New Mexico plays UNI in the Las Vegas Classic

Re: ~Kq

I never once called the MWC something other than a Mid Major. Butler and Gonzaga have been mid majors and they were locks the last couple of years. I have no clue what you were trying to say right there and BYU and SDSU are basically in the tournament as long as they continue to play as they are now.

As for your conference break down, no way the Big Ten gets 8 teams, and who from the ACC is getting those 5 bids? It is an awful league outside of Duke this year. They could very well be down for Pac Ten like tournament numbers. As I said before, there is a lot of room in the expanded field for these teams.

Duke, BC, Miami, NC and Va Tech. Fl St has looked good but haven't played anybody yet. NC St's only losses this year have come against top 25 teams so add them to the list of contenders as well. That's 7 teams that will get a bid before NM unless NM wins 30+ games - which as we have seen tonight simply isn't going to happen.

I never once called the MWC something other than a Mid Major. Butler and Gonzaga have been mid majors and they were locks the last couple of years. I have no clue what you were trying to say right there and BYU and SDSU are basically in the tournament as long as they continue to play as they are now.

As for your conference break down, no way the Big Ten gets 8 teams, and who from the ACC is getting those 5 bids? It is an awful league outside of Duke this year. They could very well be down for Pac Ten like tournament numbers. As I said before, there is a lot of room in the expanded field for these teams.

Butler won 33 games last year and the 'Zags won 27 plus were the regular season champs before losing to St Marys in their conf. tournament. Let me spell this out for you. Win games or win your conference and you are in if you are mid-major. If you don't win a ton of games or win games against tough opponents you will have a low RPI and SOS and will be left holding your johnson wondering why the NCAA hates you so much.

When this season ends, NM will have played 3 teams with an RPI better than 100 (4 if you consider ASU but they won't stay below 100) outside of their conference. Of those 3 games they will have won ZERO games against top 100 non-conference opponents once Dayton beats them. Do you really think the selection committee is going to take a team that can't win a game against a top 100 team if they don't win their conference? Come on.

Last edited:
My favorite part was when NM was down 2 with the ball and under a minute. ******* calls a TO to set a play even though Gary had been owning UNI for the last 5 minutes or so. The call was pretty much...DG, dribble down the middle, try and find a way to penetrate and shoot it....ok? What happens? DG turns the ball over.

Next set they are down 4. One of their guys jacks up a contested NBA off balance 3 and that isn't even close. UNI grabs the ball and the game is over. Commentators even made a point about saying they didn't need to jack up a 3. Love it.

I really don't miss those days. No clue on how to set a play during a TO.

Duke, BC, Miami, NC and Va Tech. Fl St has looked good but haven't played anybody yet. NC St's only losses this year have come against top 25 teams so add them to the list of contenders as well. That's 7 teams that will get a bid before NM unless NM wins 30+ games - which as we have seen tonight simply isn't going to happen.

Outside of Duke the ACC is terrible this year. Miami, UNC and Va Tech have as many quality wins combined as UNLV does. The ACC had a very unimpressive non-conference season. New Mexico will have plenty of shots at quality wins in conference, they don't need 30 wins to get in. A 25 win New Mexico team is in easily, the ACC will struggle to get five teams in this year.

Butler won 33 games last year and the 'Zags won 27 plus were the regular season champs before losing to St Marys in their conf. tournament. Let me spell this out for you. Win games or win your conference and you are in if you are mid-major. If you don't win a ton of games or win games against tough opponents you will have a low RPI and SOS and will be left holding your johnson wondering why the NCAA hates you so much.

When this season ends, NM will have played 3 teams with an RPI better than 100 (4 if you consider ASU but they won't stay below 100) outside of their conference. Of those 3 games they will have won ZERO games against top 100 non-conference opponents once Dayton beats them. Do you really think the selection committee is going to take a team that can't win a game against a top 100 team if they don't win their conference? Come on.

When have I argued that NM was an at-large team? Never. I even said I haven't followed them or seen them play yet this year. I have said that the MWC is a good conference this season, and possibly stronger than the Pac-10. I have also said there are a lot of at-large openings this year for non major programs because the Pac-10 and ACC are so bad. If you took that as me advocating for NM you would be incorrect.

I don't understand how people can have such hatred for a man who left like 4 years ago.

I honestly can't argue basketball if you choose not to educate yourself. I've given you facts about the conferences, the selection process, RPIs, etc. and yet you still think that a mid-major like NM has a chance in hell of getting into the tournament without winning their conference title. You stated that no team in the ACC outside of Duke is worth a crap and yet I gave you 7 teams (I think it was 7, it may have been 6) that all have better SOS, RPI and quality wins already this year.

Basketball super conferences:

Big East

Basketball power conferences:
Big 10
Big 12
ACC
SEC
Pac10

The rest are all going to be called mid-major.

I honestly can't argue basketball if you choose not to educate yourself. I've given you facts about the conferences, the selection process, RPIs, etc. and yet you still think that a mid-major like NM has a chance in hell of getting into the tournament without winning their conference title. You stated that no team in the ACC outside of Duke is worth a crap and yet I gave you 7 teams (I think it was 7, it may have been 6) that all have better SOS, RPI and quality wins already this year.

Basketball super conferences:

Big East

Basketball power conferences:
Big 10
Big 12
ACC
SEC
Pac10

The rest are all going to be called mid-major.

4 teams from New Mexico's conference (Mountain West) made the tourney last year:

New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
BYU

But thanks for the 'education' anyway.....

Last edited:
4 teams from New Mexico's conference (Mountain West) made the tourney last year:

New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
BYU

But thanks for the 'education' anyway.....

And how did that work out for them?

SDSU - first round loss
UNLV - 1st round loss
New Mexico - 2nd round loss
BYU - 2nd round loss.

That's 2-4 in the tournament.

SDSU - first round loss
UNLV - 1st round loss
BYU - 2nd round loss.

So you were proven wrong and now you're changing your argument. You said the only way a MWC team was getting in ahead of 7 ACC teams was by winning their conference. That was clearly not the case last year and won't be the case again this year. So now your arguing about their performance in the tournament? You need to just admit you are wrong.

I don't understand how people can have such hatred for a man who left like 4 years ago.

Just because you haven't seen someone in 4 years, shouldn't exactly change your opinion of them? Who says... "Geesh, I hated him years ago, but haven't seen him in quite some time. I bet he is cool now? "

SDSU - first round loss
UNLV - 1st round loss
BYU - 2nd round loss.

Pretty good for a conference you said could only get 1 team in the dance.

At this point I'm honestly not sure if you're a troll or if you just have poor reading skills, so I am going to bow out of this 'debate' and refer you to HawkeyeMike's post above because he nailed it on the head.

The reason the MWC got four teams in the dance is because the power conferences had down years. Not going to happen every year. NM will have to win the regular season title or have a boat load of wins and win the conference tourny.

You don't have to agree with me but the MWC is still considered a mid-major conference. There are no 'locks' coming out of any mid-major conference, period.

There are only 34 teams that will get an at-large berth to the tournament. The Big East will easily get 8 and probably 10 this year. The Big10 will get atleast 6 and maybe up to 8. The Big12 will land 6. The ACC will get 5, maybe 6. The SEC will get 4 spots. That's 29 of the available 34 spots (once you deduct the automatic qualifier from those conferences).

There is no room at the inn for the MWC this year or any year.

I'll play, Get off your BCS conference bias for a second, but you are correct that the MWC is still a mid-major

The Big East is good but they will not get 10 teams in the tourney, 8 at max. they will start beating on each other when conference play kicks off.

Big East- 8 at most
Big 10-7
Pac-10-2
SEC-4
ACC-4
Big 12-5

MWC-3 maybe 4
Atlantic 10- 2 maybe 3

Then you will have 2 teams from the WAC, 2 or 3 from the Valley, 2 from the Horizon, and 2 or 3 from the CAA all in the running.

This is how it plays out conference wise

Super conference:
Big East

power conference:
Big 10
Big 12
SEC
ACC (only because of Duke)

weak power conference:
Pac-10

super mid-majors:
Mountain West