New starting lineup

according to whatb i found on Hamga he is at UAB listed as a jr but not playing this year other than 5 games at UNLV and games at a juco nothing as been established yet to his success of failure, listed ads a 5* center Alford beat out Kentucky and Indiana for him as he also played AAU ball on The Indiana Elite team, at the time he would have been the crown jewel Alfords recruiting, but lick turned away a 5* center

HIND SITE IS ALWAYS 20/20
but for some like you that only look to put Alford down it is more like 20-200
Hamga still wanted to come to Iowa as he liked the community and school
now tell me who was responisible for Lick's failures?
and how many coaches turn down a 5* center prospect
and if you say you would i am going to call you a liar

Beas Hamga Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - UAB Blazers - ESPN

Wish he were here...

I like this combination...the only downside if any is if both Cartwright and Marble get into early fould trouble.

True. Even without foul trouble, Marble will have to be the first one to leave the floor to get a quick rest to come back in and give Cartwright a breather.

I gave the start to McCabe over Basabe because of his effort, although our lineup would have more potential.

I like McCabe's effort and the fire and passion he plays with and for those reasons I think he makes a great 6th man coming off the bench. He can provide a spark by scoring or with his defense and his ability to draw a charge.

True. Even without foul trouble, Marble will have to be the first one to leave the floor to get a quick rest to come back in and give Cartwright a breather.

Total agreement there and I also think your lineup is probably the best defensive lineup right now, not that it accounts for a lot right now. Iowa really needs to step it up on that end, offensively Iowa is going to continue to struggle until Basabe begins to play better.

I like McCabe's effort and the fire and passion he plays with and for those reasons I think he makes a great 6th man coming off the bench. He can provide a spark by scoring or with his defense and his ability to draw a charge.

That is kind of the matra for all the players on the bench, but if one gets hot, then Iowa can stick with them longer.

I gave the start to McCabe over Basabe because of his effort, although our lineup would have more potential.

This lineup, with McCabe starting to light a fire under Baasbe, if it doesnt Zach will only get better, plus the Fab 5 are coming next season

Last edited:
This lineuo with McCabe starting to light a fire under Baasbe, if it doesnt Zach will only get better, plus the Fab 5 are coming next season

I think it is still to early to take Basabe out of the starting lineup and lose him for the season when the BIG hasn't started yet, if he doesn't fix it when conference time starts, then bench him.

coming from Fran; putting the weight on Basabe was a mistake, he has 7 games to get the weight off and get ready for the BT season, the starting ofMcCabe was a good idea, smaller and more shooting options are there

Yea because we should not expect our starters to show effort and have passion. Right? The guys who are playing hard should start! Maybe Mel will start playing hard when his press clippings start drying up. Having a guy like that on the team and rewarding that behavior by keeping him in the starting lineup is a "team chemistry" disaster if you ask me.

I love the duel conversations within this thread: alford and lick; the starting 5 Very interesting combination.

Alford sucked and walked *** backwards into a loaded team at New Mexico. The UNM team had a McDonalds AA on the roster that didn't play the year prior. The same kid was also a 5th year senior who was Big12 Frosh team before he stabbed someone (Kansas). That kid is now playing in the NBA and single-handedly took the UNM team to the NCAA tournament.

Alford hired AAU assistants and basically bought the 3* and 4* talent his first two years. 3* and 4* talent will get you top 3 in the MWC and with a few lucky bounces it could land you in the NCAA tournament. alford is where he belongs. He is really good at a mid-major and sub par at the major college level.

During alfords tenure at Iowa, the roster was a revolving door from day 1. There were players that would commit and never make it to campus, players that were declared academically ineligible, players that transferred, etc., in every year while he was our coach.

Tyler Smith announced he was leaving BEFORE alford bailed for UNM. Alford was given his walking papers before his final season started and would have been fired had he not announced he was leaving for UNM. Smith was the last straw in the transfers. Yes the kid had medical issues that he had to deal with in Pulaski, TN but Pulaski is a solid 4 hour drive from Knoxville (UT). If the kid wanted to transfer to be closer to home, MTSU, Belmont, Lipscomb and Vanderbilt plus several other D1 basketball programs are hours closer. Smith skirted the system and bailed on a program that was nearing rock bottom and used his dads illness as an excuse.

As bad as alford was as a higher Lick was even worse. We were on a downward spiral before Lick got here and Lick just added weight so we could sink faster.

Now fast forward to today. We have a roster chalk full of mid-level talent and limited athleticism. God knows most of them are trying but they just aren't good enough to compete at this level. The players that Fran has brought in to the program are the best that we've got and Fran is simply trying to duct tape this team together until Yr 3. Fran is caught in a Catch22. Not enough talent in place to win but he needs to showcase what he would do if the players were here in order to get the type of players he wants which makes the current players look that much worse.

Summary: Alford sucked, Lick was like the plague and now Fran is left to pick up the pieces.

Latest posts