New OC

Why in the heck does anyone think that Tate can coach? I am not saying he can't, but he has absolutely zero experience coaching. I think it is hilarious that many of the same folks on this and the other boards think we need to bring in experience at OC, but want to bring in Tate who has zero experience as a QB coach. If Tate wants to coach, bring him in as a GA and let him grow as a coach.

Why in the heck does anyone think that Tate can coach? I am not saying he can't, but he has absolutely zero experience coaching. I think it is hilarious that many of the same folks on this and the other boards think we need to bring in experience at OC, but want to bring in Tate who has zero experience as a QB coach. If Tate wants to coach, bring him in as a GA and let him grow as a coach.
I don't totally disagree with you, but he's had how many years playing QB? 13 years college and pro? I can't imagine he could be any worse than Greg Derpvis. If his only job was coaching quarterbacks, I think he could excel at it, IMO.

-------Hire the guy that calls coach Ferments. I'm sure he'd be great! The way he talks, he'd recruit nothing but 5*!

Damn straight....and the name is Playmaker!

I don't totally disagree with you, but he's had how many years playing QB? 13 years college and pro? I can't imagine he could be any worse than Greg Derpvis. If his only job was coaching quarterbacks, I think he could excel at it, IMO.
And I am not saying he wouldn't be awesome, just that if he is seriously considering a coaching career he needs to find some way to get experience. GA is the best way to do that in college.

I think our only hope is BF, here's why. If Kirk goes outside, he's just going to find another patsy to do what he wants...which will be the same ol' crap. He certainly won't hire somebody young and dynamic (the anti-Davis) capable of taking over as HC in a few years if Brian has his eye on the HC job. But he has to know the same old anemic offense will kill his chances.

So it's to his benefit to give Brian the leeway to shake up the offense. We've heard rumblings of disagreement between Kirk and Brian before...so we know the kid is willing to push back. Maybe he's the only one that has a shot at pushing the old man out of his comfort zone.
This is the way I see it also. I don't understand why everyone can't see this. If Brian crashes and burns as OC,his HC chances burn also. KF will do everything possible to see that he succeeds.

I think our only hope is BF, here's why. If Kirk goes outside, he's just going to find another patsy to do what he wants...which will be the same ol' crap. He certainly won't hire somebody young and dynamic (the anti-Davis) capable of taking over as HC in a few years if Brian has his eye on the HC job. But he has to know the same old anemic offense will kill his chances.

So it's to his benefit to give Brian the leeway to shake up the offense. We've heard rumblings of disagreement between Kirk and Brian before...so we know the kid is willing to push back. Maybe he's the only one that has a shot at pushing the old man out of his comfort zone.

Ya know, I wanna believe you're right with your theory on giving BF some leeway, but somehow trying to think KF is going to make even the slightest changes in his coaching philosophy is hard to fathom.

I do hope your assumption is right though, because I do think the first part of your theory is right and it will be Brian. Like I stated before. IMO it will be a sink or swim deal for BF. If KF sees him going down and Brian thinks he's being handcuffed, he may give in a little.

I hope all these people that believe Brian won't be a yes man, won't just offer a bunch of excuses for him if he doesn't succeed at the job.

THIS

And the risk is high for BF here. He could be the best OC ever, but if he can't get any wiggle room from Pops. He and most importantly the people who are looking for HCs will never know.

Same ole same ole won't get him anywhere in that dog eat dog world.

Yes, there are much bettewr candidates. But do you think the old man is going to jump his son? Who is the run game coordinator?
Who would come in and let the HCs son be run game coordinator?
Which means KF would have to demote BF. Think that is going to happen?

This is actually a win/win for fans. If he does well, we win games. If he tanks, he wont be our next HC and KFs seat gets real hot, real quick.
Agree. Kirk will be highly motivated to see his legacy continue through Brian. Apparantly Kirk needs extra incentive in the last few years in order to actually care about winning. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Captain's best years have been prior to contract renegotiations.

This is the way I see it also. I don't understand why everyone can't see this. If Brian crashes and burns as OC,his HC chances burn also. KF will do everything possible to see that he succeeds.
When Barta gives Kirk another raise and contract extension next year, it will include an option clause where Kirk can name his successor...10 years guaranteed....same salary.

Don't know who coach will name but it has to be a step up from what we've been watching in the passing game.Biggest problem I had was they would put a game plan in and if it didn't work they didn't know how to change it.

I have said in the past the KF himself left Iowa in the 1980s to get head coaching experience at smaller school so I thought like others have said that Brian F should apply and get a OC job somewhere else and then maybe a head job somewhere.

Tate knows the technical aspects of being a qb and I am sure reading defenses and offensive nomenclature. But that doesnt mean he is great at imparting that information or skills to other people. Does he have the communication skills, temperment (which in Tate's case could be interesting from what we have seen), and the other skills that are needed?

Tyson Helton.......hot name coming out of 2015, projected next step as an OC somewhere at Power 5 level, ended up going to USC in 2016 as QB coach and passing game coordinator under his brother who is head coach.

I see Mike Goff is now on the USC staff.

If Brian's last name wasn't Ferentz, nobody here would want him as OC.

Brian is not "our only hope". That is just ridiculous. We need a young, hungry, EXPERIENCED OC. Not someone who will have to learn on the job. Let Brian get that experience at a smaller school.

There are better candidates out there.....get one of them.

Having the Ferentz last name is a double edged sword. I think there are just as many who don't want him because he shares the same last name as Kirk.

I love how some people are of the mindset to coach you have to climb the ladder in some ordained way. Clearly that's not the case. MN just hired a 34/35 yr old. ISU has a guy under 40 that hasn't exactly been around forever and lots of schools are. I don't think age and years and years of experience is the end all be all anymore. Tate would do great as a QB coach I bet. Would he do worse then Greg Davis? How many qbs under him had a good senior year? Which to me should be a way to judge such a position. After having a kid 3/4 or 5 yrs how do they perform their final year... Well safe to say CJ didn't do so hot and JR didn't stick around to find out. He gets a semi pass on inheriting Vandenberg but what a shit show his final year was... Those things should matter....

Iowa needs to look outside for a new OC not within.

If Iowa hires from within, I guarantee the Hawkeyes fan base will be extremely hostile with the direction of the program.

The new President needs to get involved with this hire and trump whatever Ferentz/Barta say. I'm hoping for a good hire here because our offense needs it since we've been really weak in this area.

I guess Iowa won't be getting Fleck as a HC now. We need an OC with some innovation to spice up our struggling offense.

Any suggestions?

I'd rather not have BH pick the next OC.

Some people want to crucify regardless,I remember when coach was hired everyone was upset about it.I feel he's done a pretty good job over the years so whoever he chooses let's give them a chance just like we gave Greg Davis.Hopefully the next hire won't have one foot into retirement.If we're going to run this type of offense then we need to get our tight ends more involved in the passing game,right now we need them to block because the front 5 aren't getting the job done.

Latest posts