New Mexico plays UNI in the Las Vegas Classic

glidinghawk

UNI plays Steve Alford's Lobos in the finals of the Las Vegas Classic on Thursday night. New Mexico is 10-1, and UNI is 8-3 after their win over Indiana Wednesday night. New Mexico beat Colorado and I watched some of the game online. It appears Alford's team is better than last year's 30-5 team. Very deep club with a couple very good freshmen in the starting lineup. Should be a good game.

GlidingHawk

The Lobos are going to need to get more than the 29 they got before the NIT last year otherwise they will miss The Dance again. Playing in a mid-major like the MWC means you either have to run the table or you need to start scheduling teams tougher than SIU and the likes. You have to schedule like Butler and Gonzaga. Otherwise when it comes to tourney time, those 30 wins aren't that impressive. Just the facts.

The Lobos are going to need to get more than the 29 they got before the NIT last year otherwise they will miss The Dance again. Playing in a mid-major like the MWC means you either have to run the table or you need to start scheduling teams tougher than SIU and the likes. You have to schedule like Butler and Gonzaga. Otherwise when it comes to tourney time, those 30 wins aren't that impressive. Just the facts.

im confused...UNM made the second round of the ncaa's last year

I was just checking the Big Ten's website to see what time the Iowa/Illinois game is next Wednesday. I thought it was 8:05 and it is. Anyway, the schedule says Indiana plays New Mexico tonight...time to be determined. Oops...it appears the Big Ten was counting UNI as a win before the game was played.

Current RPI followed by SOS

New Mexico 58 248
UNI 66 139
Iowa 182 199

RPI predictor says a 1 point win for NM.

Current Sagarin Ratings

New Mexico 42
UNI 90
Iowa 129

Sagarin predictor says NM by 4 to 6 tonight.

I've got a grand on UNI tonight. NM has played 2 teams with an PRI better than 192 (100 & 27). They lost to #27 @Cal and beat a mediocre ASU team at home. UNI has played 7 teams with an RPI lower than 192 and went 4-3 in those games. They lost a rivalry game to us and two road games to start the season. My guess is alford will show once again that he can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

What are you talking about? They aren't in the SoCon or MAAC they're in the Mountain West. San Diego St is in the top ten, BYU and UNLV will both be ranked throughout the year. If they get anywhere near 29 wins they will be a top four seed in the NCAA tournament.

My brother, you need to check your "facts". There are plenty of good wins in the MWC this year including a Top 10 team. The MWC is better than the Pac Ten this year.

NM has 20 games remaining on their schedule prior to the MWC tournament. They currently sit at 10-1. In order to get to 27 wins this season they can't lose more than 4 games. There are 2 good teams plus 3 decent teams in the MWC this year (SDSU, BYU, UNLV, NM & TCU). There is one other team that 'could' win a few games against the said 5 (Utah). MWC will not land 5 teams in the dance. They might get three in this year and possibly a 4th should that team be a top 4 team at season end and win the conference tournament. Real time has NM finishing at 18-12 (7-9) in conference. That is barely on the NIT bubble since they are predicted to be below .500 in conference play.

Now as to your point about getting 29 wins and being a top 4 seed, I agree, but they won't. If they get to 25 wins I will be shocked. 25 wins will land them in the NIT.

~Kq

My brother, you need to check your "facts". There are plenty of good wins in the MWC this year including a Top 10 team. The MWC is better than the Pac Ten this year.

Seriously? The only reason the MWC is currently viewed as a decent conference is because the conference as a whole hasn't played ANYONE. UNLV is the only team in the MWC to beat a top 25 team and that was K State in the game that K State had players suspended.

Re: ~Kq

Seriously? The only reason the MWC is currently viewed as a decent conference is because the conference as a whole hasn't played ANYONE. UNLV is the only team in the MWC to beat a top 25 team and that was K State in the game that K State had players suspended.

I just do not agree with you here. I haven't seen New Mexico play yet, but I do know they added a very talented transfer a few games ago. SDSU, BYU, and UNLV are close to being "locks". That is not bad at all for a mid major conference, especially when Xavier, Gonzaga, and Butler have to win their conference tournies to get into the dance this year and the Pac Ten may only produce one team again along with the weakened ACC. That is a lot of openings for a team like New Mexico.

Latest posts