New Software Bug Report

My guess is it's a new RSS feed address. I'd love for you to read them on the site obviously, too ;)

I usually read the articles on the site, but rely on my RSS reader to let me know when a new article is up (and that way i can screen which ones i want to read ;) )

I noticed that the mobile view works fine prior to logging in with username/pw. I can view forums and threads without issue. After logging in there is a large white bar on the left side that renders the site useless as you can no longer see forum or thread titles.

Like I said it only happens when you are logged in to the site.

I am using Firefox mobile web browser from an Android phone.

Thanks guys. Will look into it. I have never experienced this on chrome of Firefox. I have been on the boards about four hours today with hundreds of page views.

FF doesn't incorporate XSS filtering without add-ins, to my knowledge; Chrome has a weak version but doesn't display a warning. This is a *good* security feature of IE9 (although ironically they screwed up the first release and had to patch). It can be turned off in options, but that is not smart to do, as this is a common form of attack.

As an educated guess, the ads or underlying code are the most likely culprit - I'd recommend a simple test, removing the ad blocks one-by-one from a test page until the popups go away, to isolate the offender.

Last edited:
Jon, you know what's bugging me still? The emoticons. :mad:

I know it may seem petty. I certainly hope you're not to old to realize that clear, expressive and multiple emoticons are necessary in his day and age to get good posters to your forums.

Speaking of which, on my phone when I select the emoticon drop down, the field of emoticons appears on the lower right screen of my phone and I have to scroll over to find it. Maybe thats intended functionality?

Interesting. When I am typing a post, then hit enter to start a new paragraph, it's not registering the enter. Everything stays on one line. Then, when I try to edit, I can click the Save, Go Advanced, Delete, and Cancel buttons, but it's almost as if they are disabled. This started in Firefox and is now happening in Chrome. And strangely it only happens on this computer that I'm working on now. [New paragraph] Any idea what might be causing this? Is there some sort of setting that isn't allowing my computer to "follow" the site code?

Additionally, I tried quoting Scorpio's post above and it completely froze my browser and I had to restart. ::confused::

Additionally, I tried quoting Scorpio's post above and it completely froze my browser and I had to restart. ::confused::

Have you tried exercising this type of functionality on a different site? Go sign up on a couple different forums and test to see if you have the same problems. If you do, it's likely your computer and not HN.

Good idea. I'm not on too many other boards, but I hit up a couple of them and don't have any issues with the "Enter" issue. [New paragraph] But you are on to something...I don't have this problem posting from work or my laptop. It's only when I work on my desktop. [New paragraph] Question for anyone who reads this...at the very bottom of the screen there is a box labeled "Posting Permissions." Mine says that everything is on except for HTML code...could that have anything to do with it?

I wish I could help you, brah. I know how frustrating this type of thing can be.

No worries...my only concern is that everything I type now is going to look like a Herbhawk55 post. [New paragraph]At least I punctuate, I guess...#[newparagraph] #oldschooltelegramstyleforthewin

hahahahaha!!

I don't think I'd be in anywhere near as high spirits as you if this kind of glitch was happening on my 'puter.
Rock on, '2679. :)

What about IE?

Have you run virus and malware scans recently?

For virus scans, if you don't already have AV software, just download Microsoft Security Essentials and use that.

For malware, I'd suggest downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and run to that see if it finds anything.

If you want to download/run HijackThis HiJackThis | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net and post the results in a direct message to me, I can take a look and see if I can see anything out of the ordinary. HijackThis just dumps all your running processes and some auto-run registry entries to see if any malware may exist on your system.

If all that fails, you can always try uninstalling FF and Chrome and reinstalling to see if that helps.

Latest posts