of fit is also needed. The Mike Leaches, Bobby Petrino types wouldn't remotely fit. So it'll be an interesting few weeks whenever this day comes

We need an Iowa guy, or at least a coach that understands, as did Fry and also Ferentz that success in the B1G is built around offensive and defensive lines> These flavor of the month coaches like Frosty and Fleck are jokes and won't be around long. Frost's system might work in Florida, but not here.

Who is going to be an "Iowa" guy. Anyone from the Fry era is going to be "old". KF doesn't have a big coaching tree.

That leaves...BF.

I think, if BF could be a good coach.
He has a long way to go. I'm talking a good run.
Like owning the b10 west for a run of 3 years.
With 1 or 2 b10 championship wins.
Otherwise I say we go the route of taking a bottom feeder P5 teams coach. One with some success.
Brohm, Campbell are both that.
I like that PJ is learning. He is acting different, at least on camera. He is winning a little, but he has a ways to go. (2-3 years more will probably do him good). Frost. Absolutely not. He doesn't fit here and has a pretty iffy resume. He should have and probably would have ended up at a bottom feeder p5 program for 5 years first, hadn't he been Nebraska's golden boy. I don't care how many talking heads said he was a hot commodity.
The opinions of media carry very little weight with me.

What would make you think BF would be a good coach?

We need an Iowa guy, or at least a coach that understands, as did Fry and also Ferentz that success in the B1G is built around offensive and defensive lines> These flavor of the month coaches like Frosty and Fleck are jokes and won't be around long. Frost's system might work in Florida, but not here.

Next coach would definitely have to understand the culture of success at IOWA. ie: what makes it work.

Recruiting is tough, so they'd need a clear strategy and the skills to make it work. This is one of the things that Kirk "gets" and he's found a way to make it work. Hayden did too.

The up side for the new guy... he knows he'll have fans in the stands, great alum support and everything he needs... infrastructure-wise to succeed.

None of those 4 guys would be realistic candidates and in-conference moves are rare and awkward. I don't want so much as a visit...from anybody who's spent significant time in Ames. (I'll give Dan McCarney a pass...he's an IOWA guy through and through).

Last edited:
Fleck would not fit at Iowa.
I'm not going to say he would necessarily but I'm curious why you may think he wouldn't. I find him interesting. All the 'row the boat' stuff is fluff. I watched some of that Fleck show deal that was on when he first got the MN gig and I kinda think he's genuine. I think he isn't a gimiky coach with his style of play. I think he's aggressive with recruiting and the strategy he's taken with it is just a temporary thing till he's more established. He's not trying to rebuild ND or Texas where the recruiting should be the easy part. MN would be a really tough job for anyone to step into like he did/when he did. So I dunno, my opinion on him isn't completely formed but I don't despise him or totally rule him out as being a possible fit.

I forgot how old he is (51). Someone a bit younger and a successful OC or DC at the FBS level or a hidden gem @ a G5 or even FCS school. I agree that with our bankroll we should be able to attract a good share of interest from a fair number of coaches. The potential stability we'd offer has got to be a selling point. Two HC's each with 20 year tenures. I just want a new AD before any of this happens though.

I'd agree that we would need a new AD prior to the search. There are excellent coaches at every level out there. We know that they can coach because of their records, but can they recruit and manage a big time program to the level we, as fans, expect?

We need another Fry with the passion to take a team to the next level.

If you will respond to that OP...you will respond to anything. I'm sure my IQ dropped a few points after I got through the third sentence....just for thinking about that post.

You have to take one of the following, whom do you choose?
  • Scott Frost
  • Jeff Brohm
  • Matt Campbell
  • PJ Fleck
I think I rate them: Brohm/Campbell 1A/1B, Frost #3, Fleck #4.

Ignoring the regional up-and-comers, I think Phil Parker gets a much deserved 5 year run once KF hangs it up.

I like the idea of Phil Parker to head coach and KF to AD. It's worked at Wisconsin and also that school out West when they made a change in the 70's.

I'm not going to say he would necessarily but I'm curious why you may think he wouldn't. I find him interesting. All the 'row the boat' stuff is fluff. I watched some of that Fleck show deal that was on when he first got the MN gig and I kinda think he's genuine. I think he isn't a gimiky coach with his style of play. I think he's aggressive with recruiting and the strategy he's taken with it is just a temporary thing till he's more established. He's not trying to rebuild ND or Texas where the recruiting should be the easy part. MN would be a really tough job for anyone to step into like he did/when he did. So I dunno, my opinion on him isn't completely formed but I don't despise him or totally rule him out as being a possible fit.

I don't dislike him at all. For sure he's been through a lot in life.

What won't fit Iowa is this...not directly, but there is a general direction to it. KF survives because we is so....Iowa. An image of clean and conservative. Just won't fly here compared to KF and HF. When I see Fleck running out on the field it reminds me of Bob Commings and Iowa teams running out. BC was for sure pumped. Then again I can't stand seeing football players holding hands.

Some fans may think they want it, but it would be a better fit for ISU, not Iowa or most any other Big program. Fans are used to Hawk coaches not seeking attention. Just don't think it would work.
Cmh1ttVUIAAHQGz.jpg

AR-171029674.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

upload_2018-10-5_10-28-23.jpeg
1407256132000-HaydenFry.jpg

images

Last edited:
What would make you think BF would be a good coach?
He's young. Got a little fire in his belly.
Granted his ol days of coaching were.....meh, but he worked with what he had and recruiting, be it new coach or not, recruiting has improved. Greg Davis and that whole deal kind of proved the OC at least has a little say in who coaches on O. TE's seem to rain down massive talent where ever he goes.
I also could see Parker getting a 3-5 year shot.
Moving Morgan to DC.

I think if you go outside the program, you go with the attitude of, no, we decide who we want to dance with. Not your average school. Not your avg job.
Coaches have said they envy the HC at Iowa because of what we offer. So don't sell the job short.

Last edited:
Kleiman would seem to be a good fit, but he's already 51 and quite settled in Fargo.

Shit, he could have two more coaching stops in that 51 year old body. There is something to be said about his dedication at ND. I think he could be interested in the Iowa job just because Iowa gives quite a cushion to coaches and jobs are pretty safe if you at least do half-ass. I would think that would be enticing for a lot of coaches, even an older successful coach that just wants the stability.

I've said before that when Kirk steps down I would rather see them hire an outsider rather than someone within the program just to get new blood into the system. Nothing against Brian, but I've seen nothing from him (other than his name) that makes me think he'd be a good successor and I don't want to see a current coach from a rival program take the reigns when that time comes.

That's not saying any of the above would fail, but to me a rival is a rival and remains a rival after their time with that program ends. I've lived it first hand in juco hoops when my SCC Blackhawks went down the path of hiring former Indian Hills coaches and despite the fact that they've all been successful and done good things to the program it was still took some time to accept them and that's something I'd rather not have to go through again.

He's young. Got a little fire in his belly.
Granted his ol days of coaching were.....meh, but he worked with what he had and recruiting, be it new coach or not, recruiting has improved. Greg Davis and that whole deal kind of proved the OC at least has a little say in who coaches on O.

I also could see Parker getting a 3-5 year shot.
Moving Morgan to DC.

I think if you go outside the program, you go with the attitude of, no, we decide who we want to dance with. Not your average school. Not your avg job.
Coaches have said they envy the HC at Iowa because of what we offer. So don't sell the job short.

Understand. I personally would favor Parker and for maybe longer than one might think.

I don't dislike him at all. For sure he's been through a lot in life.

What won't fit Iowa is this...not directly, but there is a general direction to it. KF survives because we is so....Iowa. An image of clean and conservative. Just won't fly here compared to KF and HF. When I see Fleck running out on the field it reminds me of Bob Commings and Iowa teams running out. BC was for sure pumped. Then again I can't stand seeing football players holding hands.

Some fans may think they want it, but it would be a better fit for ISU, not Iowa or most any other Big program. Fans are used to Hawk coaches not seeking attention. Just don't think it would work.
Cmh1ttVUIAAHQGz.jpg

AR-171029674.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

View attachment 4329
1407256132000-HaydenFry.jpg

images
Yeah he's certainly a self promoter there's no doubt about that... And KF is most certainly the opposite of that. So if that's a preference you prefer I can get down with that for sure. However with the times a changing how many guys out there are more similar to KF as opposed to Fleck?

I haven't totally formed my opinion on BF either.. I'm trying to be open minded to what feels like the inevitability of that most likely being what happens... One of the biggest things I would like about it if he got the gig is the continuity of it. He'll have the benefit of all the good will that his dad will have built up over the years in the recruiting circles (I don't think that can be undersold as tough as it is to recruit at Iowa to start with) Most any other incoming new coach would have a learning curve for a lack of a better term for it. And with BF being a hometown kid having grown up in IC played there with his folks most likely retiring there I'd think it'd be his destination gig and he wouldn't be going anywhere looking to jump ship (like Bielema) So there's some big positives to him maybe getting it too. So we'll see in what may be a few short years who knows..

I don't think you guys understand. 1.) Kirk may be here for a long time. He used to go on and on about his admiration for Joe Pa's tenure, before he learned Joe Pa enabled child molestation/rape. Kirk doesn't speak of Joe Pa anymore. A couple years ago he stated he'd like to go for 10 more years. 2.) Even if he does leave soon, Gary yes-man Barta will put Brian in charge. Brian Ferentz comes across as having a massive ego. Though he has little experience running an offense, I think he will age like cheese and become better before he becomes worse. It's gonna be Kirk or Brian. Pick your poison.

I don't think you guys understand. 1.) Kirk may be here for a long time. He used to go on and on about his admiration for Joe Pa's tenure, before he learned Joe Pa enabled child molestation/rape. Kirk doesn't speak of Joe Pa anymore. A couple years ago he stated he'd like to go for 10 more years. 2.) Even if he does leave soon, Gary yes-man Barta will put Brian in charge. Brian Ferentz comes across as having a massive ego. Though he has little experience running an offense, I think he will age like cheese and become better before he becomes worse. It's gonna be Kirk or Brian. Pick your poison.
b51b300f5927c8892acd2ff44d4ea547.gif

I honestly believe Iowa will have a Ferentz at the helm for the next 35 years. What remains to be seen is if a grandchild begins to emerge at some point. Is there a male grandchild out there yet? We have 35 years to get him ready.

Then again...how long does it take to teach him to run into 8 man fronts.

Latest posts