New rule in 2024 cost Iowa big time

Shivetts

The new 2-minute timeout screwed us. It gave Iowa State an additional timeout they didn't have and allowed them to get into field goal range at the end. Campbell probably doesn't punt with 3 minutes left and is forced to go for it in their own territory.

Doesn't excuse the offensive woes or defensive struggles but it was a factor

The new 2-minute timeout screwed us. It gave Iowa State an additional timeout they didn't have and allowed them to get into field goal range at the end. Campbell probably doesn't punt with 3 minutes left and is forced to go for it in their own territory.

Iowa was outcoached. Again. (fixed it for ya)

Going for the 2pt conversion with over 4 min remaining in the 3rd quarter made no sense. Iowa had run what, 7 plays from that place on the field up to that point, and 6 of them had been unsuccessful. The odds of a successful 2 pt conversion were 1 in 7 at best. I turned to my neighbor at Kinnick and literally said before the snap, "Dumb decision. If they don't make this Iowa St. can WIN with a TD and 2 FGs."

Going for the 2pt conversion with over 4 min remaining in the 3rd quarter made no sense. Iowa had run what, 7 plays from that place on the field up to that point, and 6 of them had been unsuccessful. The odds of a successful 2 pt conversion were 1 in 7 at best. I turned to my neighbor at Kinnick and literally said before the snap, "Dumb decision. If they don't make this Iowa St. can WIN with a TD and 2 FGs."
Unfortunately, being long term Hawkeye fans enables us to predict the future.

It absolutely was a factor. I haven't really liked the new 2 min timeout, both watching games on TV and in-person at Kinnick. If both teams hold onto their 3 second half timeouts until the end -- as Iowa and ISU did -- that basically means fans are likely to be subjected to 7, that's correct, SEVEN timeouts over the last 3 minutes of game time. Ridiculous.

At the time, I didn't hate the decision to go for 2 in the third quarter. In hindsight, it hurt, but at the moment I was pleased to see Kirk being aggressive and trying to score.

After re-watching the game yesterday (it took a day to heal up psychologically), my biggest complaint came from the 1:50 mark forward. We had the ball with 3rd and 1 with 1:50 on the clock. We ran the ball (fine) and picked up the first down. We have a fresh set of downs with the ball and about 1:40 to go. On 2nd and 7 with 1:29 left, ISU has nearly every player on the defense in the box - and we run right into it. They know we are running, the fans all know we are running, the whole country knows we are running - so ISU is able to completely sell out to the run.

Now it's 3rd and 8 (because we lost a yard running into a 9 man front). We line up showing clear run again - no one out wide - so ISU can, again, stack the box and they do. We try a bit of an off-tackle delay and get nothing again. Why? Because ISU completely sold out to the run. There was ZERO chance Kirk was going to throw that ball.

Watch other teams in Division 1 football. They will throw - at least 1 time - in that series of downs. Of course there is more risk, but it also makes the defense actually have to spread out to defend against a possible pass.

So we punt with 38 seconds left on the clock. Usually this is fine - we trust our defense to do what it does. Unfortunately, 2 plays later ISU is on Iowa's 38 and then the kick. Party over.

We don't ever even get to this point if we get a first down and we think that bashing our head against a brick wall over and over and over is the way to success. Just stubborn and stupid. The forward pass is a thing and we need to welcome it into the offense in this 21st century.

We could not reach the end zone with three plays, on two previous 1st & Goal situations.
But Kirk believed we could successfully convert a 2-pt play from a similar position - in one play..

At the time, I didn't hate the decision to go for 2 in the third quarter. In hindsight, it hurt, but at the moment I was pleased to see Kirk being aggressive and trying to score.

After re-watching the game yesterday (it took a day to heal up psychologically), my biggest complaint came from the 1:50 mark forward. We had the ball with 3rd and 1 with 1:50 on the clock. We ran the ball (fine) and picked up the first down. We have a fresh set of downs with the ball and about 1:40 to go. On 2nd and 7 with 1:29 left, ISU has nearly every player on the defense in the box - and we run right into it. They know we are running, the fans all know we are running, the whole country knows we are running - so ISU is able to completely sell out to the run.

Now it's 3rd and 8 (because we lost a yard running into a 9 man front). We line up showing clear run again - no one out wide - so ISU can, again, stack the box and they do. We try a bit of an off-tackle delay and get nothing again. Why? Because ISU completely sold out to the run. There was ZERO chance Kirk was going to throw that ball.

Watch other teams in Division 1 football. They will throw - at least 1 time - in that series of downs. Of course there is more risk, but it also makes the defense actually have to spread out to defend against a possible pass.

So we punt with 38 seconds left on the clock. Usually this is fine - we trust our defense to do what it does. Unfortunately, 2 plays later ISU is on Iowa's 38 and then the kick. Party over.

We don't ever even get to this point if we get a first down and we think that bashing our head against a brick wall over and over and over is the way to success. Just stubborn and stupid. The forward pass is a thing and we need to welcome it into the offense in this 21st century.
This. Even just lining up with trips near one sideline removes 3 defenders from the LOS box and improves the chances for a successful run.

If I remember right, the 2 minute timeout happened to be very close to the end of the play clock anyway. I remember thinking at the time we got lucky with the timing there to only lose a few seconds.

I like going for 2 there if you're any team in the country not named Iowa. But even if you are Iowa, you have to factor in the odds that you won't score another point all game. We've seen that scenario play out a lot too. If he doesn't go for 2 then and we end up not scoring again, then ISU has the ball down 6 late, they probably go down and score to win by 1. The only reason it was a bad idea to go for 2 was because the odds are so astronomically high they can't get that many yards on one play. Which is pathetic.

I like going for 2 there if you're any team in the country not named Iowa. But even if you are Iowa, you have to factor in the odds that you won't score another point all game. We've seen that scenario play out a lot too. If he doesn't go for 2 then and we end up not scoring again, then ISU has the ball down 6 late, they probably go down and score to win by 1. The only reason it was a bad idea to go for 2 was because the odds are so astronomically high they can't get that many yards on one play. Which is pathetic.
Good thoughts. My hesitation with the 2 pt play was the fact that they were inside the 3 yard line twice and couldn't score a TD.

They were 0 for 3 in terms of punching it into the endzone from the 3 yard line or less. Yikes. I hope the offense evolves, as this is familiar territory for Iowa.

No

Iowa is the only team on the ISU schedule where Campbell would have punted the ball back in that situation. Iowa is soooo predictable that Campbell knew he would get the ball back with 30-50 seconds left.

It didn’t have anything to do with the 2-minute timeout rule change, it had everything to do with the ISU coaching staff out coaching the Iowa staff.

This loss was a flashback to 2016 when IA led ND State 21 - 20 with very little time left. The Hawks had the ball and needed only 1 first down to run out the clock. But they stubbornly ran 3 straight plays up the middle into a 9 or 10 man front and then punted, counting on the D to hold on to the lead. The Bison were able to move down the field and they kicked a 37 yard FG as time expired to win 23 - 21.

(I know i am delusional about this one, since KF never changes QBs): How about putting in Sullivan for that last series, not to pass, but to use his legs? He's a much better runner than McNamara. Call a (Chuck Long v Sparty) bootleg or even a QB sweep, which the Clowns hadn't seen all day. Sure, Sully would have to stay in bounds, but, he's a smart NW guy. :) At the very least, as others in this thread have pleaded, please do something that forces the Clowns to take some defenders out of the box to at least give yourself a fighting chance to pick up that game clinching first down.

Also painful (to me, anyway) was the decision to let the clock run out and take a 5 yard penalty before punting to the Clowns at the end of the game. We had 3 timeouts, so why not use one of them with one second left on the play clock and save those precious yards? Why give the Clowns 5 gift yards when you know all they need is a FG to result in our grabbing defeat out of the jaws of victory? After the game KF poo pooed the importance of the penalty, but think about this: Does Soupy have his RS frosh try a 59 yarder, or would he have run another play at that point? That might have changed the outcome.

And while it didn't cost us, think about this: At the end of the first half, there were 90 seconds left, and IA had a first down deep in the red zone. Rather than milk the clock, eating up those 90 seconds over 4 plays, and leaving the Clowns little or no time to mount a drive, KF called a time out. IA ended up kicking the FG, and the Clowns had a full minute to try to score. They mounted a drive, but fortunately KF lucked out and their RF frosh missed the FG attempt. Clock management has often been an Achilles heel, and it nearly was this time as well.

Iowa was outcoached. Again. (fixed it for ya)

Yep, nothing new to see here folks! Move along, move along!

Everyone knew we were running because it was the right move. It was safe and the chances of taking a sack or throwing a pick with McNamara driving the bus were outrageously high. He cannot scramble whatsoever and hadn't been able to hit a receiver even if he did get an open look. Take a sack for a loss of 10 yards and then wat? You're in a much worse situation. What during the game up to that point would lead you to believe that CM was all the sudden going to convert a first down passing the ball? Did you watch the 2nd half at all or just the last 2 minutes? Run the ball and you have a mostly known quantity, and when you have a known quantity you have control. KF made two dumb decisions leading up to the situation that ruined the game (DOG penalty and 2PT attempt), it wasn't the play calling on the last drive.

In that situation you burn the most clock possible, stuff the ball up the middle, and leave the LOS where it is. If you get the 1st down it's just a bonus. Take a TO and punt the ball. There's no way Campbell should drive 40 yards (should've been 45) with no timeouts, but XN whiffed his assignment. At worst even with Nwankpa whiffing it should've been tied end of regulation, but KF went for two with almost a third of the game left like a dumbass.