New Tradition

It wouldn't be a disruption to the players... If you think a 10-15 second gesture is a disruption that would give the other team a huge advantage then ok. But you know what else it might be instead? It might just be a motivational boost that when the players each time they were to do it would know that they are being looked at as heros to those kids up there....
I'm only speaking for myself here but when I was young I looked at Iowa football players as the celebrities A list actors and Michael Jordan are looked at as. I bet some of those kids up there just might as well...
Maybe to meet you halfway if they were to do it coming out after halftime... I could get down with that as well.
Like I said before, moot point and maybe this will put it to bed. Here's the view from the hospital, no way in hell does anybody see someone waving at them from up there.

It's the thought that counts, I'll admit that, but a bogus idea in practice.

EP-151209938.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

Last edited:
Like I said before, moot point and maybe this will put it to bed. Here's the view from the hospital, no way in hell does anybody see someone waving at them for up there.

It's the thought that counts, I'll admit that, but a bogus idea in practice.

EP-151209938.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

Perhaps they wouldn't see an individual waving to them, but certainly they would notice if the entire stadium was waving during a quarter break. Do you think they would notice if they were doing the Jump Around thing? Sure they would. And they certainly would notice the folks in the nearest section that have turned around and are looking at them.

Perhaps they wouldn't see an individual waving to them, but certainly they would notice if the entire stadium was waving during a quarter break. Do you think they would notice if they were doing the Jump Around thing? Sure they would. And they certainly would notice the folks in the nearest section that have turned around and are looking at them.
Like I said before, wave away. Hell I'll even get a couple big foam hands and do it too.

But don't make it a thing that players and coaches have to mess with. I'm assuming you've sat low at a college football game before, there's a lot going on between quarters and players have better shit to worry about such as playing football. Ferentz would never go for it anyway so it's a dead horse.

You might, however, be able to sell that idea to Matt Campbell and his two hand touch team. They go for cheesy stuff over there.

Like I said before, wave away. Hell I'll even get a couple big foam hands and do it too.

But don't make it a thing that players and coaches have to mess with. I'm assuming you've sat low at a college football game before, there's a lot going on between quarters and players have better shit to worry about such as playing football. Ferentz would never go for it anyway so it's a dead horse.

You might, however, be able to sell that idea to Matt Campbell and his two hand touch team. They go for cheesy stuff over there.

I wasn't responding to your statement about the players and coaches being involved. I was responding to your overly negative statement about the idea in general.

And I quote, "Like I said before, moot point and maybe this will put it to bed. Here's the view from the hospital, no way in hell does anybody see someone waving at them for up there. It's the thought that counts, I'll admit that, but a bogus idea in practice."

It isn't a moot point and it is indeed quite possible that they will be able to see the crowd waving.

I wasn't responding to your statement about the players and coaches being involved. I was responding to your overly negative statement about the idea in general.

And I quote, "Like I said before, moot point and maybe this will put it to bed. Here's the view from the hospital, no way in hell does anybody see someone waving at them for up there. It's the thought that counts, I'll admit that, but a bogus idea in practice."

It isn't a moot point and it is indeed quite possible that they will be able to see the crowd waving.

Then wave for god's sake. I don't care if people wave or don't wave.

The moot point was that KF would never go for the idea and interrupt the flow of a game, so it doesn't matter what we think about coaches and players participating. It would never happen.

Whether I think it's a cheesy contrivance or not shouldn't mean a hill of beans to you.

Why not just incorporate the burrito lift/pass? Get couple folks to symbolically throw it over the stadium wall to a couple hospital staff who then tote it over to the hospital?

This smacks of "manufactured tradition". In other words, it isn't a "tradition" as much as an "exercise".

Those of you that have liked the Hawkeye Heaven page on FB may already be well aware of this idea. It's been thrown out there that after the end of the 1st quarter for everyone in the stands (players & coaches too I hope) will all wave at the kids in the childrens hospital across the street. There are several rooms that have a view of the stadium. I think it'd be extremely awesome. Iowa does so much for kids and that hospital I don't see why they wouldn't. This would be a unique thing to Iowa and we all know those kids and their folks would appreciate it. I say spread the word and make it happen game 1 this year.
BRILLIANT!!
If it makes some kids in there smile then count me in.

Last edited:
Good point. Plus they would know it was going to happen.

This is just one more reason why college sports beat the heck out of pro sports any day. What a great thing to have started. Makes me proud of the people in this state.

Just the fact that we're having a 2 page discussion on the who/what/when/where/hows shows that it'd be a staged, "look at me" thing. If it happened spontaneously and just became a thing people did over time then I guess it'd be okay, but you can't just decide to invent traditions. If you do that it's called a contrivance.

Bingo!!

Hmmm. Not many posts by the nay-sayers recently on the wave. Instant classic, despite the downers.

Well, despite the majority loving the wave, I still consider it patronizing.

I love the part that iowa built the Children's hospital to overlook the football field. I just hate the part where all the fans turn and wave at the sick children. It just makes me cringe. But oh well, its getting Iowa a lot of good publicity, so I decided to shut up about my own level of being uncomfortable with it. Moving on.

Latest posts