New OC

KatoZenti

Iowa needs to look outside for a new OC not within.

If Iowa hires from within, I guarantee the Hawkeyes fan base will be extremely hostile with the direction of the program.

The new President needs to get involved with this hire and trump whatever Ferentz/Barta say. I'm hoping for a good hire here because our offense needs it since we've been really weak in this area.

I guess Iowa won't be getting Fleck as a HC now. We need an OC with some innovation to spice up our struggling offense.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest Joe Moorhead but the guy is turning down head coaching opportunities, so no way he would move to Iowa as OC.

Since Kevin Wilson just got hired as the new OC at Ohio state, maybe we can go after the guy who was Wilson's OC at Indiana, Kevin Johns. The new Indiana head coach just let him go so why not see if he is interested.

Not saying Kevin Johns is as good as Kevin Wilson himself, but he would certainly know everything Indiana was doing offensively under Wilson, which would bring a lot of interesting ideas to the staff.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Alex Van Pelt, GB's QB coach but going from an NFL QB coach to a college OC may be a step down professionally.

How fast do they need to get a new OC? With the signing day in a month, and still some spots to fill, does Iowa need a OC in place asap to lock down some decent offensive players, or can they sell the program regardless? I think it would be harder to recruit players if they don't know what type of system they're signing on to. Of course, the cynic will say it doesn't matter either way, as everyone knows what's ahead if you sign to play for Iowa - which is probably true, which makes me a cynic. Ugh.

Everything in Kirk Ferentz's history suggests he will take his time, and wait until after signing day before he makes any changes on the coaching staff. Davis leaving may not be the only change. Kennedy is probably gone, but won't be officially let go until February.

If Brian is made the new OC, who knows, they might add a QB coach to the staff and give TE's to Brian or the new OL coach. Which could mean Woods is gone too when the dust settles.

I'd love to see Alex Van Pelt, GB's QB coach but going from an NFL QB coach to a college OC may be a step down professionally.

Step down or lateral move? There is a relationship between Green Bay and Iowa. It is BF's job, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a formal interview. KF and AVP kick the tires around a little bit.

I think our only hope is BF, here's why. If Kirk goes outside, he's just going to find another patsy to do what he wants...which will be the same ol' crap. He certainly won't hire somebody young and dynamic (the anti-Davis) capable of taking over as HC in a few years if Brian has his eye on the HC job. But he has to know the same old anemic offense will kill his chances.

So it's to his benefit to give Brian the leeway to shake up the offense. We've heard rumblings of disagreement between Kirk and Brian before...so we know the kid is willing to push back. Maybe he's the only one that has a shot at pushing the old man out of his comfort zone.

If Iowa hires from within, I guarantee the Hawkeyes fan base will be extremely hostile with the direction of the program.

The new President needs to get involved with this hire and trump whatever Ferentz/Barta say. I'm hoping for a good hire here because our offense needs it since we've been really weak in this area.

I guess Iowa won't be getting Fleck as a HC now. We need an OC with some innovation to spice up our struggling offense.

Any suggestions?
What percentage are you thinking? I bet more fans then not would be more then happy with Brian getting it. It makes the most sense. And what planet are you living on if you think the president of the school is going to get involved?

I think our only hope is BF, here's why. If Kirk goes outside, he's just going to find another patsy to do what he wants...which will be the same ol' crap. He certainly won't hire somebody young and dynamic (the anti-Davis) capable of taking over as HC in a few years if Brian has his eye on the HC job. But he has to know the same old anemic offense will kill his chances.

So it's to his benefit to give Brian the leeway to shake up the offense. We've heard rumblings of disagreement between Kirk and Brian before...so we know the kid is willing to push back. Maybe he's the only one that has a shot at pushing the old man out of his comfort zone.

Perfectly said and I 100% AGREE!!!

Brian isn't going to be another "YES" man, his own career has too much riding on it. I may be in the minority on this, but Brian as the Hawks OC with his guys as position coaches could be a win?!?!

Maybe Brian will come up with some theme/slogan to get the rest of fan base back from Fleck!

Perfectly said and I 100% AGREE!!!

Brian isn't going to be another "YES" man, his own career has too much riding on it. I may be in the minority on this, but Brian as the Hawks OC with his guys as position coaches could be a win?!?!

Maybe Brian will come up with some theme/slogan to get the rest of fan base back from Fleck!

He strikes me as just the right balance between Kirk and Bielema. He's got a little edge to him, but has the old man's foundation.

He strikes me as just the right balance between Kirk and Bielema. He's got a little edge to him, but has the old man's foundation.

He also did a four year stint with the machine that is the New England Patriots. If Brian takes over I think Iowa's offense would resemble Penn State under Bill O'Brien. Multiple TE sets, solid intermediate/vertical pass game, and Kirk's bread and butter with inside and outside zone run. Add David Raih or another hungry young coach and you have something... I've heard Drew Tate, but that may be a little to much for Kirk.

Interesting on Raih, he worked with Stanzi during his best year with the Hawks, the experience he has gained since could be very valuable.

LXUpR43.gif

Iowa's offense with Brian a OC

Hire the guy that calls coach Ferments. I'm sure he'd be great! The way he talks, he'd recruit nothing but 5*!

Any suggestions?

when or why did you think iowa was getting a new head coach. crazy on the financials

I hope BF can do what he wants because he is BF. Im hoping the old man hands him the keys to the offense and sits back and takes notes on his note card.
Im hoping BF is/does the many things you guys have posted.

I would love to see a NE Pats type offense. Especially if he can do as much as they do with no names.

I can hope. But I really doubt.

If Brian's last name wasn't Ferentz, nobody here would want him as OC.

Brian is not "our only hope". That is just ridiculous. We need a young, hungry, EXPERIENCED OC. Not someone who will have to learn on the job. Let Brian get that experience at a smaller school.

There are better candidates out there.....get one of them.

If Brian's last name wasn't Ferentz, nobody here would want him as OC.

Brian is not "our only hope". That is just ridiculous. We need a young, hungry, EXPERIENCED OC. Not someone who will have to learn on the job. Let Brian get that experience at a smaller school.

There are better candidates out there.....get one of them.

Yes, there are much bettewr candidates. But do you think the old man is going to jump his son? Who is the run game coordinator?
Who would come in and let the HCs son be run game coordinator?
Which means KF would have to demote BF. Think that is going to happen?

This is actually a win/win for fans. If he does well, we win games. If he tanks, he wont be our next HC and KFs seat gets real hot, real quick.

Greg Roman OC. Hire new WR's coach. With the extra coaching position the team is about to be allowed hire drew tate as qb's coach. I've been saying Greg Roman all year. Perfect mesh of Kirks concepts with innovation. This is a dude who ran 2 fullback 2 tight end sets in the nfl and won with them at times. Very creative, gets number matchups over the other team, what Kirks whole offense strategy is meant to do. I like everybody else i think, assume it will be Brian, but i hope they get Greg Roman.

Latest posts