Next Expansion requires 2 teams

The premise that the B10 MUST expand again to "keep up" is a false one to begin with. Adding teams makes the pie slices smaller. But it could happen if the B12 completely unravels, which is an obvious possibility.

Same old crap. This whole subject was hashed out about a week ago. Let's show some originality.

Whenever this subject comes up, somebody mentions Pitt. Pitt's chances of joining the Big Ten are only slightly better than Silo Tech's chances. Pitt does not bring television sets to the table & does not increase the conference's foot print.

The bottom line is that the BTN is going to drive how and why we expand. They get what, $2 per subscriber?

Pitt is a nice talking point but what do they really bring to the table besides being second fiddle in their own state and having their biggest rival be West Virginia?

Texas? They've made their bed. They are well on their way to becoming an independent in my estimation.

Notre Dame? How many times do we need to go down this road with them? Miller is right, unless they come out and say invite us, they're not getting an invite.

If we expand, I fully expect that it would be Mizzou and Maryland. This locks up the KC, St. L, Baltimore/DC markets.

The other top candidates in my mind would be Syracuse (biggger deal in NYC than Rutgers) and Boston College.

IF the B1G is forced to expand to 14 (or gasp, 16), one of the teams would have to be ND.

It's that simple.

I think Texas has positioned its self to become an independent. I mean think about it, it fits the Texan mentality to a Tee. They dont care what happens to the b12. They will receive somewheres in the neighborhood of 10.9 million a year over the next 20 years. Screw Texas and ND, they both will hold out. I would rather have Oklahoma, or rutgers/maryland anyday over them. Oklahoma is gonna to go somewhere and they bring alot of sports to the table. Weather its the ACC, SEC, or the B10. Id rather have OU than Mizzu. get the best possible 14 team conference and roll with it. 16 is too many i believe.

The premise that the B10 MUST expand again to "keep up" is a false one to begin with. Adding teams makes the pie slices smaller. But it could happen if the B12 completely unravels, which is an obvious possibility.

Good points - that being said, the loss of revenue from the smaller pie could potentially be offset by getting the BTN into new markets. New markets = more money.

The other top candidates in my mind would be Syracuse (biggger deal in NYC than Rutgers) and Boston College.

Where does this Syracuse crap come from? I've written this many times & it drives me nuts. Penn State is actually closer to metropolitan New York than Syracuse. As of matter of fact, if you go forty miles west of Syracuse you are actually closer to Cleveland.

Iowa City is about twenty-fives miles closer to metropolitan Chicago than Syracuse is to Greater New York. For somebody who supposedly lives in Asbury Park, the armpit of the Jersey shore, you seem ignorant of geography.

Where does this Syracuse crap come from? I've written this many times & it drives me nuts. Penn State is actually closer to metropolitan New York than Syracuse. As of matter of fact, if you go forty miles west of Syracuse you are actually closer to Cleveland.

Iowa City is about twenty-fives miles closer to metropolitan Chicago than Syracuse is to Greater New York. For somebody who supposedly lives in Asbury Park, the armpit of the Jersey shore, you seem ignorant of geography.

I think it might be that there a great deal of Syracuse fans in NY State, and therefore New York City. Theoretically, if Syracuse comes on board, the BTN comes on board throughout the entire state as well.

Someone want to remind me why you NEED an even number of teams?? I say add ND and ND alone, or don't add anyone. I'd rather not get up to 14 and no way to 16.

Someone want to remind me why you NEED an even number of teams?? I say add ND and ND alone, or don't add anyone. I'd rather not get up to 14 and no way to 16.

Because without an even number you can't have divisions, and without division you can't have a conference championship game, and without a conference championship game you don't get as much money.

I think it might be that there a great deal of Syracuse fans in NY State, and therefore New York City. Theoretically, if Syracuse comes on board, the BTN comes on board throughout the entire state as well.
Brett didn't want to elaborate more on Coker? I've been waiting for some more of his expert analysis

Last edited:

Latest posts