Next Expansion requires 2 teams

Because without an even number you can't have divisions, and without division you can't have a conference championship game, and without a conference championship game you don't get as much money.

Really? Can you provide a link saying the divisions must have an equal amount of teams?

Doesn't that just make sense?

Why would it matter? That is like saying divisions must have a competitive balance by rule.
Rule 17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

I think it might be that there a great deal of Syracuse fans in NY State, and therefore New York City. Theoretically, if Syracuse comes on board, the BTN comes on board throughout the entire state as well.

This.

Syracuse is actually a big deal in NY State, and has a huge alumni presence in NYC.

Why would it matter? That is like saying divisions must have a competitive balance by rule.
Rule 17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

Well according to that it would't. But I can't see a league (or a commissioner like Delany) like the B1G expanding to 13.

I think it might be that there a great deal of Syracuse fans in NY State, and therefore New York City. Theoretically, if Syracuse comes on board, the BTN comes on board throughout the entire state as well.

Not true. There is no way that bringing Syracuse into the Big Ten will the entire state come on board with the BTN. Syracuse is to New York like Spencer is to eastern Iowa.

In contrast, Rutgers is only forty-five minutes from downtown Manhatten. Rutgers is a large university with about fifty-seven thousand students, or about twice the size of Iowa. Syracuse is a private college with an enrollment of about twenty thousand students. There are far more Rutgers graduates in the New York area than there are Syracuse graduates. There also far more Connecticut graduates in New York. Connecticut is 140 miles closer to New York than Syracuse.

You're right, its not like they have had an odd number of teams for 2 decades in the past...

They also haven't had a conference championship game. Not saying that 13 would preclude the conference from having that game, but the B1G is not going to voluntarily go to 13.

K-Berg may have actually stumbled across a nut with this one.

The Big 10 does NOT want Texas. Texas has destroyed one conference and is bent on destroying another.

Do you actually think Texas would be anther member and have equal rights like all other teams? Or do you think they would want to try and run the conference (which they are used to). They wouldn't want to give up their share of the Longhorn Network, in which other Big 10 members would share equally. In other words, they would want special benefits and the big 10 is not about to do that. We've seen what special benefits have done to the Big 12. That should be all the lesson that the Big 10 needs.

Same with Notre Dame. If the Big 10 lets one team form its own network and keep all the proceeds, it will destroy the conference. Pretty soon Michigan and Ohio State and maybe even Penn St have their own networks and no one is sharing anymore.

Those teams either have to join as an equal member or the Big 10 had better not let them join the conference.

I agree with the Texas thing. There is certainly no way that the B1G would ever allow 1 conference team to trump the league. Same thing for ND. However, ND does have something going for them which is the expiring NC contract.

Yes, I understand that ND will probably get something close or even better than the conference contracts. The hard thing for them will actually be if the "power conferences" actually end up becoming that (16 teams each).

Given Texas' recent contract, they are sitting pretty. If the Big 12 gets broken up and team go elsewhere, they are still sitting pretty until the rest of the "power conferences" sattle up.

That being said, it looks quite far away like it did after the B1G and Pac 12 got their teams and everybody settled down.

Not true. There is no way that bringing Syracuse into the Big Ten will the entire state come on board with the BTN. Syracuse is to New York like Spencer is to eastern Iowa.

In contrast, Rutgers is only forty-five minutes from downtown Manhatten. Rutgers is a large university with about fifty-seven thousand students, or about twice the size of Iowa. Syracuse is a private college with an enrollment of about twenty thousand students. There are far more Rutgers graduates in the New York area than there are Syracuse graduates. There also far more Connecticut graduates in New York. Connecticut is 140 miles closer to New York than Syracuse.

You should probably sit the next round out bud, you very clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and your insistence about using the actual distance from the school to the city is mind blowing.

Here is the sticky part. If the SEC West has 7 teams, it must have 6 divisional games for a round robin. The SEC East has 6 teams, it must have 5 divisional games for a round robin. How do you schedule it so that the SEC East picks up this additional game? Play a 2nd game against one team in their division? Or do you just allow teams from each division to play a different number of total conference games? Such as the West playing 9 conference games and the East playing 8.

I don't understand why people bring up how Texas has destroyed two other conferences or that the B10 would never allow one school special circumstances.....

Of course they wouldn't and if Texas were added they would be treated just like everyone else, period. So how they act in the B12 now, has no bearing on if they were to be invited, because they would already be agreeing to be on equal footing by being invited.

There are really only two schools that are worth expanding, ND and Texas. Oklahoma would be a possibility, but I believe their academics rule them out.

Here is the sticky part. If the SEC West has 7 teams, it must have 6 divisional games for a round robin. The SEC East has 6 teams, it must have 5 divisional games for a round robin. How do you schedule it so that the SEC East picks up this additional game? Play a 2nd game against one team in their division? Or do you just allow teams from each division to play a different number of total conference games? Such as the West playing 9 conference games and the East playing 8.
I don't know how they do it, but the MAC has 13 teams (one division with 6 and the other with 7) and a championship game. I am too tired to look now and it may involve an unbalanced schedule, but it looks possible. Yes, I know, it's tough to compare the MAC to a BCS level conference.

I don't know how they do it, but the MAC has 13 teams (one division with 6 and the other with 7) and a championship game. I am too tired to look now and it may involve an unbalanced schedule, but it looks possible. Yes, I know, it's tough to compare the MAC to a BCS level conference.

The MAC has a waiver(?) to get around the round robin rule, from what I understand.

I can see Missouri and a team from the east being added. Not sure who tho. Two names that have floated around from the east are Syracuse and Rutgers. I don't really see either team being competitive in the conference. So that leaves Pitt? or ...?

If the Big Ten decides to expand TV markets will play a role but tradition (Nebraska) will also be very important. There are much larger TV markets than Omaha and the state of Nebraska but their location and history played a huge role. I cant see the this conference expanding without the Gold domers, MO and ND would make the most sense for location, tradition, and tv markets, if they decide to explode and go 16 teams then they will look east Maryland, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, and maybe Rutgers for their location. but right now I would bet on ND and MO would be their first choices.

That would make sense then.

Then it would make sense the NCAA would be more than willing to grant a waiver to the cash cow that is the B1G.

Not sure how it works either, but it does...
I'd much rather add ND only and have an odd schedule than dilute the conference with the likes of Rutgers Syracuse, ect

Latest posts