Newest member to Hawkeye family?

Nobody is saying the kid doesn't have potential. Iowa's Dline is not in the business of potential right now. They need some guys who can be impact players immediately. I think Ekakite could be that guy or a JUCO. Also last I had heard Ekakite had Iowa pretty high. We will see.

Nobody is saying the kid doesn't have potential. Iowa's Dline is not in the business of potential right now. They need some guys who can be impact players immediately. I think Ekakite could be that guy or a JUCO. Also last I had heard Ekakite had Iowa pretty high. We will see.

I heard he had Iowa #1, or that is what Smith the RB said.

Again nice get but how many years til he reaches 270?? And at 270 he'll get pushed around by 330lb O linemen. Why not cut to the chase and recruit the 265lb guys and work on them a little bit?? Never understood the notion of trying to transform kids that are 220 and hope they gain 50lbs.

It really makes me mad that KF is so lazy and content with his giant paychecks that he refuses to let the experts on this board pick the recruits we need.

Returning defensive players on the line...

Bigach 6'3" 282 JR
Davis 6'5" 310 RSF
Tsopanides 6'2" 240 F
Alvis 6'4" 255 SO
Trinca-Pasat 6'3" 270 RSF
McMinn 6'7" 220 F
Cooper 6'2" 280 F
Hardy 6'5" 270 RSF
Gaglione 6'4" 255 JR
Hayward 6'2" 300 F

Now put 5-10 lbs on JR's, 10-15 on SO/RSF, 10-20 on F

Think we can find 4-6 who can play? Are big enough? I do.

Hard to tell how big a kids heart is, but in past recruiting classes the kids with the most stars have least heart(Bain). I understand we need help now, but wont come from a true fresh we don't get those kids it will be a juco guy. This is shaping up to be a typical and average Ferentz recruiting class, surprised?

you definetly need some size to begin with most of the time, then power, speed, toughness, and then intangibles (heart, motor, desire, etc.). i think we should go after 3-4 juco d-linemen... or maybe 2-3 at least

Normally I would have faith Kirk knows what he's doing with the personnel/recruiting decisions, but after the D-line disaster this year, my confidence is definitely shaken.

Don't let all of those other D-Lines we've had be overshadowed by one bad year..

Doclee: name a time when Iowa had a poorly performing unit and players who have been in the program for at least two years who never had any reps that all of a sudden emerged.

I can't think of any.

Doclee: name a time when Iowa had a poorly performing unit and players who have been in the program for at least two years who never had any reps that all of a sudden emerged.

I can't think of any.

yeah, i think if a player is going to be good we see it early on. they may not dominate early on but we see signs that they will be good.

Bigach 6'3" 282 JR
Davis 6'5" 310 RSF
Tsopanides 6'2" 240 F
Alvis 6'4" 255 SO
McMinn 6'7" 220 F
Cooper 6'2" 280 F
Hardy 6'5" 270 RSF
Gaglione 6'4" 255 JR
Hayward 6'2" 300 F

Finally, thank you, thank you! A person with some perspective, common sense, and rationale! We do not need him to be a play today player, we need him to develop into a player at the Big Ten level. He already is playing at the 6A level in Florida and he is a good player. Look at his tapes, he has a motor and a nose for the ball. In 6 games he had 11 sacks that is a stat at the level he is playing in a state that has a lot of excellent D1 talent.

Some of you need to take a step back before you post. He is also good friends with a certain future quarterback from Florida that will be the next Iowa quarterback star.

Welcome to Iowa young man, I look forward to watching you in the future!

one of the problems with some of the big star players and juco are that to play dl at iowa because of the system you have to be pretty smart and it isnt something most people can just come in and do. so the coaches go after kids they can teach and are smart enough to learn and put weight on them if necessary. remember ac and ballard and klug werent huge guys they all were giving up weight to ol but they did quite well. weight isnt the problem it is ability to disengage blockers. this line has struggled with that. here is to hoping cooper and the rest if the frosh and rs frosh are quick studies on our system so they can play next year because we know kf isnt afraid to play young players if they are the best at the position.

I doubt he plays next year but this is a good pick up. Kid looks like he's got some skills, plus it never hurts to strengthen the FL pipeline. Tell Rudock to keep his buddies coming!

I'm really looking forward to see how Cooper progresses next year. I think we could all be pleasantly surprised.

Bigach 6'3" 282 JR
Davis 6'5" 310 RSF
Tsopanides 6'2" 240 F
Alvis 6'4" 255 SO
McMinn 6'7" 220 F
Cooper 6'2" 280 F
Hardy 6'5" 270 RSF
Gaglione 6'4" 255 JR
Hayward 6'2" 300 F

Gaglione is a Defensive Lineman? Isnt this kid on Kickoff coverage? I think thats a good sign or Dline is too small lol

Um, Clayborn and Ballard weren't big? You just lost all credibility. Clayborn was a 285lb end and Ballard played around 300.

For the people who think we are saying this isn't a good pick up, you need to go back and take freshman Rhetoric at Iowa.

He looks like a very nice pick up, which is the frustrating thing, because in a normal year we would just be psyched, but it is hard to get over the concern for the immediate future.

clayborn and ballard were pretty good size.. so was roth, so was babs, etc. you gotta have a little size to you...

Normally I would have faith Kirk knows what he's doing with the personnel/recruiting decisions, but after the D-line disaster this year, my confidence is definitely shaken.

Just shared the same sentiments with my dad this evening during our weekly Hawk talk ...

Um, Clayborn and Ballard weren't big? You just lost all credibility. Clayborn was a 285lb end and Ballard played around 300.

For the people who think we are saying this isn't a good pick up, you need to go back and take freshman Rhetoric at Iowa.

He looks like a very nice pick up, which is the frustrating thing, because in a normal year we would just be psyched, but it is hard to get over the concern for the immediate future.

Clayborn was 6'3 and 245 lb coming out of high school, so add 40 pounds to 220 and Venckus' 6'5" frame and I think you have a very nice DE...again, with the underclassmen Iowa has, the complaining and whining that is occuring in this thread are amusing....

Latest posts